The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Football
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

1) Our state Mandates that our Beanbags be white
I feel Blue is easier to see Do any states allow Blue bags and how do you feel about them (I use them in youth games as we have no rules about those and I like them)

2) It is suggested by some "commissioners" that the ball of our flags be covered in white tape if we choose to tuck them in waist so that you cannot see the flag.... after 3 time s of the flag hitting the mud this looks like crap... what do you think
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:27pm
Official Forum Member

My crew in Iowa we have blue bean bags and tape our flags. Both for the above mentioned reasons and no one has said anything to us as of yet.

Flags that get muddy can be retaped between games or if need be at halftime.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 03:35pm
Official Forum Member

White bean bags only (we've always been told).

Who cares if anybody sees the top of the flag?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

White bean bags.

What's the purpose of taping the flag? The argument seems to be that no one can see it if you tape it white but like ABoselli said, who cares if people see it? They know we have them so what are we trying to hide?
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:23pm
Official Forum Member

White bean bags in Michigan.

I personally don't see the sense of taping the top of the flag. That isn't mandated at any league or level that I work. But if it is "suggested" where you work, then I guess "When in Rome".
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 04:42pm
Official Forum Member

We are supposed to carry flags, so what does it matter if someone sees it as part of our uniform. In my association, most people carry their flags in their side pocket, a few in the back pocket, and i think me and someone else carry it in the waistband with the ball sticking out. No one does anything to hide the flag. Plus they're bright orange so I think they stick out a bit more than the yellow flags

As for bean bags, no one uses them up here (Canada) so if someone were to use them, it's personal preference. (I use blue)
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 06:40pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally posted by BoBo
My crew in Iowa we have blue bean bags and tape our flags. Both for the above mentioned reasons and no one has said anything to us as of yet.

Flags that get muddy can be retaped between games or if need be at halftime.
Yup, it would be a real shame if someone knew a football official carried a flag.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 07:45pm
Official Forum Member

1. Here in PA we use white, but I do not have any problem with blue. My only opinion on this is that everyone in the crew should have the same color bag.

2. I know of many people who tape the ends of their flag; I do not. The argument for it (as I've been told) is that it looks bad to have some yellow showing and the white tape will "hide" the yellow. The white tape might cover the yellow, but the white "shows up" over the black of the belt, so I do not really think the tape adds anything.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:15pm
Official Forum Member

I was watching the Green Bay game on ABC, and the referee seemed to have the ball of his flag taped with black tape, it looked really sharp, I wouldn't have noticed it except for the fact that I didn't see him with a flag and after taking a closer look I noticed that it blended right in with his belt. In my opinion it looked much better than the officials I see on TV with white tape over their flags.
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Jersey Ref
Why should we hide a tool of the trade. Taping the flags white comes from coaches saying "see he has his flags out waiting to throw it". What needs to happen is the coaches, kids, and fans need to stop seeing us as the enemy and what we are there for, to ensure a fair game and that no one gains an advantage by an infraction of the rules.

[Edited by Jersey Ref on Sep 13th, 2004 at 10:49 PM]
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 10:59pm
Do not give a damn!!

White is only implied.

Of course you mostly see white as the color of most flags used in my area. There was a State Final game last year, where it snowed the entire game. The officials had a hard time (especially the BJ) finding their flags. I work with the crew that worked the game every week (I fill in on Saturdays for one of the members). Well as kind of a gag gift, the crew chief purchased everyone on the crew a blue bean bag. Now he made a case for the flag as well and has a sign which states, “In case of snow break glass." The case looks like the kind you see a fire extinguisher is incased in. He even put a chain and a hammer on the side of this case. The blue bean bag is hanging on a hook. This took him some time to make and we all got a big laugh out of it. If you live in the Midwest around playoff time, you might have to deal with some snow. So I used to say that you should not ever have blue bean bags, but not sure that rings so true anymore.

Peace
Old Mon Sep 13, 2004, 11:53pm
Official Forum Member

White beanbags in southern NJ.

I was taught to only let a small portion of the penalty flag to show. The reason was they didn't want the officials to look like they were anixious to throw their flags. I see nothing wrong with a small portion of the flag being in sight so you can get a hand on it. Also, if 15 inches of flag is showing it looks bad to me because I rarely see it, only when rookies show up at a game.
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 07:14am
Official Forum Member

I agree w u SJOLDGUY
I did see a Vet NFL official have 15 inches of flag hanging out Bernie Kukar.... a normally great crew but he just didnt look sharp

psu where you from in PA thats where i am from
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 08:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by SJoldguy
Also, if 15 inches of flag is showing it looks bad to me because I rarely see it, only when rookies show up at a game.

One helluva rookie right there . . .
Old Tue Sep 14, 2004, 09:19am
Official Forum Member

Taping the flag 'cause you don't want 'yellow' to show, eh???

And here I thought the veterans were taping the weighted end 'cause it was torn or something and they were too cheap to spend the six bucks to buy another one...