The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:26pm
Official Forum Member

Beginner Ref With Questions

Hey guys,

So i'm a first year ref, officiating 3rd,4th,5th and sometimes 6th grade. 3rd and 4th grade is pretty easy as alot of calls that aren't fouls are fairly easy to call. However, I had a terrible time with 5th and 6th grade reffing this past weekend so I thought I would ask.

As far as officiating itself goes, what do you do if your unsure of the immediate call but you need to report it? I had an incident this weekend where I(being a beginner ref) called a charge as team a was driving to the basket. I accidently started the block signal, then switched it. I mean it was hard to say, all in all I think a block call might of been a better call thinking back, but there were alot of people there, and I as well as my other ref was getting a lot of mouth from one of the coaches.

I called the charge and that couch just went insane. He wrote our names down at the end of the game, and reported us to our sup(who being as we were new, wasn't all too sympathetic to the coach). Anyways, how do you cope with feeling rushed by the fans and coaches with calls? I blow my whistle, but my new officiating mind still needs a second to think about what I saw, however the coach took it as unprofessional when I went to discuss it with the other ref.

Second, I had a few calls that I was a bit unsure of. A basic traveling call is obvious when a player is dribbling, stops his dribble, and walks. What about though when he falls? I know he can't get up, but what if just his knee touches? Does that player have to stay in that position until he releases the ball?

Also, whats the rule of offensive players and defensive players camping in the key? I did see offensive players(without ball) inthe key several times for quite a while, and same with defensive. Is defensive 3 second rule in play at this level? I know there is such a rule for the NBA.

How is a intential foul called and handled?

What about a technical? If it's on the coach, does he get thrown out with one or two?

I have done research but I am a bit confused so if you could clear this up for me that'd be great. Thanks,

Carson.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:35pm
Official Forum Member

Hello Carson!!!

Welcome to the Zoo with Zebras and howler monkeys... (You will understand this as you hang out here.)

The healthiest thing you can do to improve as an official is:
-- get more experience on he floor
-- bury your nose in the rules book
-- find a helpful mentor that is accessible
-- monitor this forum
-- attend a camp
-- join the local association
-- do not base your performance on what fans, players, or coaches think (they have an inherent bias)
-- HAVE FUN!
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 09:53pm
Official Forum Member

Coaches generally don't know many of the rules. Especially for the levels that you are officiating. I work high school games, mostly JV but some varsity and I am working to move up.

-Learn the rules, you need to know them better than the coaches (that generally is easy)
-Take the test for your local association, many times that is a state association.
-Find a camp for the summer (one that is geared to new officials if there are any in your area, I would assume that there are.)
-Find a mentor, it can be someone that you work with one game but check with them to make sure that its ok if you call them for advice.
-Forget the fans, coaches, and players. YOU make the call. However, MAKE THE CALL, don't question yourself on the way over the table. Question yourself after its over, at a time out or after the game.
-Ask questions of those that have been there before. Most of us have been right where you are now. Few of us started at a higher level.
-finally as Willie said HAVE FUN!! most of us do not do this because of the money (thats not to say that we would do this for free) we don't get paid enough to not enjoy it.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:00pm
Official Forum Member

Okay so which rule book should I be reading? Theres NCAA, Fiba and a bunch of others I dont even remember. Where can I find this book?
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:43pm
Statistician/Ref Hybrid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carsongamer View Post
Okay so which rule book should I be reading? Theres NCAA, Fiba and a bunch of others I dont even remember. Where can I find this book?
You need to find out what rule set your game is played under: whether it is NFHS, NCAA, or FIBA. Also, at the youth level, there are possibly local rules/modifications. As an example, our CYO JV (4th-6th grade) level does not allow full court pressing or trapping outside the arc after a 10 point lead. Our public middle school league, on the other hand, has a 15 point no press rule.

I often have to remind the officials of this, even the veteran ones, because Middle School and lower levels have so many different local rules, it's hard to keep up with them.

The center of attention as the lead & trail. – me
Games officiated: 525 Basketball · 76 Softball · 16 Baseball
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:48pm
Official Forum Member

Well I know we do have modifications, and I know them as well, but there are several rules I just want to clear up. Such as, would you call a double-foul on a Charge/Block situation if you couldn't determine which was committed?

Oh and I double-checked, were operating under the " National Federation of State High School Athletic Associations". I can probably google the rulebook
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 10:57pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

2008-09
NFHS Rules Books
Published in
17 sports by the National
Federation of State High School
Associations, Rules Books contain the official rules
for high school athletic competition. These books are
designed to explain all aspects of the game or contest. They are
good for participants as well as coaches and contest officials.

The NFHS also publishes case books, manuals, handbooks and
illustrated books in several sports to help in further explaining the
rules.
For ordering information, contact:
NATIONAL FEDERATION OF STATE HIGH SCHOOL ASSOCIATIONS
Customer Service Department
PO Box 361246 Indianapolis, IN 46236-5324
1-800-776-3462
or order online at National Federation of State High School Association Order form
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:01pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
...Would you call a double-foul on a Charge/Block situation if you couldn't determine which was committed?
No. One official should call one foul or the other foul. Never call both.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:09pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you want to move up and do this for a while, it would do you well to buy a copy of the rule book. There isn't a copy of the NFHS rule book available on line, that I know of, for free.

