The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:31am
Archaic Power Monger

Table for One

I showed up for my three 7th grade boys games tonight and my partner showed up a few minutes later. We check the books, have a quick captain's meeting and toss it up. About a minute into the first quarter, the AD comes in and says to us during a dead ball that they need somebody in the other gym for the 8th grade A level game. I confer with my partner and we decide I'll go over and work the 8th grade games.

From what the AD told me, I was under the impression they needed a second official. Oh no...there are NO officials there. I grit my teeth, confer with the coaches quickly, check the books and away we go. The game was physical but a blow out. I called what I could but I felt like I just did not do a good job. I know I missed a lot of contact I just couldn't see properly. I was working free throw line to free throw line opposite the table and moving to the middle of the court when necessary but with the amount of post play, I just couldn't catch it all.

The coaches were OK but I did end up warning the visitor's coach for occasional outburts. Went to the arrow a few times on out of bounds. There were a bunch of problems with the clock starting and stopping properly along with the arrow switching properly, which compounded an already frustrating situation. I didn't realize how mentally daunting it is being the only official on the court.

The game ended without incident and the other two games were a slower pace and both blow outs also. Other than T'ing up a player on the bench for screaming at me over a foul call (which also did me a favor by seat belting the complaining coach the rest of the game), the rest was pretty vanilla.

I am exhausted and more than a little frustrated that not one but two officials failed to show up. This experience definitely makes me appreciate having a partner on the court. Now where's that Motrin...
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 12:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Nice. I would have taken the liberty of seat belting him sooner, without benefit of his player. Probably would have prevented the player T. Coaches don't get to complain when I'm working alone.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 05:16am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I am exhausted and more than a little frustrated that not one but two officials failed to show up.
You and your partner, who stayed in the other gym and worked solo, did a nice thing for all of those kids. I would caution you not to assume that the officials didn't show. It might be that the scheduler was not aware that there were two gyms at that site. That occasionally happens with simultaneous games at the same location. Either the school person didn't communicate clearly enough that four refs were needed or the assignor thought that he had it covered when looking at his chart and seeing the names of two refs.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 06:01am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
One Person Game.......Yuck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
I grit my teeth, confer with the coaches quickly, check the books and away we go.
On that oft occasion I am by myself I think the pre-game coach’s talk is MOST important.

"Gentlemen, I’m going to do my best, but I’ll need your help. Let's keep the noise down today and the game moving. No yapping about off ball contact, three seconds, illegal screens, etc. I’ll do my best to be in position and make the right call. I’ll be watching the players with the ball. You coach, I’ll hustle and work hard. Ensure you get my attention when you want a timeout and let me know 30/60. Let’s go….."

It is very difficult and seldom fun.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
On that oft occasion I am by myself I think the pre-game coach’s talk is MOST important.

"Gentlemen, I’m going to do my best, but I’ll need your help. Let's keep the noise down today and the game moving. No yapping about off ball contact, three seconds, illegal screens, etc. I’ll do my best to be in position and make the right call. I’ll be watching the players with the ball. You coach, I’ll hustle and work hard. Ensure you get my attention when you want a timeout and let me know 30/60. Let’s go….."

It is very difficult and seldom fun.
Personally, I wouldn't mention any of that in the pre-game. It just puts the "there will be missed calls" mentality into their minds.

You can (and I have) used a similar speech if the coach starts complaining too much.
Old Fri Feb 05, 2010, 09:20am
9/11 - Never Forget

I certainly understand your point Bob. It's just the way I handle it and works for me - I'm trying to get their buy-in.
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 10:45am
Esteemed Forum Member

Early Draft ...

