The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 01:40pm
Official Forum Member

Block/Charge video

Because we all love videos;

I have a block. The last step to get into LGP looks late to me. Plus if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.

The season is almost here!
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 02:54pm
Courageous When Prudent

From this view I agree with the Lead.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ballgame99 View Post
Plus if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.
What's your definition of "in time"? Looks like a good call to me.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:09pm
AremRed

Charge. I don't think the lateral movement OP is talking about takes away the defenders LGP.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:25pm
Official Forum Member

Good call. Would be a shame to penalize the D on this one.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:48pm
Official Forum Member

Charge

Charge. The defender established LGP. I would also be ok with a no-call. I don't know the flow/physicality of the game, but they are supposed to be two of the best HS teams in the country and the contact wasn't that severe.
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 03:50pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Plus if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.
This game was played under NFHS rules. By rule, what does being under the basket have to do with anything?
"The NCAA created this mess, so let them live with it." (JRutledge)
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 05:23pm
This IS My Social Life

Hate to Pile On, But . . .

Quote:
. . . if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.
Therefore, a charge is granted anywhere else on the floor in spite of the defense getting there a little late?

Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 06:18pm
Official Forum Member

NFHS: Legal guarding position by the secondary defender and obvious displacement. Charge 100% of the way.

NCAA-W: This would be a restricted arc play since the player received the ball outside the lower defensive box as I understand the new rule. True?

I don't understand how you could have a no-call on this play with the displacement across the lane but that's why we are all here to learn.

-Josh
Old Thu Aug 29, 2013, 06:31pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmara View Post
NFHS: Legal guarding position by the secondary defender and obvious displacement. Charge 100% of the way.

NCAA-W: This would be a restricted arc play since the player received the ball outside the lower defensive box as I understand the new rule. True?

I don't understand how you could have a no-call on this play with the displacement across the lane but that's why we are all here to learn.

-Josh
I could see a no-call if you think displacement was sufficiently embellished. I've seen players cause themselves to slide back that far on minor contact.

From this angle, I like the call, although I would like to see the lead on the other side to get this. He would have had a much better view of the play, and the level of contact that was actually made.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 07:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I could see a no-call if you think displacement was sufficiently embellished. I've seen players cause themselves to slide back that far on minor contact.

From this angle, I like the call, although I would like to see the lead on the other side to get this. He would have had a much better view of the play, and the level of contact that was actually made.
It was an immediate drive to the basket, I think he was good in not rotating. Plus his partners were slow in getting down court.

If he rotates then and A1 passes the ball across court there would be nobody to referee ball side.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 07:49am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
It was an immediate drive to the basket, I think he was good in not rotating. Plus his partners were slow in getting down court.

If he rotates then and A1 passes the ball across court there would be nobody to referee ball side.
I get that, and not everyone will agree with me. This was a slow break, IMO, and I have no problem going ball side for the angle. If it makes C bust his hump a bit more (I pregame that I'll do this), so be it.

Regardless, if L doesn't get over (for whatever reason), this is C's call. The fact that he's a bit slow coming down court doesn't change that. I think the L was right in getting it, but I'm a bit disappointed I don't see a whistle from C.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 08:38am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I get that, and not everyone will agree with me. This was a slow break, IMO, and I have no problem going ball side for the angle. If it makes C bust his hump a bit more (I pregame that I'll do this), so be it.

Regardless, if L doesn't get over (for whatever reason), this is C's call. The fact that he's a bit slow coming down court doesn't change that. I think the L was right in getting it, but I'm a bit disappointed I don't see a whistle from C.
All the guys I work for don't want us rotating until all 3 officials are in the front court.

But even if the C had gotten down the court faster he is supposed to be officiating A1 and B1 all the way to the basket and up in the air. B1 is contesting the shot from behind so the C has to watch for that contact. The C is not going to be focused on that secondary defender (B2) sliding in and taking the contact.

To me this is the Lead's whistle all the way.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 08:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
All the guys I work for don't want us rotating until all 3 officials are in the front court.
SOme say don't rotate until all officials are in the FC.

Others say get over where you need to be and it's up to the other officials to move.

It might depend on what you can rely on from the "average" official.

When in rome ....

And, sometimes you need to officiate, no matter what the "mechanics" say.
Old Fri Aug 30, 2013, 08:53am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetMetFan View Post
This game was played under NFHS rules. By rule, what does being under the basket have to do with anything?
I'm just saying if its bang/bang and the defender is under the basket, I'm going to lean towards a block. That's all Im saying. And from the angle given, it looks like B1 slides into his final position while A1 is airborne.