Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 04:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Does this interp tell us that "control" is a judgement call?

...Not a "rule" being inadvertently set aside?

It is the only thing I can come up with as to why it is not a CE...or why the powers that be in Virginia would/could not hear a protest concerning the OP.

Something to think about.
That is the only way I can reconcile this case play.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 12:07pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
My Association. Long discussion at the Meeting the other night. In this day and age of videos and social media, there is no hiding. We blew it. We are moving on as best we can and going forward.
Care to expand on the discussion that took place at the meeting, what happened with the officials who kicked it, etc
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:44pm
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Care to expand on the discussion that took place at the meeting, what happened with the officials who kicked it, etc
We reviewed the play and discussed the issue at hand and used it as a teaching moment. No discussion or explanation was had about any ramifications for the officials who refereed the game.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 01:15am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
We reviewed the play and discussed the issue at hand and used it as a teaching moment. No discussion or explanation was had about any ramifications for the officials who refereed the game.
Did the officials give a reason for their actions? In the video one official raises his right arm to signal it would be a 3 pointer if good, but it looks like he puts the arm down, rather than raising his left arm. In other words, he seems to have caught his mistake and knew the basket shouldn't have counted. It looks like the fans, of course, don't know the rule and rush the court. The officials hustle off the court to avoid the melee.

The only explanation I see is they probably all get in the dressing room and say to each other, "you waved that off, right?". "I thought you did." "Huh?" "I think we just f'ed up."
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 08:00am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
Did the officials give a reason for their actions?
The officials names were never given nor was the video shown. We discussed the play as it was officially reported and what should have been done.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 12:34pm
Official Forum Member

Late to the party but I haven't had time to be on here recently and I happen to have a game tonight at the school where this occurred.

Obviously, I am in the same association as Grunewar and also attended our meeting the other week where we discussed this.

The main takeaway was that crew missed several opportunities to get together and get this right. We all have brain farts and can kick a rule but there was an evident lack of communication and coming together that could have saved the crew from this unfortunate incident.

Names were not mentioned and as expected nothing was discussed about any possible repercussions. I will say that I have since found out who all 3 officials were. I've worked with each of them and 2 of the 3 are state level HS officials. One has worked some D1 men's and another who has worked some level of NCAAW.

It will be very interesting to see how this plays out in terms of post-season assignments from our association.
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 03:43pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
A number of people have pointed out D1 officials – some of them very experienced – make mistakes, too. It happens.

I agree with Jeff’s comment regarding these officials being fired if this was a D1 game. The NCAA assignors I’ve had all have said the same thing: Everybody kicks calls. They won’t tolerate it if we kick a rule. This play involved kicking a rule.

For those who have asked whether this would’ve been just as egregious if the play was at the end of any of the other three quarters: yes it would because it involved kicking a rule. The only difference is they might have been able to get themselves out of it, especially if it happened at the end of the 2nd quarter since they would’ve had a ten-minute intermission to figure things out.
So if they had called a technical foul and resumed the game at POI, would you think they should be fired?
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
So if they had called a technical foul and resumed the game at POI, would you think they should be fired?
A technical foul for...?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Mon Jan 27, 2014, 05:48pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
A technical foul for...?
It's a hypothetical T to ask about how upset he gets about other rule issues that are actually quite common.

I had a boys game last week where we had two quarters where we were going to resume play with .9 second on the clock. One was the 4th quarter, with three free throws for the visiting team trailing by 3.

We gathered to clarify, just to be sure, that the ball could be caught and shot. The coach also asked, just to make sure.

The defense got the rebound anyway, so it didn't matter.
Old Tue Jan 28, 2014, 01:35pm
Often wrong never n doubt

I had one with .3 remaining and the offense ran the perfect play with the lob. The offense about 3 feet away caught and shot. I had the whistle before the ball got to the rim. If these guys deserved to be fired do I deserve a raise? Maybe not because I thought of this thread before the play began. You guys might have saved me from getting fired.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 05:09pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
No, the covering association provided the 3 floor officials and a trained clock operator.
The clock operator is also an official, and is the alternate should one of the 3 floor officials be unable to continue. Therefore, the clock operator also wears a uniform, including the striped shirt. That is why the article author noted that there were 4 men in stripes.
Old Wed Sep 12, 2018, 05:47pm
I got a Basketball Jones!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The clock operator is also an official, and is the alternate should one of the 3 floor officials be unable to continue. Therefore, the clock operator also wears a uniform, including the striped shirt. That is why the article author noted that there were 4 men in stripes.
Can't imagine why you felt the need to revisit this zombie post to add your inimitably enlightened perspective.

Don't you have more important things to do like parsing the rules for Filipino Basketball Association 3 on 3 midget contests?

I know Cecil gives gives priority in varsity assignments for being able to recite such nuggets of wisdom.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 06:10am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Talking Dead ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
No possibility that some Forum members are brand new and have only read recent posts?
I was wrong, in spades.

Quote:
Originally Posted by justacoach View Post
Don't you have more important things to do like parsing the rules for Filipino Basketball Association 3 on 3 midget contests?
Agree. If you're a high school official right now, especially with less than five years of varsity experience, stick to high school rules and mechanics. Become a high school expert.

When you become a college official, only then concentrate on college rules and mechanics. Same advice for FIBA, the NBA, WNBA, etc.

It's way to early to think about situations you will be facing working an NCAA Final Four game, an Olympic final, or an NBA final.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with having goals, but take it one step at a time, don't jump the gun, pick your favorite expression.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Sep 13, 2018 at 03:41pm.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 07:17am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilyazhito View Post
The clock operator is also an official, and is the alternate should one of the 3 floor officials be unable to continue. Therefore, the clock operator also wears a uniform, including the striped shirt.
reference, please.
Old Thu Sep 13, 2018, 09:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
reference, please.
Please don't feed him...