The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:23am
Official Forum Member

Exclamation NCAA vs FIBA Rules

Guys I'm currently writing an thesis about the different rules between NCAA & FIBA and I wonder if you can offer me any prospective/opinion.

1. Different rules you're concerning;
2. Benefit of that rule at either side;
3. Other thoughts
Ps, Miscellaneous topics are welcomed as well such as the unique zebra ref shirts/all-black shoes required (marked logos) etc.

Thanks
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 09:46am
Do not give a damn!!

Most here are from America, so we rarely if ever deal with any FIBA rules. So I am sure I am not totally alone, I have no concerns about FIBA rules as it relates to NCAA or any other rules code for example. That being said there are certainly a few that are from Canada and other countries that post here. Maybe they can help, but they are not that big in numbers as those from this country, but certainly those can bring some perspective. Otherwise I am sure most rarely even think of FIBA rules except for every 4 years in the Olympics.

Peace
Old Tue Aug 13, 2013, 02:39pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Most here are from America, so we rarely if ever deal with any FIBA rules. So I am sure I am not totally alone, I have no concerns about FIBA rules as it relates to NCAA or any other rules code for example. That being said there are certainly a few that are from Canada and other countries that post here. Maybe they can help, but they are not that big in numbers as those from this country, but certainly those can bring some perspective. Otherwise I am sure most rarely even think of FIBA rules except for every 4 years in the Olympics.

Peace
tl;dr -- Don't know, don't care, ask someone else.
Old Thu Aug 22, 2013, 06:54pm
Official Forum Member

Fiba prefers to have the outcome decided by the players. That is why they don't allow for the calling of live ball timeouts. American rule sets gives far more control to the coaches.

When you scrape away a few goofy nuances that FIBA has the rules are quite similar.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:13pm
MABO Member

This is a presentation we received from the National Rules Interpreter when Canada was switching over to full FIBA rule set.

FIBA vs NCAA Rules Presentation

If this link doesnt open the presentation scroll down the page and find it.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.

Last edited by SmokeEater; Fri Aug 23, 2013 at 12:16pm.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:15pm
beware big brother

Allowing timeouts to be called during a live ball situation means the coaches decide the outcome of a game rather than the players..............wow!
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:17pm
Do not give a damn!!

What does calling timeout during a live ball really have to do with the coaches? It is not uncommon for a player on their own to get in some kind of trouble with the ball and request a timeout. Sounds like players are making many of those decisions if you ask me.

Peace
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 12:24pm
MABO Member

I think it was a poor choice of words. But FIBA does not encourage live ball stoppages in play. Therefore making the game flow along faster and allows the players to decide the outcome.

Time Outs can only be called through the scorekeepers bench by the coach or assistant and only during a time stoppage.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 02:28pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmokeEater View Post
I think it was a poor choice of words. But FIBA does not encourage live ball stoppages in play. Therefore making the game flow along faster and allows the players to decide the outcome.

Time Outs can only be called through the scorekeepers bench by the coach or assistant and only during a time stoppage.
Players always decide the outcome.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 03:13pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by constable View Post
Fiba prefers to have the outcome decided by the players.
So...under NCAA rules, how many points, on average, do the coaches score?
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 04:50pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
If the Fed adopted this and if this rule had a Facebook page I would push the "Like" button.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 11:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I believe coaches can call a time out any time they want. It will be only be awarded during a time stoppage.
Old Fri Aug 23, 2013, 11:46pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis View Post
Guys I'm currently writing an thesis about the different rules between NCAA & FIBA and I wonder if you can offer me any prospective/opinion.

1. Different rules you're concerning;
2. Benefit of that rule at either side;
3. Other thoughts
Ps, Miscellaneous topics are welcomed as well such as the unique zebra ref shirts/all-black shoes required (marked logos) etc.

Thanks
The FIBA rule I think should be incorporated into US rules is the advantage rule on free throws. Offensive player, other than the shooter, violates on a free throw and shot goes in, ignore violation.

Worst FIBA rule is timeout from the bench. No reason for this
Old Sat Aug 24, 2013, 07:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
If the Fed adopted this and if this rule had a Facebook page I would push the "Like" button.
No way I'd want the FIBA rule for timeouts. It completely eliminates any chance at clock management late in the game.

Now, I would like to see coaches' ability to request timeout restricted to dead ball periods (including when the clock is running) and leave the rest to players. (It might actually force a lot more officials to understand when the ball is actually dead and when it's not.)
Old Sat Aug 24, 2013, 10:05am
This IS My Social Life

The Real World is Different

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
. . . I would like to see coaches' ability to request timeout restricted to dead ball periods (including when the clock is running) and leave the rest to players.
Assuming there is a bargaining process between coaches and officials before NFHS revises a rule, which of course is not true, I would be happy to settle for this as a reasonable middle ground.
We're fooling ourselves anyway. I'm struggling to recall the last time coaches had something given to them that they were willing to give up. It would be like waking up to find out the seat belt rule was reenacted or something.