The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:21pm
MWI

Race Controversy in Nebraska

There is some debate beginning on how officials are selected to work the girls and boys state tournament. How is this done in other states. Here are some articles.

NSAA to review selection process of state basketball officials

Black refs unhappy to be left out - Omaha.com

Last edited by MWI; Wed Mar 09, 2011 at 10:44pm.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 10:25pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MWI View Post
There is some debate beginning on how officials are selected to work the girls and boys state tournament. How is this done in other states. Here are some articles.

NSAA to review selection process of state basketball officials

Black refs unhappy to be left out - Omaha.com
10 whole years and not selected to work the state tournament. Wow. What a travesty.
Old Wed Mar 09, 2011, 11:52pm
Do not give a damn!!

I am surprised there are Black people in Nebraska to begin with (that is a little joke I tell someone I know from Omaha).

All I will say is our state does the assigning from the IHSA Office by the administrator of that sport (one for Boy's and one for Girl's Basketball). They have a lot of things they consider from a Power Rating to where you live. And they do make an effort for diversity as our teams are very diverse. It would look silly if you had all white officials and none of the coaches or players looked like the officials. I am going to assume that might not be as much of an issue in all of Nebraska.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:14am
Official Forum Member

One of the articles mentions 150 officials qualifying for the state tournament. This is incorrect. There were 274 officials who qualified. 72 were selected.

I'm fighting along with these guys to get into the state tournament. I have really no comment on the issues brought up, but my only complaint is it seems like it's the same guys going every year. Like the article mentions, there are several quality officials that don't end up going.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 12:38am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAJ View Post
my only complaint is it seems like it's the same guys going every year.
Isn't that true in many states?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 01:38am
Official Forum Member

While there may be a real issue there, it doesn't matter who you send....many are going to feel they should have gone instead those get selected. The basic fact is that there are very limited slots and a lot of people that want them.

Also, I find it hilarious that a 10 year official things he's getting unfair treatment because he hadn't been selected yet. I'm not sure we've sent an official from our association with under 10 years experience at all in modern history. 10-15 years for the first tourney is fairly typical.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 02:11am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
While there may be a real issue there, it doesn't matter who you send....many are going to feel they should have gone instead those get selected. The basic fact is that there are very limited slots and a lot of people that want them.
I agree. There are always going to be officials that feel that they should have been picked over someone else. And even when you move through the playoffs (at least in our system) there are those that feel they should have moved before someone else. This will never end no matter the race, gender, area, experience level and background.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Also, I find it hilarious that a 10 year official things he's getting unfair treatment because he hadn't been selected yet. I'm not sure we've sent an official from our association with under 10 years experience at all in modern history. 10-15 years for the first tourney is fairly typical.
Ten years around here might be a little long here, but then again everyone makes the playoffs here, so they need more officials. But then again getting playoff games changes from one gender or one level to another.

Peace
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 05:56am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
One of the articles mentions 150 officials qualifying for the state tournament. This is incorrect. There were 274 officials who qualified. 72 were selected.
If that is true, then either 5 or 6 black officials should be selected to work the tournament, IF all officials were of the same quality etc, and were available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jug's Excel
274 252 22
72 66.22 5.78
That means 2.5 or 3 officials for each gender. Well, it turns out that 2 went to the boy's tournament. Chanell Hickey said, "The numbers don't lie". There is clearly no evidence that this group is being shunned from the boy's tournament. All things being equal, they should send 1 more black official. But guess what? That would only be true if all non-selected officials graded out evenly. We know that's not true. If there was a significant history of "more black officials should be going" then I'd address it. But based on this year alone, this is not news worthy.

The first article does claim that there is a small history of "blacks not getting in". However, the official that made this claim, Chanell Hickey, did not provide any demographics. It is also clear that the reporter didn't ask the NSAA for this information. Maybe 5 years ago there were only 5 black officials. Maybe there were 50. We don't know, so we can't take past history into account. Until we know facts, the article is nothing except misleading and should be ignored as news.

Why there wasn't 2 or 3 officials sent to the girl's tournament I am not sure. They did say elements like geography come into play - which means even if one official is only slightly less qualified, but lives in town, and another officials lives at some distance, then they'll pic the local official. It would make sense to me, statistically, to have at least 1 black official at the girl's tournament. Statistically, there should be at least 1 qualified black official that doesn't live far far away. But again, without previous years' facts to establish a pattern, the story is nothing.

