The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 09:29pm
Official Forum Member

Our association recommends, but does not require, that officials cover the top of their flags with white tape. I have heard various reasons why that practice is necessary, but none are persuasive. It seems that officials at higher ranks (NCAA/NFL) don't tape their flags. What do your associations require/recommend? What are your thoughts?
Old Sun Oct 12, 2003, 09:43pm
Official Forum Member

I tape mine so that there is no yellow showing out of my waist line. I think the yellow flag tends to have a psychological effect and I prefer not to have that effect.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 05:53am
Official Forum Member

The primary reason for NOT taping the flag is liability. If you inadvertantly hit a player with your flag and you have altered the flag with the white tape, you have a greater risk of lawsuit because you have changed it from the way the manufacturer made it. That's the world we live in.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:05am
Do not give a damn!!

You are kidding right?

Quote:
Originally posted by FBullock
The primary reason for NOT taping the flag is liability. If you inadvertantly hit a player with your flag and you have altered the flag with the white tape, you have a greater risk of lawsuit because you have changed it from the way the manufacturer made it. That's the world we live in.
You might have a greater risk, but it does not mean you are going to be liable for that reason. If that is the only reason you do not do this, then you might have some other things to worry about in my opinion. I guess I will take my chances.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:26am
Do not give a damn!!

Lightbulb It looks much better.

Quote:
Originally posted by tempestos
Our association recommends, but does not require, that officials cover the top of their flags with white tape. I have heard various reasons why that practice is necessary, but none are persuasive. It seems that officials at higher ranks (NCAA/NFL) don't tape their flags. What do your associations require/recommend? What are your thoughts?
It is not required, but many do tape their flags around here. The reasons are to keep from being seen reaching for your flag and making it obvious to the coaches, players and fans. This is the reasons we are instructed not to put the flags in our back pocket, because if you think there is a penalty about to happen, you give yourself some time to change your mind and not look obvious to everyone.

Case in point, during the Northern Illinois, Maryland game in Dekalb, IL (NIU upset Maryland). The crew that did the game was an ACC crew. I guess they keep their flags in their back pocket as a rule. Well the last play of the game had a close Pass Interference call which in my opinion should not have been called and was not called in the game. Well the commentators noticed that the official was thinking about making the call by reaching behind him and decided not to call a penalty. Part of the discussion was that "the officials wanted to make the call." Well if he had his flag in the front of his body and taped, no one would have noticed that he just decided to pass on it and it would have looked more like he was sure of his call, rather than looking like he wanted to reach for his flag.

It seems like NCAA Conferences like the SEC and ACC put their flags in their back pocket. It looks terrible, because I have seen many games in those conferences and the officials had to reach back for flags and the cameras catch this when the officials call nothing. Then the TV announcers spend the next 10 minutes debating whether a flag should have been thrown and why the official decided to not throw the flag when he reached for it. That just looks terrible in my opinion.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:37am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Patsfan2431
In CT, our board tapes our flags so no yellow is showing. First of all, it looks better, and second, the psych. of a coach is that if the yellow is showing, you are ready to flag everything.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 09:57am
Official Forum Member

Question

I can see why the back pocket might be a bad idea but I never understood the tape thing.

You mean to tell me that if a coach doesn't see any yellow he's going to think you're not prepared to call fouls??

I think everyone pretty-much knows that the officials have flags- whether they can see them or not.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:01am
Get away from me, Steve.

I haven't taped mine, but one reason I've considered it seems to weight the flag some and would give me a bit more accuracy when throwing it, especially when working back judge.

Frankly, I like the little bit of yellow sticking out -- I think it looks worse having a white ball sticking out of the top of your pants, but that's just me.

Rich

PS - I keep one in my back pocket, too, but it's the second flag in case I need it. I pulled it out twice on Saturday during youth games, both for USC fouls on head coaches.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 10:35am
Official Forum Member

Cool

As someone said- everyone knows we have them,
so I'm thinking where you park it is a lot more
about preferences, personal or association wise.
I use a flag with the weight in the center and
keep it in my front left pocket (I'm a southpaw).
It does not stick out.
I seldom use it at U, and when I do, you know it is
a "real" penalty !
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:04am
Official Forum Member

Everybody knows we carry flags; so, what's the big deal with a little yellow showing.

I once had mine in my back pocket until a coach saw me reaching for it and withdrawing my hand. From then on it goes in the front with a ball sticking out should I need it.

My preference is to carry two flags and two bean bags for those "just in case" situations. Somehow, it seems I have only needed two flags for youth games and that was because some coach/parent got irate.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

This is exactly the discussion I was looking for. I am with the "no taping" group. I never understood why we are trying to "hide" our flags from coaches/players/fans. They know we have them and know we throw them when we call a penalty. In close plays (where an official reaches for his flag but decides not to throw it), I think the commentators, etc. will debate the call regardless because there will be differing opinions on whether it was a foul. I also agree that the yellow sticking out looks better than the white tape - the white tape usually looks old, with some dirt, and unprofessional. I think I've seen only one NFL official with a taped flag.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Some folks retape it each week so it does not get old and soiled looking. It takes about 2 minutes and 3 strips of tape.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally posted by tempestos
In close plays (where an official reaches for his flag but decides not to throw it), I think the commentators, etc. will debate the call regardless because there will be differing opinions on whether it was a foul.
The point that I was making was not to avoid the what the commentators say about us, but in the NIU/Maryland game, in all the highlights from the TV guys covering the game to ESPN to the local newscast, all made a comment about what the official was thinking because he reached for his flag. And when they see you reaching for a yellow object, this just adds fuel to the fire when you decide not to make a call. Especially when you are working as a wing official and the coaches cannot see my hands reach for my belt when I am facing the field. It is not full proof, but when I got yelled at and the comment was, "I saw you reach for your flag, why did you not call the penalty?" I started to tape my flag.

Now if your area decides to do it another way, when in Rome you do as the Romans do. But in my area this is a very common and acceptable practice. There really is no ulitmate right or wrong, just what is expected in your area.

Peace
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 01:09pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via ICQ to stevegarbs Send a message via AIM to stevegarbs Send a message via Yahoo to stevegarbs
Unhappy

Ever wonder why no one offers for sale a penalty flag with a white ball?

It is unnecessary to tape your flag, for all the reasons given above. To me, it looks like you are too cheap to buy a new one and need to use tape to patch up an old flag that is falling apart.
Old Mon Oct 13, 2003, 01:15pm
Official Forum Member

I backpocket mine but maybe I will move it to the front because that is a very good point, the other night I reached for it and didn't pull it. I'll have to think about it.