The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Block/Charge video (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/95965-block-charge-video.html)

ballgame99 Thu Aug 29, 2013 01:40pm

Block/Charge video

Because we all love videos;

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube-nocookie.com/embed/A0UAf9sJ5FA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I have a block. The last step to get into LGP looks late to me. Plus if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.

The season is almost here!

Raymond Thu Aug 29, 2013 02:54pm

From this view I agree with the Lead.

Smitty Thu Aug 29, 2013 03:01pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by ballgame99 (Post 903809)
Plus if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.

What's your definition of "in time"? Looks like a good call to me.

AremRed Thu Aug 29, 2013 03:09pm

Charge. I don't think the lateral movement OP is talking about takes away the defenders LGP.

Amesman Thu Aug 29, 2013 03:25pm

Good call. Would be a shame to penalize the D on this one.

JeffM Thu Aug 29, 2013 03:48pm

Charge

Charge. The defender established LGP. I would also be ok with a no-call. I don't know the flow/physicality of the game, but they are supposed to be two of the best HS teams in the country and the contact wasn't that severe.

JetMetFan Thu Aug 29, 2013 03:50pm

Quote:

Plus if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.

This game was played under NFHS rules. By rule, what does being under the basket have to do with anything?

Freddy Thu Aug 29, 2013 05:23pm

Hate to Pile On, But . . .

Quote:

. . . if you want to draw a charge under the basket I'm not going to give it to you unless you are very clearly there in time.

Therefore, a charge is granted anywhere else on the floor in spite of the defense getting there a little late? :confused:

:D

jdmara Thu Aug 29, 2013 06:18pm

NFHS: Legal guarding position by the secondary defender and obvious displacement. Charge 100% of the way.

NCAA-W: This would be a restricted arc play since the player received the ball outside the lower defensive box as I understand the new rule. True?

I don't understand how you could have a no-call on this play with the displacement across the lane but that's why we are all here to learn.

-Josh

Adam Thu Aug 29, 2013 06:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmara (Post 903843)
NFHS: Legal guarding position by the secondary defender and obvious displacement. Charge 100% of the way.

NCAA-W: This would be a restricted arc play since the player received the ball outside the lower defensive box as I understand the new rule. True?

I don't understand how you could have a no-call on this play with the displacement across the lane but that's why we are all here to learn.

-Josh

I could see a no-call if you think displacement was sufficiently embellished. I've seen players cause themselves to slide back that far on minor contact.

From this angle, I like the call, although I would like to see the lead on the other side to get this. He would have had a much better view of the play, and the level of contact that was actually made.

Raymond Fri Aug 30, 2013 07:41am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 903844)
I could see a no-call if you think displacement was sufficiently embellished. I've seen players cause themselves to slide back that far on minor contact.

From this angle, I like the call, although I would like to see the lead on the other side to get this. He would have had a much better view of the play, and the level of contact that was actually made.

It was an immediate drive to the basket, I think he was good in not rotating. Plus his partners were slow in getting down court.

If he rotates then and A1 passes the ball across court there would be nobody to referee ball side.

Adam Fri Aug 30, 2013 07:49am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 903862)
It was an immediate drive to the basket, I think he was good in not rotating. Plus his partners were slow in getting down court.

If he rotates then and A1 passes the ball across court there would be nobody to referee ball side.

I get that, and not everyone will agree with me. This was a slow break, IMO, and I have no problem going ball side for the angle. If it makes C bust his hump a bit more (I pregame that I'll do this), so be it.

Regardless, if L doesn't get over (for whatever reason), this is C's call. The fact that he's a bit slow coming down court doesn't change that. I think the L was right in getting it, but I'm a bit disappointed I don't see a whistle from C.

Raymond Fri Aug 30, 2013 08:38am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Adam (Post 903863)
I get that, and not everyone will agree with me. This was a slow break, IMO, and I have no problem going ball side for the angle. If it makes C bust his hump a bit more (I pregame that I'll do this), so be it.

Regardless, if L doesn't get over (for whatever reason), this is C's call. The fact that he's a bit slow coming down court doesn't change that. I think the L was right in getting it, but I'm a bit disappointed I don't see a whistle from C.

All the guys I work for don't want us rotating until all 3 officials are in the front court.

But even if the C had gotten down the court faster he is supposed to be officiating A1 and B1 all the way to the basket and up in the air. B1 is contesting the shot from behind so the C has to watch for that contact. The C is not going to be focused on that secondary defender (B2) sliding in and taking the contact.

To me this is the Lead's whistle all the way.

bob jenkins Fri Aug 30, 2013 08:47am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 903867)
All the guys I work for don't want us rotating until all 3 officials are in the front court.

SOme say don't rotate until all officials are in the FC.

Others say get over where you need to be and it's up to the other officials to move.

It might depend on what you can rely on from the "average" official.

When in rome ....

And, sometimes you need to officiate, no matter what the "mechanics" say.

ballgame99 Fri Aug 30, 2013 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JetMetFan (Post 903829)
This game was played under NFHS rules. By rule, what does being under the basket have to do with anything?

I'm just saying if its bang/bang and the defender is under the basket, I'm going to lean towards a block. That's all Im saying. And from the angle given, it looks like B1 slides into his final position while A1 is airborne.