The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 02:52pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OKREF View Post
The HC would still be gone if you got each assistant. That's 2 indirects to the HC. Along with the one he already got.
Agreed ... but now each assistant would have one as well. More thin ice for each.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 03:13pm
Official Forum Member

BV already? Season doesn't start around here until next week. Where are you?
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 03:18pm
Official Forum Member

Part of me thinks I hit him a little quick but I was already thinking I didn't want to hear this fella for 32 minutes.

Agreed
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 04:18pm
Official Forum Member

We are instructed to step in and "run interference" for a partner if they T a coach. There are two reasons given; 1: many officials get their juices flowing then they T a coach and it gives them a chance to gather themselves 2: if said coach continues and earns a second T it doesn't look like it is a personal thing between him and one official.

I actually had two partners in a camp game get blasted by the evaluator becuase of this. We had a quite game until about 2 minutes remaining. Coach goes off after an obvious call and almost meets me near center court. Before I can even report the foul and tech he is losing his mind and calling me a racist. I keep waiting for a partner to show up but nope. An AC runs out and I think he is going to try to pull the HC back...wrong. He starts yelling so I pop him. About that time a dad comes on the floor and grabs the HC but AC keeps going...T number 2...both are gone. Dad that started off helping turns around and starts yelling at me...that is when some evaluators run out and grab the dad. I call the game and point to the door. Our evaluator gets into the hallway about the same time we do and I yell "Where the he l l were you two?" Evaluator stops me and said "I got this" and lets them have it. Before he stopped I actually felt sorry for them.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 08:01pm
Stubborn Member

First of all, I agree with Johnny D that the HC should have been T'd up right away.

It's like allowing teams to get away with a lot of rough play early, and then trying to get them to settle down later in the game. It sounds like this HC thought he could get away with all that chirping, and was taken aback when he was told to calm down. Why not tell him earlier that he needs to dial it back?

I'm not blaming you or your partners for what you/they did or didn't do, I'm just saying things could have possibly been avoided by nipping them in the bud earlier.

As for another official stepping in, we are taught to do that. I know that if I was having a problem with a coach and had to whack him, I'd rather have a partner try and talk to him about it, because chances are that coach doesn't want to hear it from me.
Old Fri Nov 22, 2013, 10:32pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
... just thought he was some blowhard JV assistant.
That, my friend, was your first mistake!

There is NO SUCH THING as a blowhard assistant! Assistants get ZERO tolerance...just like a player on the bench.

Do not let Assistants get on your A$$!

This Coach might have figured he got away with being an A$$ as an assistant...so in his mind, he surely can keep it up as a Head Coach in the next game.

He deserved what he got...but, you could have shown him what it's about when he started acting like a jerk in the previous game.
Richland, WA
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 01:42am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I admit I reacted out of habit but he wanted to stay and "let the coach talk" as he put it. Do any of you share this practice in your pools where you report the "T" and then stay there?
Let the HC talk about...what? The weather? Politics? Your U2 needed to T the HC then turn and go opposite the table. If the HC or any of the ACs want to say something to him while he's 50 feet away then they're really asking to get tossed. Staying and talking gave the ACs the idea that they could say something too, which eventually turned things into a mess that you cleaned up.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 10:11am
Esteemed Forum Member

You Are Outta Here ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
Head Coach in the next game ... started acting like a jerk in the previous game.
Several years ago, we had a fairly inexperienced junior varsity official eject the varsity head coach, who was sitting on, and complaining from, the junior varsity bench, in the junior varsity game. By state association rules, he had to sit out the varsity game and have his assistant coach the varsity game that night. That varsity head coach was always a "pebble in our shoe". The junior varsity official got a standing ovation at out next meeting.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 11:06am.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 10:29am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Let the HC talk about...what? The weather? Politics? Your U2 needed to T the HC then turn and go opposite the table. If the HC or any of the ACs want to say something to him while he's 50 feet away then they're really asking to get tossed. Staying and talking gave the ACs the idea that they could say something too, which eventually turned things into a mess that you cleaned up.
This. This. And this.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 11:03am
Esteemed Forum Member

And If I Happen To Come Across Bambi's Coach ......

Quote:
First tossed coach of the season!
Congratulations on "bagging" your first one. I was fortunate enough to procure two "tags" for the upcoming season. I'll have to pick judiciously. I don't want to waste my two "tags" on just a average coaches. I just love the coaches who, when it comes to tea time, chose two lumps instead of just one. They make it so easy for us.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sat Nov 23, 2013 at 12:01pm.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 12:47pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

If you throw gasoline on a fire and it erupts, you can't blame the fire.

