The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 05:19pm
Ok is the new good

Table for 2 Please!

So far this season, I have had more table issues than in years past. I had 2 correctable errors in the same week when I normally would get one all season!

Both involved the score board showing 7 fouls and the player shooting the 1+1 and then the table hitting the horn saying both books only show 6 team fouls. This all happened before the next dead ball so correctable.

A weak table can make the crew look bad and lead to discussions and shot clock corrections etc...all of which makes the game more challenging to work

Any suggestions on handling the table better?
Old Thu Jan 16, 2014, 05:43pm
Official Forum Member

Our problem has been the timer with subs. No horn or hitting the horn after a missed free throw and the other team has the ball to mid court.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 12:57pm
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Our problem has been the timer with subs. No horn or hitting the horn after a missed free throw and the other team has the ball to mid court.
I have thought about creating a short one page document outlining all of the responsibilities that are important to game management for the table to do. One section for the timer, one section for the scoreboard operator and one for the books. Things such as when to sound a horn, books to compare scores and fouls periodically, no changes to book unless informing the officials ( I wonder how often this happens and we don't know about it) etc.
Does anyone else care to help and we can make one now? What else would you add?
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I have thought about creating a short one page document outlining all of the responsibilities that are important to game management for the table to do. One section for the timer, one section for the scoreboard operator and one for the books. Things such as when to sound a horn, books to compare scores and fouls periodically, no changes to book unless informing the officials ( I wonder how often this happens and we don't know about it) etc.
Does anyone else care to help and we can make one now? What else would you add?
Instructions to and Duties of Scorers and Timers for Basketball Games

Concerning table crews, not always are you going to get personnel who have a full knowledge of what they are doing, nor know the rules concerning their roles/responsibilities.

Concerning shot clock rules, those vary by the state depending on the timing regulations.

Last edited by chseagle; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 02:23pm. Reason: Hyperlink for Table crew roles/responsibilities
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:12pm
Official Forum Member

You might want to see if the one on the NFHS site under basketball works for you.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:19pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mregor View Post
You might want to see if the one on the NFHS site under basketball works for you.
Unless they've revised the documents recently, they haven't yet updated the instructions to say no bonus/free-throws are awarded for team-control fouls.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 02:25pm
Esteemed Forum Member

NFHS Instructions To Scorers And Timers ...

https://nfhs-basketball.arbitersport...ball_Games.pdf
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 05:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post
So far this season, I have had more table issues than in years past. I had 2 correctable errors in the same week when I normally would get one all season!

Both involved the score board showing 7 fouls and the player shooting the 1+1 and then the table hitting the horn saying both books only show 6 team fouls. This all happened before the next dead ball so correctable.

A weak table can make the crew look bad and lead to discussions and shot clock corrections etc...all of which makes the game more challenging to work

In my 11 years I've only had 2. Some tables may be less experienced than others but in my experience all that means is more "management" from the officials.

I ask the shot clock operator one question, "does the shot clock reset on a jump ball?" depending on their answer and how they answer I can tell their level of experience and knowledge. Other than that, there is NO amount of talking you can do to the table, or "teaching", that will make much of a difference in your game.

I ask the book one favor, to verbally let us know when a team reaches 5 and 6 team fouls. 99.8% of the time the will get one of these right .
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 08:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
In my 11 years I've only had 2. Some tables may be less experienced than others but in my experience all that means is more "management" from the officials.

I ask the shot clock operator one question, "does the shot clock reset on a jump ball?" depending on their answer and how they answer I can tell their level of experience and knowledge. Other than that, there is NO amount of talking you can do to the table, or "teaching", that will make much of a difference in your game.

