The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Aug 11, 2013, 05:01pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is clear that you are trying to spew some wisdom to something that really does not need that much conversation.
Rut, you have been known to “spew” every now and then yourself*…*but this is one of the best things you have ever said.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 02:55am
In Time Out

just want to add a quick two cents even though this topic been talked about enough

I went to this early training ref session and there were a few really good basketball players trying to be refs. Two of the three were just awful. One was good. A few other people who hardly played ball at all were great. If you've played higher level basketball it helps but it can be a hindrance as well. But what it comes down to is being able to control the game, knowing the rules and when and when to or not call fouls and so far I've seen NOTHING that points to the conclusion that experienced basketball players make better referees.
I still play a lot of ball but I've met too many good basketball players who think they can ref just because they know how to play. They tend to let too many calls go- "let them play attitude"
The inexperienced players trying to be refs may have bad game management, calling minor falls that they should let go. The lack of playing there may hurt them. For anyone out there thinking about being a basketball ref, don't think you had to be a player to be a good ref. Under what makes a good ref, put "basketball player" way down on your list.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 04:04am
Official Forum Member

Well this is interesting and all but look at it bottom up.

I was told I was a lousy player.

I was also told I was a lousy official.

By the same coach.

The difference: When he called me a lousy official, his opponent got two and the ball.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 04:09am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Quote:
Originally Posted by amusedofficial View Post
I was told I was a lousy player.

I was also told I was a lousy official.

By the same coach.
At least he's consistent when evaluating your talents. (sarc)
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

From a coach's perspective - everyone has to know their role. Players play, coaches coach, and officials officiate. But everyone needs a little help every now again so that's why as coaches we think we can do everyone's job better.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 12:27pm
Archaic Power Monger

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityballer View Post
From a coach's perspective - everyone has to know their role. Players play, coaches coach, and officials officiate. But everyone needs a little help every now again so that's why as coaches we think we can do everyone's job better.
And sometimes we as officials just need to help you find where your seat is.

Welcome to the forum, even though you've been here for a while judging by the join date.
Old Mon Aug 26, 2013, 04:24pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Fanatics ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcityballer View Post
Players play, coaches coach, officials officiate ...
... and fans fan.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)