The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:36pm
Never Stop Learning

Table side in two man.

Along the same lines as long switches in two man. What is the reasoning to go opposite table in two man on a shooting foul.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Maeder
Along the same lines as long switches in two man. What is the reasoning to go opposite table in two man on a shooting foul.
I hope this is changed soon. It's awkward, especially when coming from opposite table on a shooting foul.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 07:57pm
Official Forum Member

I don't know the original rational for going opposite the table after calling a foul...I can guess it might be to get away from irrate coaches. I do think that within the next two years, possibly as early as next year the Federation will adapt a table side mechanic for two person. This based on the success of table side reporting in 3 person. I hope this does become the mechanic
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 08:31pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
In NY on the girl's side, we've already adopted this mechanic, with the calling official going tableside as trail on FTs. I've found that it works pretty well, although I must say that there are coaches that I'd just assume go opposite, since no amount of communication with them is going to be productive...
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:39pm
Official Forum Member

In 2 whistle I'd rather go opposite, I hope they keep it like it is.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 10:51pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to swkansasref33
I always thought the reason was so the scorer's table could see you during the free throws, to implicate whether or not the basket was good, say a lane violation or not... so I have no freakin clue...personally I like it because the coach can't grip at me about the call, so I won't have to T him up... even though I may actually have to T him up if he starts yellin across the court at me during the free-throw... WAIT! Did I say may? I meant I WILL T him up when he starts yellin across the court... hehehe
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:12pm
Official Forum Member

I'd much rather stay table side always. I can't tell you how many time I've see coaches squawk across the floor when the ref goes opposite but when you stay nearby, most of the time it's a reasonably civil convo.

BTW, I would also like to see no long switches in 2 person.
Old Tue Jan 23, 2007, 11:17pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

I've done two and three man this season, and have to say I much prefer going table side. 95% of the time there's no conversation at all, but it's a lot easier to slip the whistle out of your mouth and use your inside voice with the coach.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:21am
Do not give a damn!!

I would rather stay opposite table on something like this. You might not be the calling official. I do not want to say in front of a coach and I did not make the call. Also I think it makes more sense to stay away if for no other reason to administer the FT and worry about doing my job. In 3 man the official that has the least responsibility is table side.

Peace
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 12:58am
Never Stop Learning

Some good points Rut. When staying table side in two man you still have the responsibilty of the shooter, top two lane players on other side, ten second count, while trying to carry on a conversation with the coach. Good point on not being the one to call the foul also. On techs you also would have to go over to the other side after the last shot also. Maybe better to leave it the way it is.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to IREFU2 Send a message via Yahoo to IREFU2
Quote:
I too would rather stay away from the table in 2 man. But if all my games where 3 man, I would have to worry about that!!!!!
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:04am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Some good points Rut. When staying table side in two man you still have the responsibilty of the shooter, top two lane players on other side, ten second count, while trying to carry on a conversation with the coach. Good point on not being the one to call the foul also. On techs you also would have to go over to the other side after the last shot also. Maybe better to leave it the way it is.
It's not like this wasn't the way we did it for YEARS before going opposite table was put in place.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

When you get so used to staying at the table (3man), it is hard to work a 2 man game because A) you want to stay at the table, and B) your coverage area is completely different. You really have to force yourself out of the 3 man mentality when going back into a 2 man situation.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 07:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Old Timers

How many of you veteran officials remember NFHS free throw mechanics over twenty-years ago?

The trail official was always to the shooter's left side, which if you can figure out the permutations, means that half the time you or your partner, were standing in front of a coach, the same coach. In some cases, I liked standing near a coach, especially a polite coach who had a question about the foul just called by me or my partner. In other situations, with a very angry coach, it was best to be on the other side of the court.

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jan 24, 2007 at 07:50pm.
Old Wed Jan 24, 2007, 09:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Just because it was done 20 years ago does not mean it is a good mechanic. I was watching an old Super Bowl and I saw a lot of mechanics that I would never want to go back to. Just because it was once done does not make it a very good idea for right now.

Peace