The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Arm & Leg Compression Sleeves (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/96580-arm-leg-compression-sleeves.html)

referee99 Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:09am

Arm & Leg Compression Sleeves

NFHS. New restrictions for leg compression sleeves. Black, white, beige, or school color. All team members wearing must have the same color.

Understood.

Can a team members wear white arm sleeves and black leg sleeves? Or must they all be the same color?

Freddy Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:20am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 911086)
NFHS. New restrictions for leg compression sleeves. Black, white, beige, or school color. All team members wearing must have the same color.

Understood.

Can a team members wear white arm sleeves and black leg sleeves? Or must they all be the same color?

Consider arm and leg compression sleeves a unit... Must be same color and same color for all teammates. s Headbands and wristbands are a separate unit... they must be the same color per player and all players on a team must have the same color head and wrist bands.

PG_Ref Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:24am

Quote:

Originally Posted by referee99 (Post 911086)

Understood.

2013-2014 Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 2: Prior to the start of the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing: (a) white wristbands and white headbands; or (b) black arm sleeves and white leg sleeves; or (c) black leg sleeves and white headbands. RULING:Legal in (a) and (c); illegal in (b). In (a), wristbands and headbands shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and shall be the same for each item for all participants. In (b) illegal, the arm and leg sleeves shall be white, black, beige or a single solid school color and the same color for each team member. In (c), the rules do not require wristbands, headbands, arm and leg sleeves to all be the same color. (3-5-3, 3-5-4a)

referee99 Mon Nov 18, 2013 11:31am

Thanks!

Rules interp does the trick.

BatteryPowered Mon Nov 18, 2013 03:53pm

Fashion police expanded...oh well.

I do remember seeing the pecking order revealed on a boys varsity team I was calling one night. Oppossing coach (home team) comes up to me before the game and points out that players on the other team are not wearing the same colored sweat bands. I sigh and walk over to the coach and have him call over the two players. I politely point out that all players must be wearing the same color and tell them one of them must either change to the other color, take them off or not play. The taller of the two players (and the one that had been nailing three pointers the entire time we had been on the floor) looks at the other kid and said "Dude, I just brought this color. It sucks but you gotta either change or take your's off." Other kid but his head down and took his off. As they walked off the coach says "You know, a dictatorship is easy to manage."

BigT Mon Nov 18, 2013 04:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by batterypowered (Post 911113)
fashion police expanded...oh well.

I do remember seeing the pecking order revealed on a boys varsity team i was calling one night. Oppossing coach (home team) comes up to me before the game and points out that players on the other team are not wearing the same colored sweat bands. I sigh and walk over to the coach and have him call over the two players. I politely point out that all players must be wearing the same color and tell them one of them must either change to the other color, take them off or not play. The taller of the two players (and the one that had been nailing three pointers the entire time we had been on the floor) looks at the other kid and said "dude, i just brought this color. It sucks but you gotta either change or take your's off." other kid but his head down and took his off. As they walked off the coach says "you know, a dictatorship is easy to manage."

roflmao

BillyMac Mon Nov 18, 2013 06:13pm

Connecticut: The Land Of Stupid Officials ???

Quote:

Originally Posted by PG_Ref (Post 911090)
2013-2014 Rules Interpretations

SITUATION 2: Prior to the start of the game, an official notices that several Team A members are wearing: black leg sleeves and white headbands. RULING: Legal. The rules do not require wristbands, headbands, arm and leg sleeves to all be the same color. (3-5-3, 3-5-4a)

We're doing something different in Connecticut:

CONNECTICUT ONLY: Head and wrist bands, along with knee and arm sleeves, must all be the same color.

Just what we need, to make a "Fashion Police" rule more stringent than it legally is. For what possible reason can we be doing this? I've been told that it was to make it easier for officials, coaches, and players, to understand. Coaches, and players, I can understand. But officials? Some Grand Poobah here in Connecticut thinks that officials are too stupid to understand the "real" rule. Give me a break.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5251/5...ca118730_m.jpg

RookieDude Mon Nov 18, 2013 08:04pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 911137)
Some Grand Poobah here in Connecticut thinks that officials are too stupid to understand the "real" rule.

http://farm6.staticflickr.com/5251/5...ca118730_m.jpg

Well......

Your State did make it easier to understand.

If you went to any association meeting in any State...what percentage of the officials, do you think, would know exactly what combination of colors and what combination of gear have to be coordinated?

It's not a matter of being "stupid"...just a matter of being IGNORANT.;)

bob jenkins Mon Nov 18, 2013 09:47pm

arm SLEEVE = leg SLEEVE

head BAND = wrist BAND

SLEEVE <> BAND

BillyMac Tue Nov 19, 2013 07:07am

Education Is The Key To Success ...

Quote:

Originally Posted by RookieDude (Post 911144)
It's not a matter of being "stupid"...just a matter of being IGNORANT.

Disagree. Once the officials have been educated in regard to the new rule, it moves from the realm of ignorance into the realm of stupidity.

Once informed of the new rule, just exactly how difficult is it to understand this (below)?

Headbands and wristbands must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. When wearing headbands and/or wristbands, all team players must wear the same color, i.e., the headband color must match the wristband color. Arm compression sleeves, and leg compression sleeves, must be white, black, beige or a single solid school color. When wearing arm compression sleeves, and/or leg compression sleeves, all team players must wear the same color, i.e., the arm compression sleeve color must match the leg compression sleeve color.

Or, even easier:

Quote:

Originally Posted by bob jenkins (Post 911152)
arm SLEEVE = leg SLEEVE

head BAND = wrist BAND

SLEEVE <> BAND

Or, check this out (created by one of our esteemed Forum members with a sense of humor, it's factual, and funny):

http://www.iaabo6.org/Interp/2014/in...Oct%202013.pdf

Adam Tue Nov 19, 2013 09:14am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 911167)
Disagree. Once the officials have been educated in regard to the new rule...

You can stop right here with your flawed premise.

This is precisely the problem; many aren't getting educated on the rule (for a variety of different reasons).

BryanV21 Tue Nov 19, 2013 10:05am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 911170)
You can stop right here with your flawed premise.

This is precisely the problem; many aren't getting educated on the rule (for a variety of different reasons).

Shouldn't all officials read the new rule book each year? And, maybe it's different in other states, but don't you have to attend a certain number of meetings?

There doesn't seem to be any reason why officials DON'T learn the new rules.

JetMetFan Tue Nov 19, 2013 05:13pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanV21 (Post 911175)
Shouldn't all officials read the new rule book each year? And, maybe it's different in other states, but don't you have to attend a certain number of meetings?

There doesn't seem to be any reason why officials DON'T learn the new rules.

Meetings don’t guarantee anything for some folks, especially those who just sit and BS with their buddies. As for the rule book: check your partners this season and see how many of them have cracked the spine on theirs, if they’re even carrying them in their bags.

Raymond Tue Nov 19, 2013 07:40pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 911295)
Meetings don’t guarantee anything for some folks, especially those who just sit and BS with their buddies. As for the rule book: check your partners this season and see how many of them have cracked the spine on theirs, if they’re even carrying them in their bags.

As I have stated in relation to other subjects, I am part of 2 HS associations. One of them is 60 miles away, for which I do public school games. One of the reasons I don't mind making the trips to work up there is because they are a very well run organization. They discuss rules every meeting, and we have a video session every meeting.

BryanV21 Wed Nov 20, 2013 11:00am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 911295)

So it's the fault of the educators that students don't pay attention or do their homework?

All officials are given the resources to learn new rules and such, so if they don't know them when they get on the floor then it's their fault... not others for failing to educate them properly.