The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:27am
Official Forum Member

2-Man Mechanics for a Beginner

Hi all,

This is my first year working youth softball. I've been around the game for some time (my sister has played for several years now) and due to having done a lot of basketball (I'm pretty active on the basketball forum here), I was asked this year if I would help umpire some games. I jumped on the opportunity as I love the sport. But that's really all beside the point....I've read the rulebook through and through, and have been working bases for a slow-pitch league (really relaxed and laid back, but invaluable as far as learning positioning). The one question that nags me is this.

I'm BU, runners on 1st and 2nd, I'm in C-slot (which I believe is right, but correct me if I'm wrong). Batter pops the ball up, and it lands in front of the plate, where F2 fields the ball, and attempts to put batter-runner out at 1B. My question is, often time I feel as if I'm in a bad position to make this call from all the way over at C-slot. How do you get in position to make this call?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 11:41am
Official Forum Member

It that situation, the best thing you can do is try to get the best possible angle for the play.

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:43pm
Official Forum Member

Wait for R1 to clear and move forward / to your right (approx toward pitcher). As Scott alludes to, angle is FAR more important than distance on this play, but if you can gain distance it will help you a bit (and probably looks better to anyone who cares about it). If you can get to the holding area behind the pitcher, that's about as good as you can hope for (and you're in better position for other potential developing plays).
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcrowder
Wait for R1 to clear and move forward / to your right (approx toward pitcher). As Scott alludes to, angle is FAR more important than distance on this play, but if you can gain distance it will help you a bit (and probably looks better to anyone who cares about it). If you can get to the holding area behind the pitcher, that's about as good as you can hope for (and you're in better position for other potential developing plays).
To get the angle perpendicular to the runner's path that is usually recommended, wouldn't you move to your left rather than right, closer to the 1st-2nd line versus closer to the pitcher position?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Mountaineer Send a message via Yahoo to Mountaineer
Get as close as you can and try to come to a stop position. Then you can take another step or so as you make the call to put you even a little closer. It might not help you make the call - but will look better by getting you closer to the play.

The best part about beating your head against the wall is it feels so good when you stop.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 02:14pm
Official Forum Member

I will move leftish / inish (if you know what I mean). You have R1 running so you need to be at a left diagonal type movement IMO. You must realize that with less than 2 outs, a good team just might just go to 3B to get the lead runner - it is a very real possibility. Dont get caught moving full bore to 1B and suddenly the play is behind you at 3B. So angle at 1 and ready for 3 is about as good as you can get From C, a 1B call is NEVER ideal. Its just not the best place to be, so do the best you can on it.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

I read the first post and am not 100% clear on one point.

You describe working the bases in a slow pitch game, then ask about how to handle a play from "C".

Are you doing this in the slow pitch games or the youth games you mentioned, which I assume to be fastpitch?
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:23pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BretMan
I read the first post and am not 100% clear on one point.

You describe working the bases in a slow pitch game, then ask about how to handle a play from "C".

Are you doing this in the slow pitch games or the youth games you mentioned, which I assume to be fastpitch?
Sorry, after reading my OP, that's not very clear. This is in the youth games. The SP stuff was just some background on me, and really not important and only confused the situation.
Old Mon Apr 02, 2007, 10:36pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via MSN to elie
Thanks a lot