The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 01:48am
Do not give a damn!!

"That is my partner's call."

Do people find this comment to be seen as throwing your partner under the bus if you say this to a coach? Or do you see this as a way to explain a call that you are not directly involved in?

An email got me thinking and I want opinions from others.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 01:57am
Courageous When Prudent

I've had supervisors who say they don't like that statement.

They prefer "that play was right in front of my partner" or "I didn't get a good look".

They feel that saying "it was my partner's call" is the equivalent of saying "it's not my call/area" and means you saw something obvious but decided not to blow your whistle. (of course this applies to no-calls, there are no discussions if my partner actually makes a call).
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 02:12am
Official Forum Member

I tend to tell coaches:

"(Partner's name) is right there and had the best look at it."

"(Partner's name) will tell you what he saw (or didn't see) as soon as he can."

Saying "that's my partner's call" to me means that you are in disagreement with the call. A coach can sense that and will use it to divide the crew.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:10am
We don't rent pigs

I prefer not to mention my partner.

"I can't call that from here." or "I'm not looking way over there."

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 07:27am
Certified Non-Fanboy

In my opinion saying that could be taken by a coach to mean, "I agree with you, I'm not the one who called/didn't call that." I prefer "He had a great look, he was right there."
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I prefer not to mention my partner.

"I can't call that from here." or "I'm not looking way over there."
I usually state this positively instead of negativiely: "I was looking at xx and xx" (be specific).
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 09:23am
Often wrong never n doubt

I agree with what has been said. When I coached I hated the "I can't call that from here or that isn't my call" That always made me feel like I saw it and choose not to call it. It also made me feel they were selling their partner out. I much prefered the "i'm didn't see it as I'm not watching that area.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 10:56am
Do not give a damn!!

Well I have said that phrase in some context previously, but usually say more like, "I have no idea what happened on that play, not looking there." I also do not explain calls I do not see or did not have a whistle on either. I have no problem telling a coach to speak with the calling official for a better or clearer explanation when they get a chance.

On Saturday I have a game where I called a foul from the Lead where the ball when in the basket and a teammate of the fouled team went up and touched the ball. Well of course I did not see the violation at all but knew the player was up on the rim. My partner comes in and calls a offensive BI and gives me information before I go to the table. Well I wave off the basket and then report the foul. Well the coach complains to me as I go table side and I tell him flat out, "Coach that is his call all the way, I am not looking up there or cannot really make that call from my position." I did tell him, "I think he touched the ball but my partner will gladly tell you what he called when he gets a chance." The coach said almost nothing else to me and later my partner did explain his call and we moved on. Not saying that was the best thing to say, but I could not think of anything else to really say for that kind of play as it literally was not my call to make. Otherwise I would have said something totally different. Not saying I was right, just did not want to explain something I clearly did not see.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:14am
Get away from me, Steve.

My line is usually -- "We've got two officials looking there, I'm looking at (insert something here)."

Coaches, like fans, follow the ball. I think they think we do, too.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:49am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Do people find this comment to be seen as throwing your partner under the bus if you say this to a coach? Or do you see this as a way to explain a call that you are not directly involved in?

An email got me thinking and I want opinions from others.

Peace
I can see where other officials would say this is throwing a partner under the bus. I think it does single out the calling official and brings more focus on them.

Short reply: "ask Rut"
Long reply: "ask Rut, it was his play, he can answer your question"

Last edited by icallfouls; Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 11:54am.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 11:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Well I have said that phrase in some context previously, but usually say more like, "I have no idea what happened on that play, not looking there." I also do not explain calls I do not see or did not have a whistle on either. I have no problem telling a coach to speak with the calling official for a better or clearer explanation when they get a chance.

On Saturday I have a game where I called a foul from the Lead where the ball when in the basket and a teammate of the fouled team went up and touched the ball. Well of course I did not see the violation at all but knew the player was up on the rim. My partner comes in and calls a offensive BI and gives me information before I go to the table. Well I wave off the basket and then report the foul. Well the coach complains to me as I go table side and I tell him flat out, "Coach that is his call all the way, I am not looking up there or cannot really make that call from my position." I did tell him, "I think he touched the ball but my partner will gladly tell you what he called when he gets a chance." The coach said almost nothing else to me and later my partner did explain his call and we moved on. Not saying that was the best thing to say, but I could not think of anything else to really say for that kind of play as it literally was not my call to make. Otherwise I would have said something totally different. Not saying I was right, just did not want to explain something I clearly did not see.

Peace
After all that, I can hear the bus backing up for a second run at partner

"We communicated, offense committed BI, no basket, 2 Ft's"

Last edited by icallfouls; Tue Dec 25, 2012 at 12:02pm.
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:01pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:

Peace
My answer would be: "Coach, we got together and talked about it and this is OUR ruling."
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 12:28pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I usually state this positively instead of negativiely: "I was looking at xx and xx" (be specific).
I like this too. Of course it also depends on what the complaint is about. Coaches usually complain to the official that is nearest, no matter what. What can you possibly say when, as lead in two man, the coach is screaming at you about the ten second count? Sometimes there is no substitute for a shoulder shrug. Or, better yet, a brief, incredulous look.

"What is this strange, coachese language which you are speaking?"

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:06pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
After all that, I can hear the bus backing up for a second run at partner

"We communicated, offense committed BI, no basket, 2 Ft's"
Is the bus backed up because you feel it is or because of my partner? I told my partner what I said and he did not bat an eye. I would not have have been upset. Coaches need to know that we all do not call the same things and that expectation is silly.

I think sometimes we worry too much about what others think of us honestly and especially coaches.

Peace
Old Tue Dec 25, 2012, 03:19pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Is the bus backed up because you feel it is or because of my partner? I told my partner what I said and he did not bat an eye. I would not have have been upset. Coaches need to know that we all do not call the same things and that expectation is silly.

I think sometimes we worry too much about what others think of us honestly and especially coaches.

Peace
If that is your perspective, why did you ask? Your question implies otherwise