The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to SteveM
Question

I have a particular GV team in my area whose head coach is in a wheelchair. My question is can the assist. coach stand for the V coach in this situation? I've not extended to the assist. coach any other privileges allowed by rule as of yet but I know this is going to come up sooner or later.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:12am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by SteveM
I have a particular GV team in my area whose head coach is in a wheelchair. My question is can the assist. coach stand for the V coach in this situation? I've not extended to the assist. coach any other privileges allowed by rule as of yet but I know this is going to come up sooner or later.
SteveM,
I would allow the assistant to be head coach for the night, but I would, then, not allow the "real" Head coach address the officials as head coach for he would be Assistant for the night.

It's all or nothing, unless I am advised otherwise with approval from the opponent.
mick
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:01pm
Official Forum Member

I would *not* treat the assistant coach as "head coach" for that night or any night, unless I am told by the team that the "assistant" will serve as the "head." To do so, IMHO, is disrespectful to the head coach. I'm going to treat the head coach as the head coach.

I'll still do all my communicating, if any, with the head coach in the wheel chair. I *am* going to make some accommodations for the head coach. For example, if the assistant coach wants to stand to get my attention or the attention of her/his team to call a TO, I'm going to allow it. But, generally, the assistant may not stand and watch/coach.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:10pm
Official Forum Member

I agree. Let the assistant stand up to get your attention for time outs and such, but the head coach is the person who gets to talk to you. The school hired them to be the head coach for a reason.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:10pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally posted by bgtg19
I would *not* treat the assistant coach as "head coach" for that night or any night, unless I am told by the team that the "assistant" will serve as the "head."
...Of course you wouldn't.

Some things ... go without saying.
Some things ... do not....
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:15pm
Official Forum Member

Spirit of the game, folks. Do whatever you think is most fair to the game itself.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 12:17pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb No wheel chair, but also no voice.

Quote:
Originally posted by Junker
I agree. Let the assistant stand up to get your attention for time outs and such, but the head coach is the person who gets to talk to you. The school hired them to be the head coach for a reason.
Head coach (wihout voice that night) asked if assistant could stand.
I counter-questioned, "Would you like him to me 'head coach' tonight ?"
...Agreed.
I subsequently mentioned the change to the opponent.
Opponent retorts, "It's gonna be a lot quieter here tonight."

mick
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:41pm
Official Forum Member

Question

Mick,
What do you mean "head coach without voice that night?" Was he physically unable to speak? As for the HC in the wheel chair, sure I'd let the assistant stand. In my opinion not to do so would place his/her team at a disadvantage if they want my attention or his/her team members' attention. Then let the HC be the HC. I admire and respect the coach and the school for seeing a coach's ability instead of disablity.
Old Fri Jan 21, 2005, 10:50pm
Official Forum Member

I agree with the advice about working out things as best you can as fairly as you can, but this could possibly bring up legal issues. I'd get an opinion from your state association on this.

I'm not suggesting you are going to get sued (though I hope you all have insurance), but you need to get someone else to make the decision and get yourself off the hook.