The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 07:21pm
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge RA Play: Off Rebound

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Sat May 05, 2012, 10:53pm
beware big brother

there is no restricted area on plays where person who gets offensive goes right to the basket because none of the defenders are considered secondary defenders.
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 11:05pm
Do not give a damn!!

It looks like the defender was legal. Not sure what he did wrong and it would help if the official let everyone what he called. He was way too casual and did not seem to signal anything.

Peace
Old Sat May 05, 2012, 11:39pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It looks like the defender was legal. Not sure what he did wrong and it would help if the official let everyone what he called. He was way too casual and did not seem to signal anything.

Peace
Agreed. I've got a charge on this, and how is the defender not a primary defender? He's the first guy on the shooter after the rebound is gathered.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 04:23am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post

Peace
If you look at the 11 second mark, you can see, what looks like, the lead pointing at the RA and indicating, a blocking foul (in his mind) due to the RA.

NCAA Case Book (2011-2013)

A.R. 125. Player A1 attempts a shot, which bounces off the rim and is rebounded by A2. (1) Player A2 who is in the lane area immediately attempts a put back and crashes into the torso of B2, who is positioned within the restricted area; or (2) Player A2, who is located on the wing just inside the three point line, gains possession of a long rebound and immediately drives to the basket with no defender. Player A2 crashes into the torso of B2 who is located within the restricted area.

RULING: When A2 rebounds the ball and immediately makes a move to the basket, there is no secondary defender and the restricted area rule is not in effect. When illegal contact occurs it is player control/charging foul on A2. (Rule 4-61.3, 4-56, and 10-1.12)

Playing devil's advocate, perhaps the lead didn't think the move by A1 was immediate?
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Sun May 06, 2012, 10:56am
Official Forum Member

My 2 cents

Looks to me like the L didn't know what he had, so he blew his whistle, probably replayed it. Then quickly thought, oh he's in the RA, so I can get out of this, then points down.

Clearly he didn't know that rule and neither did I, so learned something.

Thanks for posting.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Although it appears he called it as an RA call, the defender was moving forward (bellying up)...which made it a good block call for the wrong reason.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 11:39am
beware big brother

APG thanks for posting the rule, apparently my Sheldonesque knowledge of the rules is underestimated because I think I said the exact same thing in the first reply to this post. now if you want to debate the other merits to determine offensive/defensive foul, please continue.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
APG thanks for posting the rule, apparently my Sheldonesque knowledge of the rules is underestimated because I think I said the exact same thing in the first reply to this post. now if you want to debate the other merits to determine offensive/defensive foul, please continue.
Unfortunately, your first post seems to be missing a few words and isn't exactly clear.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 11:58am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Forgive APG for not relying on your post and instead posting an actual rule. I hope your feelings weren't hurt too badly, and I hope you don't feel too disrespected to continue regaling us with your Sheldonesque rules knowledge.

Now, you're in my spot.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 01:18pm
Courageous When Prudent

Yeah, the Lead definitely points to the RA. That conference almost always has an observer at its games so I'm sure this play was discussed afterwards.
Old Sun May 06, 2012, 11:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I did not post the case book play because I underestimated your Sheldonesque (thumbs up for TBBT reference) knowledge of the rules. I meant no ill will posting the play...rather I posted it more to supplement and make clearer your point.

Old Sun May 06, 2012, 11:51pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Sorry my man, I actually appreciated APG's reference. That is what we do here often. I think you need to lighten up a little bit and relax. No harm was meant to what you stated. The rule helps us get away from just our opinion of what we think the rule says.

Peace
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 09:50am
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Shall we just close the thread after you reply from now on?

Am I crazy here for thinking maybe no whistle at all is OK? Defender seems to be moving forward some and perhaps embellishes the contact a little (oh no not that again).
Old Mon May 07, 2012, 10:52am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Cameron and Welpe. Defender moves forward just as offensive player jumps toward the basketball. Either way the play deserved a whistle and in my opinion the defensive block was the correct call.