I ask the book one favor, to verbally let us know when a team reaches 5 and 6 team fouls. 99.8% of the time the will get one of these right .
Is your answer your looking for from the operator "is this a trick question? "
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 10:05pm
Official Forum Member

Table problems... Don't get me started. At least 1 per week when the timer does not start the clock. I try not to yell, "Start Clock". I just keep a count in my head and when it is appropriate, then I blow the whistle and have them take time off. Geeez
Last night was the worst. After the 1st quarter the scorekeepers spend at least 10 minutes trying to get all the score book corrected. I tried to say that the book at the table was the official book. Make the adjustment in the secondary book and more on.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:19pm
Official Forum Member

OK here are my rules for scorekeeping-I am probably one of the more tenured scorekeepers in my section,having served at my school as the full time varsity scorekeeper since '06-'07.

*Verbal notification-warn officials after reporting the 6th and 9th fouls that the next foul brings about the bonus/double bonus.
Ex-"Bonus on the next Tom"

*Timeout notification-Notify officials when the following occurs:
A.Team has used their final timeout of that type (indicate count)
Ex-"Final full for white Tim."

B.When both teams have exhausted the same kind of timeout.
Ex-White uses a :30 with 2:20 in the 4th.It is the last :30 for both sides."Final :30 for white Bob.All timeouts are now fulls (indicate count).

C.Two point shot where shooters foot is on the line-When I have a situation where the shooter's foot is on the line and the official marks it with 2 fingers to their waist I yell "Two" "Two" for both the other scorebook and timer to hear.

D.If handling multiple games do as much prep as you can before your first game of the day.

E.Keep a running audit of the fouls on the bottom of the book.We use the mark V books-on the bottom you have no room for this so when I cross off the team foul I mark the jersey # of the player committing said foul.

F.When a timeout is called with a side having only one type left signal the type remaining before the official goes to the huddle to ask the coach.Signal that a team has used their final timeout with a closed fist (left hand indicates the home team is out,right hand indicates visiting team is out) and verbally warn.
The golfing volleyball ref and official scorekeeper

Last edited by SCalScoreKeeper; Sat Jan 18, 2014 at 11:38pm.
Old Sat Jan 18, 2014, 11:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNIPERBBB View Post
Is your answer your looking for from the operator "is this a trick question? "
No, its a great question to ask a shot clock operator.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Rookie View Post

Every time there is a foul, look at the board and watch the number get posted, then inbound the ball. If you do that how can the foul total on the board be incorrect?

I'm stunned that you have so many CEs. I've been involved in 1 in 17 years.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:14am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCalScoreKeeper View Post
OK here are my rules for scorekeeping-I am probably one of the more tenured scorekeepers in my section,having served at my school as the full time varsity scorekeeper since '06-'07.

*Verbal notification-warn officials after reporting the 6th and 9th fouls that the next foul brings about the bonus/double bonus.
Ex-"Bonus on the next Tom"

*Timeout notification-Notify officials when the following occurs:
A.Team has used their final timeout of that type (indicate count)
Ex-"Final full for white Tim."

B.When both teams have exhausted the same kind of timeout.
Ex-White uses a :30 with 2:20 in the 4th.It is the last :30 for both sides."Final :30 for white Bob.All timeouts are now fulls (indicate count).

C.Two point shot where shooters foot is on the line-When I have a situation where the shooter's foot is on the line and the official marks it with 2 fingers to their waist I yell "Two" "Two" for both the other scorebook and timer to hear.

D.If handling multiple games do as much prep as you can before your first game of the day.

E.Keep a running audit of the fouls on the bottom of the book.We use the mark V books-on the bottom you have no room for this so when I cross off the team foul I mark the jersey # of the player committing said foul.

F.When a timeout is called with a side having only one type left signal the type remaining before the official goes to the huddle to ask the coach.Signal that a team has used their final timeout with a closed fist (left hand indicates the home team is out,right hand indicates visiting team is out) and verbally warn.
Of the things that you do F is the only thing that I would want from a scorer.
Old Sun Jan 19, 2014, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
No, its a great question to ask a shot clock operator.
No, it's a terrible question. The shot clock has nothing to do with the jump ball.