The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 01:06pm
Official Forum Member

I am new to basketball and my association (in Canada) has just switched from FIBA to NCAA rules. I think they are hanging on to some old ideas/rules/mechanics but I am not sure.

- does the NCAA handle throw ins in the backcourt?

Also, I know that they are using some old mechanics (wrong signal for player control etc). How does a new official tell the old guard that they have their heads up their ***?

Please let me know what you think.

Thanks
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 01:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Lotto
Quote:
Originally posted by hab_in_exile

- does the NCAA handle throw ins in the backcourt?
Yes. All throw-ins are handled by an official.

Quote:

Also, I know that they are using some old mechanics (wrong signal for player control etc).
The mechanic for a team control foul (new this year---all fouls by a player on offense are treated like the old player control foul, with no free throws even if in the bonus) differs between the men and the women. The men's mechanic is the old player control signal (hand behind neck). The women's mechanic is new this year---a closed fist punch.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 03:07pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to ChuckElias
I thought that even FIBA handled all throw-ins now. I know that in international play, the player used to be able to just pick up the ball and inbound it after an OOB. The only reason I know that is b/c Larry Bird tried it in the NBA one time after the "Dream Team" went to the Olympics But I thought that FIBA changed that rule a while ago.

Was it ever changed? Or am I imagining things again?

Chuck
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 08:12pm
Official Forum Member

Yes, Chuck, all throw-ins are handled by an official in FIBA.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 09:34pm
Official Forum Member

Not so fast,

There are some provinces in Canada using modified NCAA rules and 2-person mechanics, with no handle in the backcourt. Some provinces are even using NFHS rules (Ontario being one of them I think).

Leagues that use 3-person NCAA crews (university and junior college men) are using the mens rules, with related signals and mechanics. Junior college women still use only 2 officials, and just switched to NCAA this season. Last season, I did a college womens game under FIBA rules, and there was NO HANDLE in the backcourt. Not sure if that rule's been changed or not.
Old Mon Feb 10, 2003, 10:59pm
Administrator

All throw-ins in the backcourt are handled by the trail official in FIBA rules. The change was made after the 1980 Olympics if my memory is correct.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 10:28am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Canuck Ref Guy.

A few Canadian Provinces use Modified mecahnics rules in regards to NCAA.

i.e

Use FIBA 2 Man mechanics but NCAA rules.

Check with your assignor/Interpretor to determine if any rules have been modified. We do not handle in the backcourt on violations as an example.

By definition of the rule book you are probably right but ned to see if there are any regional differences.

Old Tue Feb 11, 2003, 04:58pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by canuckrefguy
Not so fast,

There are some provinces in Canada using modified NCAA rules and 2-person mechanics, with no handle in the backcourt. Some provinces are even using NFHS rules (Ontario being one of them I think).

Leagues that use 3-person NCAA crews (university and junior college men) are using the mens rules, with related signals and mechanics. Junior college women still use only 2 officials, and just switched to NCAA this season. Last season, I did a college womens game under FIBA rules, and there was NO HANDLE in the backcourt. Not sure if that rule's been changed or not.

Canuckrefguy, was your response pertaining to me?

All I said is that FIBA officials handle all throw-ins. I stand by that statement. I did not say that all Canadian officials do this. I realize that many provinces use different sets of rules

My province (New Brunswick)uses FIBA rules with modifications. There are more exceptions than you can shake a stick at.

Keep in mind that if you officiating purely FIBA rules, officials handle all throw-ins. If a Women's College league wants to modify that, then that is their prerogative.

Peace, Jay