Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old Wed Oct 23, 2013, 04:35pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Difference being in your case you had definite knowledge. In the OP, he "thought" player didn't have control and he was about 40' from the play.
Whoa, hold on, let's get the facts straight. The only reason why I said "I thought" is that I always leave room for doubt. That was my personal position. And that doubt was maybe that my partner saw that the player gained possession of the ball in the front court before catching it when stepping in the backcourt. I did specify in this thread on how I saw the play, in that the player touched the ball in the front court but caught the ball with both hands in the backcourt. And given that, I allowed my partner an out by asking him if the player gained possession of the ball with one hand, so even if I had absolute 100% knowledge that he was wrong, and I had the willingness to approach him, I would do it the same way, by asking him whether the player gained control of the ball in the front court.

What other way would you have addressed the situation when the coach is immediately asking you to confer with your partner when we all know that is what we're supposed to do? I wasn't going to tell the coach no I'm not going to ask him about the call, live with it coach.

And I don't understand why so many here are so antithetical to making sure we get the call right as a crew?

Secondly, why are still focused on this. I later said in this thread that I apologized to my partner for approaching him in the first place given that he took it personally, which as I've understood shouldn't even be an excuse as we're supposed to leave our egos at the door when we enter the gym.

My intention for this thread is how to approach situations where I can better present my considerations. I never asked how to overrule a partner as I would never intend to do that. And being an experienced official, I know there are times where I may come across as condescending, especially with newer officials. Hence my thread here.