The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Pre Tip Off question

Guys, first post from a rookie ref.

Last night, Middle School Varsity game, I'm the R. I go to table at 10:00 minute mark to check book. Home book is blank and no bookeeper to be found. Visitors book is on table, filled out but no scorekeeper. I ask home coach about bookeeper and filling out rosters and she says she doesn't know where bookeeeper is and they will get to it when she gets there. I wait a couple of minutes, assistant coach finally sets down to begin filling out book at 6:00 mark. She writes a few names at her leisure and begins chatting with someone in the crowd. At the 3:00 mark, I tell her she needs to complete the book now as the game is about to start. She give me a dirty look, quickly fills out the remaining spots and shoves the book toward me while slamming down the pencil. Head coach is standing there, I tell them both that there is no need to throw things, that I have been very patient and have not accessed the technical foul that they earned for not having their book ready at the 10:00 mark. Head coach says "whatever, go ahead and give us a technical" and walks off. I resist the urge to whack her and proceed to sign the book and get game started.

Would you guys have handled this situation any differently?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 08:51am
Official Forum Member

In middle school games these protocols are very lax. however when a coach asks for a T I always oblige. You should have said "you got it". No need to blow the whistle and make a scene. Let the coach know that she he/she has lost her coaches box privileges since this would be a direct T for being a PITA.

Let the book know what to record, inform the other coach that the game will start with 2 FT's and their ball and that the arrow will be set to the team that received the T. I would also tell the scorekeeper that if his/her attitude didn't change you would either find someone else to do the job or just transfer the responsibility to the visiting book.

My patience at lower level games for attitude is almost at 0. Which is why I don't do them anymore.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

It's Middle School. I'm not sure the last time I checked a MS book. I'm happy to see someone sitting there ready to go. My main concern is do they know how to operate the game clock and do they know when to reset the shot clock - seeing as the table crew themselves are MSers.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:05am
Official Forum Member

You need to figure out how strictly this is handled in your area.

Also, remember that the requirement is only to give the information to the scorer by 10 minutes -- it doesn't need to be in the book. So, if the roster and starters were the same as in the previous game, you *could* make a case that the information was provided by just putting the book on the table.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:18am
Official Forum Member

Thanks for the replies. I wasn't to concerned that it wasn't ready at 10:00, I just wanted to get the game going. I just didn't like them getting pissy with me because I thought the book should be ready 3:00 before tipoff and the HC asking for the T
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 09:22am
Official Forum Member

I would suggest first that you lower your table and pre-game protocol expectations for middle school games. That said - I agree with the first post - ALWAYS accept the invitation by a coach to give them a T. There was no need for that attitude toward you at the get-go.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:20am
Official Forum Member

My table expectations for MS games is low...........so if everything is ready to go at 3 minutes it's a bonus. I agree, if the coach wants the T then I'm more than happy to oblige.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbogcpa View Post
I wasn't to concerned that it wasn't ready at 10:00, I just wanted to get the game going.
I mean this in all seriousness: At that level, if you want to get the game going, just put the numbers in the book yourself.

It's good practice for the AAU assembly line of games anyway
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:24am
Administrator

The previous post have given good information about how to hand your situation. But you had one other weapon in your bag of tricks: Declare the Visitor's Scorebook the Official Scorebook.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 10:31am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
I mean this in all seriousness: At that level, if you want to get the game going, just put the numbers in the book yourself.

It's good practice for the AAU assembly line of games anyway
Seriously, you have to put numbers in the book for AAU?
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Seriously, you have to put numbers in the book for AAU?
On occasion, sure. A lot of tournaments require each team to supply someone for the table (book/clock), and that is often hard enough ... never mind how long it takes or how little the anointed individuals know about their unwanted duties.

When the train must keep moving, sometimes you need to grease the wheels.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

Reading some of these responses has been quite interesting. In these parts, we don't lower the expectations for M.S. games. The expectations are the same as they are for H.S. games. I guess "when in Rome ...".
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:31am
Get away from me, Steve.

I filled in on a MS game 3 years ago at the last minute.

I showed up the way I always do. With a bag and dressed nicely. The only change I made was I showed up 30 minutes before game time instead of an hour.

There was nobody in the gym and the gym was dark.

When someone finally came along, they couldn't understand why I needed a room to change. "All of our refs come dressed to ref."

Le sigh. Not even sure I checked the book, come to think of it.

That said, I had fun that day once we finally got it going. My partner, BTW, showed up dressed with about 90 seconds left before game time.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 11:40am
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODog View Post
On occasion, sure. A lot of tournaments require each team to supply someone for the table (book/clock), and that is often hard enough ... never mind how long it takes or how little the anointed individuals know about their unwanted duties.

When the train must keep moving, sometimes you need to grease the wheels.
In an aau game, I could not care less whether there are names and numbers in the book. In fact, I don't really care if there is someone there doing the book. As long as there is somebody there to push the start button on the clock, the table is good enough. We would never delay the start of the game for a book keeping issue in an aau game. Whoever decides to do the book can put the numbers in on the fly.
Old Fri Jan 31, 2014, 12:24pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I filled in on a MS game 3 years ago at the last minute.

I showed up the way I always do. With a bag and dressed nicely. The only change I made was I showed up 30 minutes before game time instead of an hour.

There was nobody in the gym and the gym was dark.

When someone finally came along, they couldn't understand why I needed a room to change. "All of our refs come dressed to ref."

Le sigh. Not even sure I checked the book, come to think of it.

That said, I had fun that day once we finally got it going. My partner, BTW, showed up dressed with about 90 seconds left before game time.
Around here, for MS games it's quite common (and accepted) that officials show up dressed (this goes for basketball, football, baseball, softball, and volleyball - that I know of). In many cases, the game times are scheduled such that officials with normal jobs cannot make them early enough to change at the site.

And honestly, the "arriving 90 seconds before tip" happens at that level way more than I'm comfortable with. I do remember working one MS football game where I was the only one there at game time --- coaches said start it up (there were 3 games that night) so I did - with assistant coaches working wings. Partner one showed up about 5 minutes into the first quarter; partner two just after the 2nd quarter started.

Varsity and JV (all sports) - officials do it "right"... Freshman and MS, not so much.

West Houston Mike