The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 09:54am
Get away from me, Steve.

I've only had two basketball head coach ejections in 27 years (1 varsity and 1 JV), but I'll admit there were 1-2 more that I probably missed in an effort to "keep him in the game."

I'll also say that I've only run into one coach in my 12 years in WI that sounds as out of control as the coach in the OP (and that was one of my misses).

If I was going to keep them in the game, I would've whacked one assistant and tell them that, "someone's going home on the next one."

Keeping this head coach in the game wouldn't make you more approachable -- it would've made you and your crew doormats. But apparently the board you work on now may operate that way. Tough for you, no doubt.

(And 3 on one requires your presence. But the guy that whacked the coach should've gotten out of there himself.)
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post
I had warned the entire bench about 2 minutes prior to this incident.

I am in a new pool this year...part of being military is starting over every 3-4 years...and they take A LOT from coaches here. We discussed as crews during my first 3 nights and all 3 crews told me "that was just their thing." They say that is why they get so many contracts...and believe me they have this whole part of the state locked down...is because they are "approachable". I came from a pool where we didn't take nothing, and I mean nothing so I am trying to adjust and not be the lone wolf in the pool.

So like I said, about 2 minutes prior I had walked over as they came out of a huddle and told all 3 coaches "your leash is getting short fellas, lets clean this up."
I feel your pain brother. I moved first part of SEP, and starting over again.

-General George S. Patton, Jr.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 03:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by egj13 View Post

So like I said, about 2 minutes prior I had walked over as they came out of a huddle and told all 3 coaches "your leash is getting short fellas, lets clean this up."
I'm not a fan of this. I think it would be better to be direct and to the point. No slang, no colloquialisms, nothing vague. "I've heard enough about our calls and I want it stopped." or something to that effect. Then poof, outta there.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

If you really want to keep this coach in the game(personally, I wouldn't), you just issue a single bench technical for the actions of the ASSistants. You can say that one of them said something that was over the line, you're just not sure which one, and that still puts them all on warning.

I have also been taught that once you T a coach, you get out of there and let one of your partners take the position in front of the bench. In a 3 man crew, we generally have the calling official go far side to administer the throw in. That way, if the coach is giving someone an earful right then that requires a second T, it's a DIFFERENT official that makes the call. And if it's the same official calling the T, it's pretty likely that everyone in the gym knows why he got it.
Old Mon Nov 25, 2013, 05:53pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whistles & Stripes View Post
If you really want to keep this coach in the game(personally, I wouldn't), you just issue a single bench technical for the actions of the ASSistants. You can say that one of them said something that was over the line, you're just not sure which one, and that still puts them all on warning.
No need to claim one said something at all. While they all did, they each earned a T when they stood up to challenge the official. If you want, pick one and tag him for being furthest out, first up, the tallest, or the ugliest. I don't think it matters.

Personally, giving one asst coach a T after the HC gets his first is going to let him know he needs to not only control his behavior, but also the bench.

Frankly, just giving him his 2nd was the best route anyway.