If the girl's tournament is located in the same city as the boy's tournament, perhaps the same two black officials could have worked both tournaments?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Article 2
Plus, if an all-white officiating crew calls a game between a predominantly white team and a predominantly black team, they say, questions about fairness can arise in the bleachers and on the bench.
They're basically calling non-black officials racist without evidence.

Quote:
I'm fighting along with these guys to get into the state tournament. I have really no comment on the issues brought up, but my only complaint is it seems like it's the same guys going every year. Like the article mentions, there are several quality officials that don't end up going.
The bell curve will suggest that of the 72 selected, some will go multiple years in a row. Some will go off and on based on that year's ratings, or a few years in a row. The best will filter to the group that will eventually be perennials. So the key is to break that from group that often sits on the bubble.

Last edited by JugglingReferee; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 06:28am.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:00am
Official Forum Member

The girls and boys tournament's are both held in Lincoln.

Hickey does have a valid concern about experience. At the girls tournament this year, there was one 1st year certified official and two 2nd year certified officials working the games. In the boys tournament there are 2 second year certified officials working the games.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:16am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Hickey does have a valid concern about experience. At the girls tournament this year, there was one 1st year certified official and two 2nd year certified officials working the games. In the boys tournament there are 2 second year certified officials working the games.
That's years of being certified though, isn't it, instead of actual officiating experience? According to the article, that means these officials had to have at least five years of experience before they could get certified. Iow, the first and second year certified officials mentioned above have at least 6/7 years of experience and possibly more. That doesn't seem outrageous to me at all for someone doing first-round girls playoffs.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurassic Referee View Post
That's years of being certified though, isn't it, instead of actual officiating experience? According to the article, that means these officials had to have at least five years of experience before they could get certified. Iow, the first and second year certified officials mentioned above have at least 6/7 years of experience and possibly more. That doesn't seem outrageous to me at all for someone doing first-round girls playoffs.
Yeah, they've had at least 2 years of Registered status and at least 2 years of Approved status before becoming Certified.

As for first round...that's not first round...that's finals. If you consider all post season play as part of the "State Tournament", then the NSAA uses all classification levels of officials in the subdistrict/district final rounds. All district final winners meet in Lincoln for the three day state tournament. Only certified officials can work those games. All officials are guaranteed two games the first day, one game the second day, and one game the third day (Nebraska has 3rd place games).
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:35am
In Memoriam

Quote:
Yeah, they've had at least 2 years of Registered status and at least 2 years of Approved status before becoming Certified.

As for first round...that's not first round...that's finals.
I still don't really find that outrageous by any means. I've seen quite a few officials with 7/8 years experience who were better than someone with 27 years experience. Hell, I've seen guys with less experience than that get picked up by a D1 conference. I think you have to assess the ability of the official to do the level you to assign them too. If they qualify, use 'em. You'll never know how ready they are though unless you give them a chance. Then.....well, it's up to them.

JMO
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:35am
Official Forum Member

A little FYI in case anyone cared. Chanelle Hickey is a convicted felon who has spent time in the NE State Penitentiary (not a lot of time...around a year I think) I am just wondering how other states handle this situation. Should a state activities association be concerned with who they hire?? What are other states' policy on this?
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:45am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker27 View Post
A little FYI in case anyone cared. Chanelle Hickey is a convicted felon who has spent time in the NE State Penitentiary (not a lot of time...around a year I think) I am just wondering how other states handle this situation. Should a state activities association be concerned with who they hire?? What are other states' policy on this?
Depends what he was in for, as far as I'm concerned. I'd lean in the direction "they should be concerned," yes.

But expecting to get to the state tournament (and we're not talking about early round playoffs here) and crying racism after 10 years of service is a little ridiculous, IMO. I'm only 9 years in my current state and this is a battle I fight (because as far as the state is concerned, my first 15 years don't really exist) in all my sports.

Last edited by Rich; Thu Mar 10, 2011 at 09:48am.
Old Thu Mar 10, 2011, 09:52am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by parker27 View Post
States should have some sort of background check. Assuming NE does, and Mr. Hickey answered honestly, and NE "approved" the information, I have no problem with him officiating.