The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:17am
Courageous When Prudent

I usually go weeks without calling one, I just never understood the "don't make it your best call" phrase. It's as if calling 3 seconds means you're doing other things poorly.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Dec 17, 2013 at 11:24am.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 11:22am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I usually go weeks without calling one, I just never understood the "don't make it your best call" phrase. It's as if calling 3 seconds means you're not doing other things poorly.
I love the phrase, myself.

To me it means that you have a lot of responsibilities -- and playing "gotcha" with a three-second violation is not at the top of the priority list.

I called one in my first game this season. None in the 13 since. If it's there, I'll call it - I don't go out of my way to find it.
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:16pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I usually go weeks without calling one, I just never understood the "don't make it your best call" phrase. It's as if calling 3 seconds means you're doing other things poorly.
But it might mean exactly that. If you're focused on 3 seconds, it's entirely possible you're not focused on more important issues. However, if you're focused on the more important issues and happen to catch a 3 seconds, call it.

West Houston Mike
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 01:22pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MD Longhorn View Post
But it might mean exactly that. If you're focused on 3 seconds, it's entirely possible you're not focused on more important issues. However, if you're focused on the more important issues and happen to catch a 3 seconds, call it.
I think that's accurate. If I'm watching a player with a foot on the lane line hoping to "nail" him after 3 seconds in the lane, what am I not watching that's a better use of my time?
Old Tue Dec 17, 2013, 08:17pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich1 View Post
No count if the player is sliding across. Do count if he stops.
Just clarifying this is your personal philosophy and not your understanding of the rule.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 12:15am
Official Forum Member

It is my understanding that if the player is moving across the lane (w/o stopping) we do not start the count. I'm not saying that a player can freely roam around the paint, just that in practice if he moves in, looks for a pass, then moves out without much delay he isn't going to get popped with a violation. I would be hard pressed to blow the whistle on a guy who is clearly on his way out of the lane just because he still has one foot in. I don't think that is the spirit of the rule and MAY be what is meant by the "best call" quote.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 02:40am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I think that's accurate. If I'm watching a player with a foot on the lane line hoping to "nail" him after 3 seconds in the lane, what am I not watching that's a better use of my time?
I called a 3 second violation tonight. I knew I would after posting in this thread today.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 07:21am
Esteemed Forum Member

Hall Of Fame ???

Quote:
I called a 3 second violation tonight. I knew I would after posting in this thread today.
Was it your best call of the night?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
That b/c I mindmelded you and made you look at the paint all night.
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 08:44am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Me, too. Partner also had one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Was it your best call of the night?
I have to go watch the video on a block-charge to let you know. The 3-seconds might have been the better call -- partner thinks I kicked the B/C
Old Wed Dec 18, 2013, 09:02am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
That b/c I mindmelded you and made you look at the paint all night.
Actually, we had a ball get knocked out of a player's hands and she went to the floor to get it and pass it to a player at the top of the key. Then she sat in the lane and made no effort to get up or move. Finally, I had to call it.

First girls game I worked all year (filling in for someone with a knee injury) and for a few minutes early on I wondered what sport I was watching.
Old Thu Dec 19, 2013, 01:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SplitInfinitive View Post
Hey everyone,

My memory is also an issue when remembering which team is going in which direction; the ball goes out of bounds, and I'm often not sure which way to point (despite knowing the colour). I've resorted to using landmarks around the court (e.g. "green plays towards the sign on the wall"), but this is pretty slow and rough.

4. Spotting travels. Since May, I haven't called a single travel (which doesn't seem to be a problem, as I'm good with fouls and other calls). One of the supervisors where I work says it takes time to develop, and not to worry about it. I'm just not good at noticing when a pivot foot is moved. Can you think of any advice?

SplitInfinitive
So much good advice already in this thread...I'm only going to comment on what I selected above.

#1- Memory- "which team goes where."

This was a HUGE issue for me. So much, that, years ago I sent Snaq's a private message about it. I was too embarrassed to bring it up in a thread. This will get better- what I did (and sometimes still do) is, when the offense is setting up I will say the color of the offensive team in my head, like 3 times quickly. Just to reinforce.

Also, if you do a lot of mid-level school games (and you probably do, if you're trying to get experience), you'll find that a lot of schools play in a lot of venues and wear a lot of different colors. THAT can make it confusing, especially when you do 4 games in an afternoon, and see eight different colors. Do this 4 times a week, and I'd be surprised if Earl Strom could remember who is on offense.

When you start doing upper level games, like high school and college, it's MUCH easier to remember the color of the team if that team ALWAYS plays at that venue.

Regarding travel calls, this should get better. As lead, you're looking from the waist up, especially if the post has the ball- take a couple of steps back, open and widen your field of view. You're better able to see the footwork from ten feet back, instead of say, like six feet. I also pre-game this with my partner before every game...especially in two man. If he/she is trail, don't be afraid to come to closedown and take that travel, if they're 100 percent certain and they didn't hear a whistle out of me.

Lastly, a 35 year veteran shared with me (just two weeks ago, during a jr. high tournament), that sometimes you "hear" a travel...don't let your vision be your only sense tuned into the game.

Good luck!!!