The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 08:52am
Official Forum Member

Nevada-
This year I am handling jv boys,varsity girls,and varsity boys books.Doing the prep work early means I can say to my varsity crew that starters & rosters are in well before the start of warm-ups for each game.Also gives me a chance to eat dinner

Here I think all of our board wants the timeout count in late game situations so they can tell the coaches.

The_Rookie-my 8th year as an official scorer and have never been a part of a CE situation (knock on wood). I have however had two book T's in the last 3 years involving number changes not communicated to me by coaches.

Nevada-you're not a fan of the verbal warning on fouls 6 & 9? Our people love it when the scorer does this.I think it shows that the scorer is engaged in the game in front of them and not off in la la land staring into the ceiling.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 08:59am
I miss being on the floor

I don't think it's possible to communicate the foul situation enough. Obviously, good officials know when they should grab shooters, but having the table be in sync with us is comforting.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 01:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
No, it's a terrible question. The shot clock has nothing to do with the jump ball.
You are right that the shot clock has nothing to do with a jump ball. But the shot clock operators answer to the question is an indicator of their knowledge of when to reset. Did you even read the question and the reasoning behind it?
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 05:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
You are right that the shot clock has nothing to do with a jump ball. But the shot clock operators answer to the question is an indicator of their knowledge of when to reset. Did you even read the question and the reasoning behind it?
Yep, and sadly, I understand the question much better than you do. Since you clearly haven't grasped the point that I or Sniper were making with our previous posts, I'm going to spell it out for you.

Asking the shot clock operator about the JUMP ball is silly. What would be productive would be to inquire about a reset on a HELD ball. Your lack of precision in rules book terminology is sloppy and alters the meaning of the question.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 06:03am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
Nevada-
This year I am handling jv boys,varsity girls,and varsity boys books.Doing the prep work early means I can say to my varsity crew that starters & rosters are in well before the start of warm-ups for each game.Also gives me a chance to eat dinner
So from where do you obtain this information so far in advance? How do you know that it is accurate if it doesn't come from a team representative? That would be my concern with you attempting to be prepared and complete the book work early. Otherwise, I admire your effort.

Quote:
Here I think all of our board wants the timeout count in late game situations so they can tell the coaches.
I believe that this is both unnecessary and potentially problematic. I actually track the time-outs in my head during a game or some locations post this info (TOL) on the scoreboard. I understand the value of having awareness of the time-out situation, but it cannot change the official granting a request when properly made. Informing the coaches of how many they have left is not a good practice as it can only lead to a problem when incorrect information is passed. What a mess when the coach who was just told that he had one TO left makes the request and the official grants it only to be informed that the team really was out! The officials should stick to the rule and only inform the team when it uses its last time-out.

Quote:
The_Rookie-my 8th year as an official scorer and have never been a part of a CE situation (knock on wood). I have however had two book T's in the last 3 years involving number changes not communicated to me by coaches.
So I must ask if this has to do with your early prep work and the source of your information on a team's names and numbers. Btw it is still a T to change a number, even if the coach informs the scorer, if it is after the 10-minute mark, unless there is some circumstance such as a torn or bloody jersey which allows for it. I'm sure that you know that.

Quote:
Nevada-you're not a fan of the verbal warning on fouls 6 & 9? Our people love it when the scorer does this.I think it shows that the scorer is engaged in the game in front of them and not off in la la land staring into the ceiling.
Depends upon exactly what the scorer says, but in general in not a fan or that practice. I can see for myself on the scoreboard that it is team foul six or nine. I don't like it when partners, trying to be helpful, signal 1-1 on the next one as I prepare to administer a throw-in or the first of two FTs for a shooting foul. That is confusing and makes me pause and check the foul count before continuing.
I would much rather my partner either wait until the next dead ball or say "that's six [nine]" than "1-1 down here" or "1-1 on this end" as most people don't even state "next time." So perhaps a scorer saying "that's six" or "that's nine" could be helpful, but most gyms have a PA announcer say that anyway.

No offense intended, but sometimes less is more.
Old Mon Jan 20, 2014, 12:05pm
Official Forum Member

Nevada-one of those Ts was a kid left his regular jersey at home.Coaches grabbed a spare from the uniform room and failed to report the change.At the first dead ball the kid checked in and I had no choice but to report it.During the regular season I keep rosters in a notebook obtained by maxpreps.First thing I do when the varsity coaches arrive is hand them a copy of their roster as submitted and ask them to do the following-
A.Mark the starters
B.Verify/Correct #s or player names list and make any additions (if necessary)

The second one was during a tournament situation where a kid was wearing #45 the first two days but wore #44 the last day.Coach (who was the school's AD,forced to take over coaching duties 2 weeks prior) forgot to inform me as did his scorer.In our tournament (where this occurred) we have a program with all the names and numbers that after the first day we expect coaches to inform us of any corrections.Usually the only thing I ask the coaches is "Same starters as yesterday?" If a school played musical numbers on me I will ask the coach to verify numbers.

My warning is pretty simple for fouls 6/9-"Bonus/Double Bonus on the next (insert official's name here)"

For timeout count I've stopped counting it all the way down and just notified when last 30 or full is used or given count when asked.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper