The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 10:53pm
Official Forum Member

Player absent on scorsheet

This is a FIBA question: In the fourth quarter, a foul is called on A5. While informing the score table, the referee is made aware by the scorer that the name and number of A5 has not been written on the scoresheet. A5 has been playing or been present on the bench the whole game. The opposing coach demand that A5 not be allowed to play for the rest of the game. How would you proceed in the two following situation?
a) The scorer forgot to include the name on the scoresheet
B) The coach of A5 admits that he forgot to write the name on the scoresheet
Car article 48 of the FIBA rules be applied here when it says "any recording error by the scorer must be corrected before the referee signs the scoresheet at the end of the game? In other words, we add the name and A5 can play?
Old Sun Jan 12, 2014, 11:00pm
Official Forum Member

I can speak to our rules.

a) if it were a scorer mistake and the name was given but it just wasn't transcribed, then enter the name and no penalty
b) if the coach messed up then its a team T (i believe). Enter the name and number and move on.

There is no penalty that we not allow a player to play unless they have been disqualified (either committing to many fouls or received 2 or more T's, or their equipment, like metal brace, has been ruled unsafe)
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 08:47am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazou View Post
This is a FIBA question: In the fourth quarter, a foul is called on A5. While informing the score table, the referee is made aware by the scorer that the name and number of A5 has not been written on the scoresheet. A5 has been playing or been present on the bench the whole game. The opposing coach demand that A5 not be allowed to play for the rest of the game. How would you proceed in the two following situation?
a) The scorer forgot to include the name on the scoresheet
B) The coach of A5 admits that he forgot to write the name on the scoresheet
Car article 48 of the FIBA rules be applied here when it says "any recording error by the scorer must be corrected before the referee signs the scoresheet at the end of the game? In other words, we add the name and A5 can play?

In (a), this is a mistake by the Scorer and A5 should be allowed to play. In (b), this is a mistake by A-HC and A5 cannot be allowed to play.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 02:57pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
In (a), this is a mistake by the Scorer and A5 should be allowed to play. In (b), this is a mistake by A-HC and A5 cannot be allowed to play.

MTD, Sr.
Can't be allowed to play? First off, he's already in the game, but even if he wasn't, isn't this a classic book error by A's head coach, add the name with a T? What's your reasoning for not allowing him to play?

Question for all on this one, how can you determine with certainty if the HC made a mistake or not? If he says, "I just gave them my book," or something similar, how do you know he didn't change his book later? Is it just faith in humanity?? Also, if it cannot be determined with certainty either way, what is the default, T or play on?
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:05pm
M.A.S.H.

I have the HCs check the official book before the game. If he does this and agrees then any mistakes are on him unless the official scorer told me they were at fault.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:11pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frezer11 View Post
Can't be allowed to play? First off, he's already in the game, but even if he wasn't, isn't this a classic book error by A's head coach, add the name with a T? What's your reasoning for not allowing him to play?

Question for all on this one, how can you determine with certainty if the HC made a mistake or not? If he says, "I just gave them my book," or something similar, how do you know he didn't change his book later? Is it just faith in humanity?? Also, if it cannot be determined with certainty either way, what is the default, T or play on?
The OP was asking for a FIBA ruling.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
I have the HCs check the official book before the game. If he does this and agrees then any mistakes are on him unless the official scorer told me they were at fault.
If he supplied the official scorer with the correct information it does not matter that you had him check the book.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:17pm
M.A.S.H.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikki View Post
If he supplied the official scorer with the correct information it does not matter that you had him check the book.
True; however, typically I don't know where the information came from...therefore, I let them take a peek to try to avoid an AT.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 03:22pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjones1 View Post
True; however, typically I don't know where the information came from...therefore, I let them take a peek to try to avoid an AT.
What I am saying is you can't penalize the coach with an AT if he supplied the correct information to the official scorer, regardless of whether you had them look at it, sign it, or whatever. Usually it's pretty easy to figure out who the error falls on.
Old Mon Jan 13, 2014, 09:34pm
Administrator

I was a USA Basketball Referee from 1993 to 2005 (I still try to stay up-to-date on the FIBA Rules), and from my reading of the Rules and Casebook Plays, there is not provision for adding a player's name to the Roster after the time limits set in the Rules, except for Scorer Error.

I am sure that we have some members that are more versed in FIBA Rules that can add to this discussion.

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 01:51am
Official Forum Member

If the player is not on the scoresheet, player is not allowed to play. Plain and simple. That is the reason the coaches are given the scoresheet 10 minutes before the game starts, to mark his starting 5 and initial the scoresheet that coach is happy and everything is fine and ready to go.
Old Tue Jan 14, 2014, 02:03am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by NICK View Post
If the player is not on the scoresheet, player is not allowed to play. Plain and simple. That is the reason the coaches are given the scoresheet 10 minutes before the game starts, to mark his starting 5 and initial the scoresheet that coach is happy and everything is fine and ready to go.
You mean you can't add players after the ten minute mark in fiba?