The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:12am
Official Forum Member

Tossed Coach

Coach of A following hard foul by A1 in 2nd Q complains that A1 has been getting hacked all game. "Coach that's enough. We have heard enough from you today." Coach of A, "I've had enough of you today". T on Coach. 3 minutes later foul called on a2. Coach standing, "that wasn''t a push....you've got to be kiing me..that's horrible" T on coach. Gone.

THe coach clearly deserved his T's. Any suggestion on handling a coach like this. Who clearly wanted the first T and did not get the message.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:21am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach
Coach of A following hard foul by A1 in 2nd Q complains that A1 has been getting hacked all game. "Coach that's enough. We have heard enough from you today." Coach of A, "I've had enough of you today". T on Coach. 3 minutes later foul called on a2. Coach standing, "that wasn''t a push....you've got to be kiing me..that's horrible" T on coach. Gone.

THe coach clearly deserved his T's. Any suggestion on handling a coach like this. Who clearly wanted the first T and did not get the message.

Did you call both T's or did you call one and then the other official?

Sometimes it might be helpful with a coach after the first T, the other official goes and remind him of the seat belt etc.,

And then if possible try not and call the other T yourself.

But in this situation, it sounds like he wanted to be tossed - there's nothing you can do but oblige.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:27am
MABO Member

David I know your not saying or at least i think your notsaying that the T's need to be given by separate Officials. I have heard that a lot lately and don't necessarily agree with that philosophy. If your partner is in a position to get the subsequent calls so be it otherwise, take the call yourself. I absolutely have no problem handing out the T and the DQ T (sounds like a ice cream treat) if I am in the position to hear or see the infraction.
This is just my opinion and so far it is working for me.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
David I know your not saying or at least i think your notsaying that the T's need to be given by separate Officials. I have heard that a lot lately and don't necessarily agree with that philosophy. If your partner is in a position to get the subsequent calls so be it otherwise, take the call yourself. I absolutely have no problem handing out the T and the DQ T (sounds like a ice cream treat) if I am in the position to hear or see the infraction.
Agreed. I'm not going to allow myself to be abused all day because I was the one who gave the first T and my partner is too scared to give the second.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:29am
In Memoriam

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbioteach

You didn't leave him much room. Maybe he deserved to be baited.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:42am
Official Forum Member

I try to use the "T" as it was intended. Simply an act of unsportsmanlike conduct. I think you really have to maintain control of the game, especially the calls on the court. I have only whacked 2 coaches this season. Probably because at this point they know me by now. However I always try to remain calm and am prepared to justify my call, NOT that we have to. For me however this is what is proving to work best for me. I try not to go on the defensive as soon as I hear something. For example last week boys hs game in a new league for me. The coach was yelling about a no call late in the game in a one point contest. I simply pointed out that his team was playing a very hard, aggressive defense and i wasn't going to take that away from his players, however I have to extend the courtesy to other team. The foul count was 7-3 in his favor. He simply nodded at me and said
"carry on". Not a word the rest of the game. Now had i gotten defensive and yelled back, probably would have T'd him up shortly thereafter.

In your case, I would of hit him twice, not thought twice about it.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:50am
Official Forum Member

Had a similar situation in HS varsity game where coach said that he had been getting closer calls all season until he met up with our crew. We were letting them play a little while still maintaining control. I smiled at him and said - look at it this way coach- before you were playing in the SEC and now you're in the Big 10. He actually laughed and said that made it easy to understand. Had no more problems.
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 11:59am
Official Forum Member

You are correct!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater
Exactly, I'm NOT saying that any T's HAVE to be given by anyone.

But the original post he was asking about possible ways to handle a coach like this and that was why I made that suggestion.

Often times the other official can help to keep a coach under control especially if he's having problems with only one official.

But, when a coach wants the T, give him what he asks for.

Thanks
David
Old Tue Feb 13, 2007, 12:16pm
Official Forum Member

You handled it exactly as you should have. Both were well deserved and I hope the rest of your night was quieter after the coach hit the showers.