Ok, the metaphor falls apart right there, but still.
Old Sat Nov 23, 2013, 03:20pm
beware big brother

Quote:
Originally Posted by BatteryPowered View Post
We are instructed to step in and "run interference" for a partner if they T a coach. There are two reasons given; 1: many officials get their juices flowing then they T a coach and it gives them a chance to gather themselves 2: if said coach continues and earns a second T it doesn't look like it is a personal thing between him and one official.

I actually had two partners in a camp game get blasted by the evaluator becuase of this. We had a quite game until about 2 minutes remaining. Coach goes off after an obvious call and almost meets me near center court. Before I can even report the foul and tech he is losing his mind and calling me a racist. I keep waiting for a partner to show up but nope. An AC runs out and I think he is going to try to pull the HC back...wrong. He starts yelling so I pop him. About that time a dad comes on the floor and grabs the HC but AC keeps going...T number 2...both are gone. Dad that started off helping turns around and starts yelling at me...that is when some evaluators run out and grab the dad. I call the game and point to the door. Our evaluator gets into the hallway about the same time we do and I yell "Where the he l l were you two?" Evaluator stops me and said "I got this" and lets them have it. Before he stopped I actually felt sorry for them.

This is news to me. At every college camp I have ever been at where this type of situation has been discussed the advice has been to call the foul report it and have all referees vacate the area. They do not want or expect the non-calling officials trying to calm coaches down or discuss the call with them. The coach knows what he got the T for and it is his responsibility or his assistants responsibility to get him calmed down and ready to move on. When there are no officials near him to talk to, argue with or yell at, a new play has been created. The coach can continue his behavior, making the second T much easier to call or he can go back to his bench, calm himself down and move on. There is never any reason for any official to discuss a T on a coach for behavior related issues.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 08:55am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
That, my friend, was your first mistake!

There is NO SUCH THING as a blowhard assistant! Assistants get ZERO tolerance...just like a player on the bench.

Do not let Assistants get on your A$$!

This Coach might have figured he got away with being an A$$ as an assistant...so in his mind, he surely can keep it up as a Head Coach in the next game.

He deserved what he got...but, you could have shown him what it's about when he started acting like a jerk in the previous game.
He wasn't being an ass to us in the JV game but he was on the players in a way that made me feel uncomfortable. To quantify that statement...Bobby Knight is my personal coaching idol...so if this cat was making me unconfortable he was being an ass. Thus, I just thought he was a blowhard assistant.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 09:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Why not tell him earlier that he needs to dial it back?
I had warned the entire bench about 2 minutes prior to this incident.

I am in a new pool this year...part of being military is starting over every 3-4 years...and they take A LOT from coaches here. We discussed as crews during my first 3 nights and all 3 crews told me "that was just their thing." They say that is why they get so many contracts...and believe me they have this whole part of the state locked down...is because they are "approachable". I came from a pool where we didn't take nothing, and I mean nothing so I am trying to adjust and not be the lone wolf in the pool.

So like I said, about 2 minutes prior I had walked over as they came out of a huddle and told all 3 coaches "your leash is getting short fellas, lets clean this up."
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 09:31am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnny d View Post
This is news to me. At every college camp I have ever been at where this type of situation has been discussed the advice has been to call the foul report it and have all referees vacate the area. They do not want or expect the non-calling officials trying to calm coaches down or discuss the call with them. The coach knows what he got the T for and it is his responsibility or his assistants responsibility to get him calmed down and ready to move on. When there are no officials near him to talk to, argue with or yell at, a new play has been created. The coach can continue his behavior, making the second T much easier to call or he can go back to his bench, calm himself down and move on. There is never any reason for any official to discuss a T on a coach for behavior related issues.
That's fine...this was not a college camp. I would imagine lots of things would be different. And the partners are not there to calm down the coach...they are there to get the official out of an emotionally tense situation.

Like it or not, every official is not a top notch, emotionally neutral final four official who has complete contol of all of his faculties 100% of the time. I have seen on multiple occassions where a partner T's up a coach and I can tell by his demeanor and voice that he is "amped up". The powers that be in our area feel it is best for the "emotional" official to vacate the area as quickly as possible. If that means a partner (especially in a 3-man crew) coming in and getting between the official and the coach that is what is expected. Additionally, if the coach gets a second and is tossed other officials in the crew don't have to put in their report to the state "I was keeping myself busy getting everyone ready for the free-throws. My partner is an adult and needs to learn to handle his business. Talk to him if you want to know what happened." By stepping in and giving their partner a chance to report and leave and reminding the coach he has lost the box they now have first hand knowledge of what happens and what is said in the event an ejection is earned. They do not go in to discuss things with the coach.

Some may not think it is best approach...but it is the expected course of action here.