View Single Post
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:39am
Official Forum Member

Taped out number

I had a GJV game yesterday where a girl whose normal number was 12 had made a X with tape to cross out the 12 and make her number a 1. This isnt AAU or rec ball and I swear I remember reading a post here how that was illegal.

The best I can find is...

Rule: 3-4-3

ART. 3

Numbers shall adhere to the following:

a. Team jerseys shall include the team member's number, which shall be at least 6 inches high on the back and at least 4 inches high on the front and not less than 3/4 inch in width excluding the border.

b. The number(s) shall be centered vertically and horizontally on the portion of the jersey that is intended to be visible.

c. The number(s) on the front and back of the team jersey shall be the same color and style.

d. Each team member shall be numbered on the front and back of the team jersey with plain Arabic numerals. The following numbers are legal: 0, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 00, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 40, 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, 50, 51, 52, 53, 54, 55. A team member list shall not have both numbers 0 and 00.

e. No more than three colors may be used on the number. The style of the number must be clearly visible and conform to one of the following:

1. A solid contrasting color with no more than two solid color 1/4-inch borders around the entire number. If the team jersey color is used as a border, it must be counted as one of the allowed colors.

2. The team jersey color itself when bordered with not more than two 1/4-inch solid border(s) contrasting with the team jersey color.

3. A solid contrasting color with a "shadow" trim of a contrasting color on part of the number not to exceed 1/2 inch in width and may be used with one 1/4-inch border.

Is this the rule you would use to explain why the jersey is illegal? Would you T up coach? Is it just administrative T? Any advice would be appreciated. Also a few minutes later a player not in the book entered the game. If a T was called on the taped number does 15 get a pass after being put in the book?