The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 06:44am

Happened at Half, What do you do?

This came up at our recent association meeting. At one of the HS gyms, probably like many, if not most, around the country, two of our officials were in a coach's office behind closed doors in the home team's locker room. According to the officials, the home team's HC was saying loud enough for them to hear things like "these two officials suck" and "that they have no idea what they are doing" and "we know if it comes to it they will get it wrong" etc. The officials did not assess a T because the "R" on the game said they had to treat the half time situation just as if they were in a separate facility even though they were in the same locker room. He felt that the closed door made it a separate area. The coach was whacked later in the game.

Surprisingly to me, our association was split on this. I believe because the coach knew they were in there and spoke loud enough for them to hear him, he gets the T for his comments in the locker room. Others agreed with the R's rationale. What say you?
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 07:15am
Do not give a damn!!

Unless there is an interpretation from someone in your state or local association, then I really do not see the benefit of giving a T in that situation.

Now if I knew this, the coach would be on thin ice. I would not tolerate many comments from that coach moving forward. I would not make an issue out of it. I would not mention it to him or anyone else. I would just not give him the benefit of the doubt when the game continued. And I am not surprised there was a T later.

This fits into the category of "Silence cannot be misquoted." Once you get the genie out of the bottle, then you subject yourself to what others might think or say. And if a coach is too stupid to not be overhead and he is the home coach, it is his fault when it is held against him/her later.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 07:45am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Jeff (is there a full moon? )

If he'd said those things to you while you're on the way to your dressing area that's one thing. He said it in his office so you should leave it alone but his leash for the 2nd half becomes so short he'll need a microscope to see it.

He's doing that for a reason since he knows you and your partner can hear him. It's similar to when a HC says something about you to his AC or other bench personnel while you're right in front of him then when you turn around he says, "I wasn't talking to you." If someone wants to play that game that's fine but he should be prepared to deal with the consequences of his actions.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 08:25am
Official Forum Member

I agree with with what has been said so far. If it's directly to you in the hallway, or dressing room etc. Then T away. Heck you could even toss him. But in a conversation to his kids I wouldn't T. But in the second half his rope would be evaporated.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 08:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't think there is any justification for giving a T here as there is nothing that suggests the the officials have jurisdiction over the locker room. The coach can have whatever opinion he wants while in the locker room at half time.

Other than be more aware of the coaches actions in the second half, I think you just ignore. If I overheard anything (related to the refs or not) from the locker room that was so extreme that it could not be ignored, then I would address it with the Athletic Dept (through my association) after the game. Again, I don't see any authority to penalize what is overheard from inside the locker room.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 08:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

I'd leave it alone at the time, but the location of our dressing area and the loud comments directed our way would go into any report I'd file later.

The coach would have no rope in the second half. I'd whack him on the FIRST opportunity. He'd know why, too, so no explanation would be needed, either.

I disagree with the "no jurisdiction" comment, but I agree that a locker room confrontation is something I'm not interested in pursuing.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 08:51am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
.... It's similar to when a HC says something about you to his AC or other bench personnel while you're right in front of him then when you turn around he says, "I wasn't talking to you."....
I haven't T'd many HC's in my career, but I would say about 1/2 of them started with this scenario.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 08:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
He's doing that for a reason since he knows you and your partner can hear him. It's similar to when a HC says something about you to his AC or other bench personnel while you're right in front of him then when you turn around he says, "I wasn't talking to you." If someone wants to play that game that's fine but he should be prepared to deal with the consequences of his actions.
Funny how adults like to play these childish games.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:11am
Official Forum Member

On the other side of the coin, there was the instance where officials got disciplined for making comments in the dressing room after the game that were overheard by someone at the school (maybe an assistant coach).
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:50am
Official Forum Member

Nothing to see here

None of this would ever hurt my feelings. Maybe venting (although inappropriate as if may be) might be just what this a-hole needs to get it out of his system. Your there to do a job; not to be popular. Be fair, impartial, and officiate what is in front of you. The rest will take care of itself. Like the T this guy eventually received later on in the game.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 09:53am
Official Forum Member

You can't penalize this. But you can report it. And as others have said ... the rope is gone.

West Houston Mike
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:34am

Points all well taken. That is why I love having this board to bring these type of things forward for discussion. Our association was really split over the jurisdiction issue. The others in favor of the T felt that the locker room didn't give the coach a free shot believing he knew he would be heard by the crew. I was in that camp but I am now in agreement with all of you. It was reported to the school's AD and the State Sportsmanship Committee. Thanks.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:41am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm with Rich. I think we do have jurisdiction, and the coach may as well have been yelling at you through your door. However, unless directed otherwise, I'm going to try to maintain the sanctity of the locker room.

No rope, no warnings in the second half.
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

If we penalize the coach during the half-time without being confronted, it is going to turn into a "hearsay" situation. And then we are going to be confronted with more questions than I would like to take on. I just can imagine the conversations coming from assignors or the state if that is why we penalized a coach for just for what we overheard. This is why IMO wait until he acts up on the court and then it makes him wonder. Then we got him where we want him, rather than giving him a "victim" role that will be played if we come out and give a T for something no one was around to witness.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 20, 2014, 11:06am

+1 Jeff!