1. You need to decide if the defender had position. This does not mean they need to be set, they need to be in position. Once they establish Legal Guarding Position, they may actually be moving backwards or sideways when contact is made and still draw the charging foul against the offense. Coaches at the sub-varsity level of high school sometimes have a hard time with this one, so you can expect problems at the elementary level. In my opinion, if it's close enough to question, give the foul to the offense; thus rewarding good defense.

2. A coach going berserk in a youth game like this is going to be a quick T for me. Let him ask his question if he wants, but he does not get to yell at you and berate you for (what he thinks) missing a call.

3. A coach asking for my name to report me is likely to get a T as well. That's a threat.

4. You just have to learn how to ignore fans.

5. A player who falls with the ball in his possession travels. A player who gathers the ball while on the floor may slide, but may not roll or attempt to get up. Does this help?

6. Only the NBA has a rule against defenders "camping in the key." In NFHS and NCAA rules, it only applies to players whose team is in control with the ball in the front court.

7. Intentional fouls are called by crossing the arms in an X. The fouled player gets 2 free throws, and the fouled team will get a throwin at the spot nearest the foul.

8. Generally, two technical fouls are required before disqualification. The exception is if the first is considered flagrant.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:16pm
Official Forum Member

Shaq, that was actually really helpful thank you. In regards to the "legal guarding position", what exactly does that constitute? Watching youtube videos, i've seen players get called with the charge when the defender was set, but moved slightly sideways into the shooter.

Your right though about coaches and those calls at this level.

Also, let me make sure I have this right. You call an "illegal screen", when a player who is set into a screen moves to impeed the path of an offensive player with or without the ball correct? If its a "blind screen", then no foul is called. Now if an offensive player screens and a defensive player runs over him, this is a charge correct? Would an illegal screen mechanic be the same for a block?

I just have these few situational questions so thanks for your input
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:18pm
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Anyways, how do you cope with feeling rushed by the fans and coaches with calls? I blow my whistle, but my new officiating mind still needs a second to think about what I saw, however the coach took it as unprofessional when I went to discuss it with the other ref.
Slow down; take a breath....

Blow your whistle and raise your fist, keeping your eyes on the players involved. While you hold it up high, think about your call. Holding that fist high and long shows that you know what you're talking about. (A quick up-down fist may give the impression that you didn't want to make the call or that you were indecisive.)
[With your fist in the air and your arm locked, nobody will do anything until you call the foul. Everyone else has to wait on you.]
Then, when you have *your call* clear in your head, make the call.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:25pm
Aleve Titles to Others

Send a message via AIM to 26 Year Gap
Quote:
Originally Posted by mick View Post
Slow down; take a breath....

Blow your whistle and raise your fist, keeping your eyes on the players involved. While you hold it up high, think about your call. Holding that fist high and long shows that you know what you're talking about. (A quick up-down fist may give the impression that you didn't want to make the call or that you were indecisive.)
[With your fist in the air and your arm locked, nobody will do anything until you call the foul. Everyone else has to wait on you.]
Then, when you have *your call* clear in your head, make the call.
Unless it is a violation. Open hand for one of those.
Old Tue Feb 24, 2009, 11:28pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Again, I highly recommend getting a rule book. Rule 4 is where you should start, Definitions. That said, LGP is gained when a defender has two feet on the floor facing his opponent. Note, there's no time requirement, nor is there a requirement that he be stationary to gain LGP. Once LGP is gained, it may be maintained by moving sideways or backwards as long as the player is not moving into the offensive player when contact occurs.

I wouldn't call it an "illegal screen." Call it a block or a push or (maybe) a hold.

Defending a player with the ball is different than a player without the ball. On ball defenders have more rights than off ball, as far as movement is concerned. Off ball, screening principals apply to both sides. On ball, the defender does not need to provide time or distance as long as he is either in LGP or stationary.

Blind screens off ball must provide time and distance (no more than 1 step) or the screener can be called for a foul. If a blind screen has provided sufficient distance, then the contact may be severe without a foul so long as the screened player attempts to stop upon contact.

You are correct, running through a screen is a charging foul.

There is no "illegal screen" mechanic. It's a foul, either blocking, pushing, charging, or holding. Is the mechanic that fits the nature of the foul. If you verbalize it when you report, don't say "illegal screen."
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 02:10am
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
..... would you call a double-foul on a Charge/Block situation if you couldn't determine which was committed?
For the love of God, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!

Lonesome Dove
Old Wed Feb 25, 2009, 03:43am
Official Forum Member

I wouldn't think so, but I keep hearing the term "blarge" in reference to it. Like this video here: YouTube - Block Charge Play Seems like an obvious charging to me as the player was in a LGP, but no call?