The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 12:11pm
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
he is probably playing through a lot of the contact and is not having his rsbq affected.
The fact that he can play through the contact in no way means that his RSBQ was unaffected. You can be bumped and moved off your path, but be strong enough to continue to the basket. From my reading of the POEs this year, I think a foul is to be called on that kind of play.

My personal opinion is that the Rules Committee is trying to get us away from the "let them play through it" mentality.
Old Fri Dec 27, 2013, 01:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
My personal opinion is that the Rules Committee is trying to get us away from the "let them play through it" mentality.
I think this is particularly true wrt handchecking, primarily because (again, "I think") it's more difficult to determine if RSBQ is affected with a good handcheck.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 05:18pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Please, do not equate age with inability, poor ability, poor judgement. I've talked with several assignors and many coaches who would rather have the experienced judgement of a veteran, and the familiarity of knowing what they're going to get, than the young, talented, up-and-coming official who lacks the seasoning that only time and experience can bring.
Do I equate inability with age 100% no. Do I know that some Vets who have been doing it 10,,15,20 years are better than a newer younger guy. Oh yeah. I do wonder if we really helped young guys improve their game and got them here they would quickly catch up with an older guy who really struggles getting up and down the floor and a solid physical big time Varsity game and would over all help the perception and talent on the floor. Here I think we dont do enough to help everyone get better and we get comfortable putting up with whomever is on the floor calling the game.

I just heard in Vegas they have HS crews of 7-10 who work games and help eachother get better. That sounds like am amazing idea to help build relationships and work as a crew to get better.

And I wonder how many vets, unlike you guys here who obviously want to share and help others get better, do not help the new and younger get better as their game and career wind down.
Old Tue Dec 31, 2013, 05:33pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1 View Post
The fact that he can play through the contact in no way means that his RSBQ was unaffected. You can be bumped and moved off your path, but be strong enough to continue to the basket. From my reading of the POEs this year, I think a foul is to be called on that kind of play.

All RSBQ is, is a interpretation to help us determine whether and advantage has been gained or not. And incidental contact did not go away in the rulebook with this or other POEs. And incidental contact is still apart of the rules which include that contact must create an advantage for the person causing the contact or a disadvantage to the person being contacted.

Peace