The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 05:48pm
Official Forum Member

I'm really not trying to argue, just want to make sure I understand. How would screening rules apply? Why would a defensive player be screening an offensive player on an out of bounds play?

If a defensive player is standing in a spot on a floor, under what circumstances would it be OK for an offensive player, with the ball or without, to run them over?

Again, please don't take my question as being argumentative, I just want to make sure I understand what is at play here.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:05pm

If B1 establishes position within A1's field of vision, B1 has to stop short of contact and give A1 a chance to stop or avoid him same as if one of A1's teammates is setting a screen within B's field of vision. If B1 is outside of A1's field of vision, he has to give A1 a minimum of space just like a screen being set outside of field of vision.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:07pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
I'm really not trying to argue, just want to make sure I understand. How would screening rules apply? Why would a defensive player be screening an offensive player on an out of bounds play?

If a defensive player is standing in a spot on a floor, under what circumstances would it be OK for an offensive player, with the ball or without, to run them over?

Again, please don't take my question as being argumentative, I just want to make sure I understand what is at play here.
Screening has a rulebook definition beyond the usual notion of the offensive player "setting a screen."
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
A carnage charge: Charnge!
My office neighbors are wondering why I'm chuckling!
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
I don't like that the rule book does not take into account a player looking away from the defender in order to catch a pass, but alas... it doesn't.

This would fall under ART. 5 of the section on guarding, as the defender was initially defending a moving opponent without the ball. To obtain LGP in this case time and distance are factors. However, when the defender got set the offensive player had time and space to avoid contact... he just didn't see that he had to do so. Unfortunately for myself and that offensive player, being able to see the defender being set doesn't matter. It should... but it doesn't.

deecee mentioned that line of sight doesn't matter, and I missed that.
No one is making the offensive player not look where he is going. The real fault in this play is the his teammate who threw the pass that led him into a charge.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 06:52pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

I think everyone is right by rule that it is a charge, but I definitely agree with the sentiment that it should be a block. It's a total BS play.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 07:59pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I think everyone is right by rule that it is a charge, but I definitely agree with the sentiment that it should be a block. It's a total BS play.
So a ballhandler just has to look away and the contact is the defenders fault?
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 08:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
So a ballhandler just has to look away and the contact is the defenders fault?
No, I think he would apply time and distance rules in this case if he had a choice. IOW, two steps like on a screen.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 08:22pm
NFHS Official

I can see why it's called a block. Looks to me the defender is moving forward when the contact happens, or least leaning forward and into the offensive player.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 08:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
I tend to concur...but I'd still charge this.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 09:38pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Calling a PC foul on the guy catching the ball is not fair at all. He had no chance to avoid the contact.
Bryan, there is only one ruleset where your interp holds water, but I don't think you've attained that lofty level.
Old Mon Feb 03, 2014, 10:32pm
Stubborn Member

My intention is to understand a rule entirely, not just accept what the right call is and move on to the next play. That could very well mean reading into things too much. However, if the end result is a better understanding of the rule, then so be it. Down the road it will make me a better official.

I'm sorry if that stubbornness rubs any of you the wrong way. It's not meant to offend, it's meant to get more out of you.

Or maybe I'm just thick. I don't know. I have a better understanding of the rule, and I'm better for it. I could have just said "okay, it's a charge". But doing so would have been wrong of me. Unless I don't care.

Again... I'm sorry if that's too much for any of you to handle. I'm here to be better. If I make some friends, then that's great. I'd love that. But the bottom line is to be better, and due to my stubbornness I am.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 12:39am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
I tend to concur...but I'd still charge this.
I think it is a dumb offensive play to expect that you can fly down the court without looking where you're going. Even if the defender was there for 3-4 steps as the pass was coming in the offensive player would have still crushed him. Players have to be responsible for where they are moving.

Last edited by Camron Rust; Tue Feb 04, 2014 at 12:50am.
Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think it is a dumb offensive play to expect that you can fly down the court without looking where you're going. Even if the defender was there for 3-4 steps as the pass was coming in the offensive player would have still crushed him. Players have to be responsible for where they are moving.
Except most of the time, the defender isn't there for 3-4 steps and only attempts to take the charge at the last second. IMO, it' just a cheap way to try and play defense much like trying to run over and take a charge under the basket. The latter is all but gone from almost all levels of play...I wouldn't be surprised to see the former get eliminated by more than the NBA in the future.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Tue Feb 04, 2014, 01:11am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I see this the same as I do when it comes to a receiver going for a pass in football.

If a receiver, who is watching the incoming pass not the defense, runs into a defender before making the catch it is the defender who is penalized... not the receiver.

In that case, should the receiver be penalized, while we praise the defender for doing a good job? And do so because the receiver should have looked where he was running? No.

BTW, I'm not using that football reference to say the defender in this thread should have gotten the blocking call. I'm merely showing how somebody could make a legitimate gripe about this rule.

On the flip side, I agree that any player should watch where they're going.

So I'm playing both sides here.