The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Taped out number

I had a GJV game yesterday where a girl whose normal number was 12 had made a X with tape to cross out the 12 and make her number a 1. This isnt AAU or rec ball and I swear I remember reading a post here how that was illegal.

The best I can find is...

Rule: 3-4-3

ART. 3

Numbers shall adhere to the following:

a. Team jerseys shall include the team member's number, which shall be at least 6 inches high on the back and at least 4 inches high on the front and not less than 3/4 inch in width excluding the border.

b. The number(s) shall be centered vertically and horizontally on the portion of the jersey that is intended to be visible.

c. The number(s) on the front and back of the team jersey shall be the same color and style.

d. Each team member shall be numbered on the front and back of the team jersey with plain Arabic numerals. The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. A team member list shall not have both numbers 0 and 00.

e. No more than three colors may be used on the number. The style of the number must be clearly visible and conform to one of the following:

1. A solid contrasting color with no more than two solid color 1/4-inch borders around the entire number. If the team jersey color is used as a border, it must be counted as one of the allowed colors.

2. The team jersey color itself when bordered with not more than two 1/4-inch solid border(s) contrasting with the team jersey color.

3. A solid contrasting color with a "shadow" trim of a contrasting color on part of the number not to exceed 1/2 inch in width and may be used with one 1/4-inch border.

Is this the rule you would use to explain why the jersey is illegal? Would you T up coach? Is it just administrative T? Any advice would be appreciated. Also a few minutes later a player not in the book entered the game. If a T was called on the taped number does 15 get a pass after being put in the book?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:42am
Official Forum Member

Here: JV: Allow it.

YMMV.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
I had a GJV game yesterday
It's JV. Let it go.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

Personally...for JV, I've got nothing. Let her play. For many schools (if not most), sub-varsity teams in every sport use hand-me-downs from the varsity becuase they simply cannot afford to but new uniforms for every team at every level. The only exception I have seen around here is when a new high school opens. That is the only time sub-varsity teams get new uniforms...but to offset the "special treatment" they wear them for a long time...until the school starts playing varisty and that level gets their second round of new uniforms.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:45am
Official Forum Member

I would allow it, especially in a jv game.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:47am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
Here: JV: Allow it.

YMMV.
Precisely. Had it last night. Visiting coach asked about it, told him it was ok. Went to the home coach to let him know, and he laughed as he said they had one too.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

I had never seen a taped number in 3.3 years of HS so I didnt know it is something we ignored at the sub-varsity level. It seems so rec league'ish so I thought it was unacceptable. Apparently I am over zealous.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:17am
9 times

In Utah, the directive from the UHSAA is to allow it in sub varsity games.

You are being over zealous.

1999 (2x), 2006, 2008, 2010, 2012, 2014, 2016, 2019
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:25am
TODO: creative title here

'round here, we let it go, except in a varsity game.

Most of the bigger schools will have 4 or 5 basketball squads: 9B, 9A, B-squad (10th grade), JV, and Varsity. It's not uncommon for a player to play up one level or down one level for half of one game... so a JV player plays the 1 half of the B-squad game, and both halves of the JV game. At the same time, you might have a 9A player playing half of the B-squad game. So if the 9A player, the JV player, and a regular B-squad player all have #24...

It happens. Coaches are usually pretty good about letting us know about it in advance. As long as I have some way to differentiate players for foul-reporting purposes, I'm ok with it also.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:48am
Official Forum Member

When I was in Montana not only would they allow this but sometimes at the JV level you would have 3 different colors of uniforms on the floor at one time. There were times where...and we will use a green, white and gold school for example...you would have a varsity swing player in their away gold uniform playing next to a JV player in their away green jersey. I used to get a headache every time...
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:50am
Courageous When Prudent

BigT, that would be a different technical foul in regards to the question at the end of your original post.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 01:07pm
certified Hot Mom tester

You could always tell the coach they have to play shirts and skins. Oh wait - it's a girls game. Never mind.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 05:20pm
Official Forum Member

Ix

What if a JV player had an illegal number? ex: 9
Let it go???
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 05:54pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
What if a JV player had an illegal number? ex: 9
Let it go???
Honestly, I can't imagine that happening. That number's been illegal for long enough that whoever's getting the uniforms done for the schools have known not to do that for a long time.

Because of that, I can't rightly answer what I would do if I noticed it. JV, probably let it go and tell the coach to fix that before the next game ... but I truly can't see this happening.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 05:55pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Get Out The Tape ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
Illegal number: 9
Wear the jersey upside down (6). Wait? I'm being told ... No? But what about Bill Russell? You sure? Never mind.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)