The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:05am
Official Forum Member

Not so sure

Is it disconcerting for the coach to create a spectacle on the court that has nothing to do with basketball which would clearly and intentionally draw the attention of everyone in the gym, thus creating a resulting buzz that disrupts the shooter?

Is is disconcertion for a coach, through gestures, to encourage the crowd to make noise that disconcerts the shooter (I'm not talking about the crowd making noise on its own intending to disconcert, but of a situation in which a coach encourages it)

"No opponent shall disconcert the free-thrower."
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:06am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by maroonx View Post
That is what I had said. Pushup girl was not in backcourt.

Speaking of disconcerting, would you call a disconcerting violation if the cheerleaders are at the other end of the court yelling "miss it miss it" during free throw administration at the other end of the court?
So, she wasn't talking to her coach? Or she was yelling to him from across the court? If you want us to buy into the disconcertion call, we'll need more details to justify it than what you've provided.

On the cheerleaders....
No.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 12:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Speaking of disconcerting, would you call a disconcerting violation if the cheerleaders are at the other end of the court yelling "miss it miss it" during free throw administration at the other end of the court?
Would you call disconcertion on a team's fans? Cause for all intents and purposes, cheerleaders are just fans with some extra special courtside seats.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 02:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Girls Varsity game.

... T or not?
On the coach or the player?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 08:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Girls Varsity game.

Opponent is on free throw line. About 5 minutes left in the game. Opponent is getting smashed by 30 points. ball is giving to free thrower, one of the players goes to chat with coach why she committed foul. Coach tells her to drop and give her 10 push-ups which she did All this going on during free throw administration.

9-3c No opponent shall disconcert the free thrower. T or not?
You're not thinking "big enough." Go straight to the forfeit.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
You're not thinking "big enough." Go straight to the forfeit.
Is that as big as you got Bob?
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
That is what I had said. Pushup girl was not in backcourt.

I did have a partner call a disconderting violation on cheerleaders.
I was the Trail Official and had to hear it from the Coach after we are reshooting the Free-Throw.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 10:46am
Official Forum Member

1. I hope I am the trail when this occurs. As an NCO in the U.S. Army I am all about physical punishment.

2. I will observe that proper form and technique is used during the push-up (i.e. no girl push-up will be used)

“THE PUSH-UP EVENT MEASURES THE ENDURANCE OF THE CHEST, SHOULDER, AND TRICEPS MUSCLES. ON THE COMMAND, ‘GET SET’, ASSUME THE FRONT-LEANING REST POSITION BY PLACING YOUR HANDS WHERE THEY ARE COMFORTABLE FOR YOU. YOUR FEET MAY BE TOGETHER OR UP TO 12 INCHES APART (MEASURED BETWEEN THE FEET). WHEN VIEWED FROM THE SIDE, YOUR BODY SHOULD FORM A GENERALLY STRAIGHT LINE FROM YOUR SHOULDERS TO YOUR ANKLES. ON THE COMMAND ‘GO’, BEGIN THE PUSH-UP BY BENDING YOUR ELBOWS AND LOWERING YOUR ENTIRE BODY AS A SINGLE UNIT UNTIL YOUR UPPER ARMS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND. THEN, RETURN TO THE STARTING POSITION BY RAISING YOUR ENTIRE BODY UNTIL YOUR ARMS ARE FULLY EXTENDED. YOUR BODY MUST REMAIN RIGID IN A GENERALLY STRAIGHT LINE AND MOVE AS A UNIT WHILE PERFORMING EACH REPETITION. AT THE END OF EACH REPETITION, THE SCORER WILL STATE THE NUMBER OF REPETITIONS YOU HAVE COMPLETED CORRECTLY. IF YOU FAIL TO KEEP YOUR BODY GENERALLY STRAIGHT, TO LOWER YOUR WHOLE BODY UNTIL YOUR UPPER ARMS ARE AT LEAST PARALLEL TO THE GROUND, OR TO EXTEND YOUR ARMS COMPLETELY, THAT REPETITION WILL NOT COUNT, AND THE SCORER WILL REPEAT THE NUMBER OF THE LAST CORRECTLY PERFORMED REPETITION.”

3. If the corrective action is not completed, or completed to standard the coach will be given the option of requesting a time-out (until he runs out), or suffer a delay of game warning. Once he no longer has any time-outs, or has achieved his second delay of game a series of technical fouls will be issued until the above action has been conducted to standard.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:09am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
yup. 11 push-ups and you got a violation. But there's a case play that says push-ups must be limited to 10 or fewer.
Is this related to the Hingle McCrinkleberry football excessive celebration rule????
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:23am
Official Forum Member

You guys are on a roll today...
Old Wed Jan 08, 2014, 11:28am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy View Post
Is this related to the Hingle McCrinkleberry football excessive celebration rule????
Dan Smith.

BYU.