Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 07:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoochy View Post
What if a JV player had an illegal number? ex: 9
Let it go???
Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
Honestly, I can't imagine that happening. That number's been illegal for long enough that whoever's getting the uniforms done for the schools have known not to do that for a long time.

Because of that, I can't rightly answer what I would do if I noticed it. JV, probably let it go and tell the coach to fix that before the next game ... but I truly can't see this happening.
I had this happen earlier this season at the varsity level. A team was visiting from Australia and had several numbers which conformed to FIBA regulations, but not NFHS. For example, they had numbers 6, 7, and 9.

It was challenging to report fouls during that contest.

We told the coach that his FIBA uniforms were okay, but that the kids had to play by NFHS rules, such as not violating the BI rule. He laughed and said that they had been having some difficulty adjusting to a few of the rules over here.

Last edited by Nevadaref; Wed Jan 08, 2014 at 07:26pm.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 07:25pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT View Post
Would you T up coach? Is it just administrative T? Any advice would be appreciated. Also a few minutes later a player not in the book entered the game. If a T was called on the taped number does 15 get a pass after being put in the book?
To answer your questions: (without commenting on your specific situation)
The proper penalty for participating while wearing an illegal jersey is a direct technical foul on the Head Coach.
This penalty is completely separate from any administrative technical which would be assessed, such as for having to add a player to the scorebook.
The team should be penalized for both situations should they occur.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 09:59pm
C'mon man!!

So everyone here thinks the OP is illegal if it is varsity but not sub? And the rule used is that the number is not centered so it is illegal? What if they turn a 1 into a 31 making the original 1 into the three and adding a 1 at the end. This would be a centered legal number. Then what?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:02pm
C'mon man!!

Also had a coach last week want to add a player to the book so he could get into the blow out game. He informed my P that he wanted to do it when the other team had possession on FT or a throw in so his team didn't lose possession. It took 3 or four dead balls and a little time off the clock but I thought the coach was smart to do it this way. Never had a planned technical before.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
So everyone here thinks the OP is illegal if it is varsity but not sub? And the rule used is that the number is not centered so it is illegal? What if they turn a 1 into a 31 making the original 1 into the three and adding a 1 at the end. This would be a centered legal number. Then what?
I would not allow the tape job in a V game. Enforce the rule (absent some special circumstances like the FIBA story a few posts ago)