The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:09am
#thereferee99

Arm & Leg Compression Sleeves

NFHS. New restrictions for leg compression sleeves. Black, white, beige, or school color. All team members wearing must have the same color.

Understood.

Can a team members wear white arm sleeves and black leg sleeves? Or must they all be the same color?
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:20am
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post
NFHS. New restrictions for leg compression sleeves. Black, white, beige, or school color. All team members wearing must have the same color.

Understood.

Can a team members wear white arm sleeves and black leg sleeves? Or must they all be the same color?
Consider arm and leg compression sleeves a unit... Must be same color and same color for all teammates. s Headbands and wristbands are a separate unit... they must be the same color per player and all players on a team must have the same color head and wrist bands.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:24am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by referee99 View Post

Understood.

2013-2014 Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 2: Prior to the start of the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing: (a) white wristbands and white headbands; or (b) black arm sleeves and white leg sleeves; or (c) black leg sleeves and white headbands. RULING:Legal in (a) and (c); illegal in (b). In (a), wristbands and headbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same for each item for all participants. In (b) illegal, the arm and leg sleeves shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and the same color for each team member. In (c), the rules do not require wristbands, headbands, arm and leg sleeves to all be the same color. (3-5-3, 3-5-4a)
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 11:31am
#thereferee99

Thanks!

Rules interp does the trick.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 03:53pm
Official Forum Member

Fashion police expanded...oh well.

I do remember seeing the pecking order revealed on a boys varsity team I was calling one night. Oppossing coach (home team) comes up to me before the game and points out that players on the other team are not wearing the same colored sweat bands. I sigh and walk over to the coach and have him call over the two players. I politely point out that all players must be wearing the same color and tell them one of them must either change to the other color, take them off or not play. The taller of the two players (and the one that had been nailing three pointers the entire time we had been on the floor) looks at the other kid and said "Dude, I just brought this color. It sucks but you gotta either change or take your's off." Other kid but his head down and took his off. As they walked off the coach says "You know, a dictatorship is easy to manage."
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 04:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by batterypowered View Post
fashion police expanded...oh well.

I do remember seeing the pecking order revealed on a boys varsity team i was calling one night. Oppossing coach (home team) comes up to me before the game and points out that players on the other team are not wearing the same colored sweat bands. I sigh and walk over to the coach and have him call over the two players. I politely point out that all players must be wearing the same color and tell them one of them must either change to the other color, take them off or not play. The taller of the two players (and the one that had been nailing three pointers the entire time we had been on the floor) looks at the other kid and said "dude, i just brought this color. It sucks but you gotta either change or take your's off." other kid but his head down and took his off. As they walked off the coach says "you know, a dictatorship is easy to manage."
roflmao
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 06:13pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Connecticut: The Land Of Stupid Officials ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PG_Ref View Post
2013-2014 Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 2: Prior to the start of the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing: black leg sleeves and white headbands. RULING: Legal. The rules do not require wristbands, headbands, arm and leg sleeves to all be the same color. (3-5-3, 3-5-4a)
We're doing something different in Connecticut:

CONNECTICUT ONLY: Head and wrist bands, along with knee and arm sleeves, must all be the same color.

Just what we need, to make a "Fashion Police" rule more stringent than it legally is. For what possible reason can we be doing this? I've been told that it was to make it easier for officials, coaches, and players, to understand. Coaches, and players, I can understand. But officials? Some Grand Poobah here in Connecticut thinks that officials are too stupid to understand the "real" rule. Give me a break.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Nov 18, 2013 at 06:38pm.
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 08:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Some Grand Poobah here in Connecticut thinks that officials are too stupid to understand the "real" rule.

Well......

Your State did make it easier to understand.

If you went to any association meeting in any State...what percentage of the officials, do you think, would know exactly what combination of colors and what combination of gear have to be coordinated?

It's not a matter of being "stupid"...just a matter of being IGNORANT.
Richland, WA
Old Mon Nov 18, 2013, 09:47pm
Official Forum Member

arm SLEEVE = leg SLEEVE

head BAND = wrist BAND

SLEEVE <> BAND
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 07:07am
Esteemed Forum Member

Education Is The Key To Success ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by RookieDude View Post
It's not a matter of being "stupid"...just a matter of being IGNORANT.
Disagree. Once the officials have been educated in regard to the new rule, it moves from the realm of ignorance into the realm of stupidity.

Once informed of the new rule, just exactly how difficult is it to understand this (below)?

Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. When wearing headbands and/or wristbands, all team players must wear the same color, i.e., the headband color must match the wristband color. Arm compression sleeves, and leg compression sleeves, must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. When wearing arm compression sleeves, and/or leg compression sleeves, all team players must wear the same color, i.e., the arm compression sleeve color must match the leg compression sleeve color.

Or, even easier:

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
arm SLEEVE = leg SLEEVE

head BAND = wrist BAND

SLEEVE <> BAND
Or, check this out (created by one of our esteemed Forum members with a sense of humor, it's factual, and funny):

http://www.iaabo6.org/Interp/2014/in...Oct%202013.pdf
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Nov 19, 2013 at 07:24am.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 09:14am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Disagree. Once the officials have been educated in regard to the new rule...
You can stop right here with your flawed premise.

This is precisely the problem; many aren't getting educated on the rule (for a variety of different reasons).
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 10:05am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
You can stop right here with your flawed premise.

This is precisely the problem; many aren't getting educated on the rule (for a variety of different reasons).
Shouldn't all officials read the new rule book each year? And, maybe it's different in other states, but don't you have to attend a certain number of meetings?

There doesn't seem to be any reason why officials DON'T learn the new rules.
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 05:13pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanV21 View Post
Shouldn't all officials read the new rule book each year? And, maybe it's different in other states, but don't you have to attend a certain number of meetings?

There doesn't seem to be any reason why officials DON'T learn the new rules.
Meetings don’t guarantee anything for some folks, especially those who just sit and BS with their buddies. As for the rule book: check your partners this season and see how many of them have cracked the spine on theirs, if they’re even carrying them in their bags.
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Tue Nov 19, 2013, 07:40pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
Meetings don’t guarantee anything for some folks, especially those who just sit and BS with their buddies. As for the rule book: check your partners this season and see how many of them have cracked the spine on theirs, if they’re even carrying them in their bags.
As I have stated in relation to other subjects, I am part of 2 HS associations. One of them is 60 miles away, for which I do public school games. One of the reasons I don't mind making the trips to work up there is because they are a very well run organization. They discuss rules every meeting, and we have a video session every meeting.
Old Wed Nov 20, 2013, 11:00am
Stubborn Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
So it's the fault of the educators that students don't pay attention or do their homework?

All officials are given the resources to learn new rules and such, so if they don't know them when they get on the floor then it's their fault... not others for failing to educate them properly.