ONE-PERSON OFFICIATING GUIDELINES
INTERIM DRAFT – OCTOBER 2008
It is quite possible that you will eventually officiate a game by yourself. This document offers officiating guidelines and one-person officiating mechanics you should follow.
Assignment Commissioner
- Contact the Commissioner either before or after the game.
- If you are assigned a game by the Assignment Commissioner, DO NOT accept an offer from a parent, coach, or a non-IAABO certified official. Work alone. Liability issues arise if you work with anyone other than a certified IAABO official.
Coaches and Administrators Conference
- Conduct a pre-game meeting with both coaches and the game administrator.
- Confirm that everyone is in agreement.
- Request coaches cooperation and express advance appreciation for them assisting you in keeping themselves and their teams under control.
- Stress and remind them of the importance of good sportsmanship and the example that they can and should set for their players.
Pregame Captains-Coaches Meeting
- Conduct at 2-minute mark
- Explain that you will appreciate and expect the cooperation from both teams.
- Explain that you expect the players to retrieve all loose balls once the whistle is sounded.
Floor Coverage
- Work the sideline, (choose either nearest or opposite) from the scorer’s table, moving from free throw line extended to free throw line extended. This will give you the same angle as both coaches to help reduce any disagreements, since you will be on the same side of the court as the coaches.
- As the ball goes toward the opposite sideline, you will have to move off the sideline toward the center of the floor.
- Avoid getting caught on the end line.
- You must work hard at getting open looks and move to obtain proper angles in order to be in the most advantageous position to referee all players. Have a high level of awareness on plays to the basket and shooters.
Start/Stop Clock
- You must stop/start clock at all opportunities using the proper mechanic. For example, after a missed free throw that will remain live, you must start the clock.
Out of Bounds
- Request players and coaches to assist you on out of bounds violations if necessary.
- If disagreement results, use the alternating possession arrow to make decision.
- After designating the throw-in spot, move to your position (see Floor Coverage) and either bounce or toss the ball to the player for the throw-in.
Time Outs
- Stand at the division line, ¾ away from the scorer’s table with ball on hip toward the teams’ basket which will have control of the ball. After 1st horn, move to area on the playing court where play will resume.
Three Point Shots
- Do not guess. Move to improve your angle, if you don’t know, it counts as 2-points the same as if there were two officials working the game.
Reporting Fouls
- Move towards an area visible to the scorers and keeping as many players within your field of vision.
Free Throw Coverage
- Assemble the players and administer every free throw from the Trail position.
- Ensure proper alignment of players on free throw lane lines, leaving the first spaces between the end line and neutral blocks vacant.
- Closely monitor disconcertion.
Presses
- Remain at the free throw line extended in the backcourt, (nearest or opposite) the scorer/timer table and move up the court with the players.
Maintain Control
- Maintain your composure.
- You may need to blow your whistle more so players do not take advantage of the situation.
- Take charge early to help keep the crazy stuff in check.
- Do not argue with the coaches. Keep your cool and remind them that you are working hard for them.
- Do the best you can. It is not your fault that this situation occurred.
- Remember that, if approached properly, people will almost always be willing to assist.
- Remember that you are the best official on the floor, albeit the only one.
Sources: Greater Sudbury Board of Basketball Officials (IAABO Board 106) and
Topeka Officials Association (Kansas State High School Activities Association
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 11:04am
9/11 - Never Forget

Good List (As Always)

Billy, I have a hard copy of this in my notebook in my bag. If it looks like I'll be by myself, I review it quickly before my game.

Good to have in the old "kit bag" along with all my other stuff......
Old Sun Feb 07, 2010, 12:03pm
Esteemed Forum Member

"Snowmageddon"

Quote:
Originally Posted by grunewar View Post
I have a hard copy of this in my notebook in my bag. If it looks like I'll be by myself, I review it quickly before my game. Good to have in the old "kit bag" along with all my other stuff.
No need to pregame. Just bring the hard copy out onto the court and review it while your standing, and making all your calls, from the the division line.

Why aren't you out shoveling? My brother-in-law, in Philadelphia, called me and described three feet of snow, with seven foot drifts. How about you?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)