The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Referee never played the game

I know there are a few referees out there that never played organized basketball.

Did you play? I did. I played 4 years of High school ball, 4 or 5 years of rec ball, owned a team, then went into coaching for 11 years.

Now here's my point. I worked with an official the other day that never played organized ball and it shows. I "T"ed up the visitor coach early in the 4th quarter. After the game, I said to my partner "he wanted that "T"" He said, "are you crazy, why would he want the "T"?" I tried to explain to him that he wanted to fire up his team, to show them that he want doing everything he could for them to win the game and they had to do their part. My partner disagreed. He said, if I were to go up and ask the coach if he had wanted the "T" or not the coach would have said, "NO"

Here's the post that refers to the "T"

http://forum.officiating.com/showpos...2&postcount=26

So, back to my point, if you didn't play the game, can you understand it the way an official who did play it understands it?
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:26am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to rainmaker
I never played basketball, or any other sport organized or disorganized.

Women didn't play anything when I was in hs. In college, I didn't have any experience. But I still understand the concept of asking for a T. Can't believe some one's never heard of that.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrapins Fan
So, back to my point, if you didn't play the game, can you understand it the way an official who did play it understands it?
I'll preface all this by saying that I've played rec ball and intramural ball, and enjoy playing a game of pickup every now and again, but never played any high school (or even middle school) ball.

That being said, I think that coming in, having played a little bit of basketball helps you, if for no other reason than having some more intimate exposure to the game. As things progress, however, and certainly by the time one is refereeing JV or Varsity games, the fact that someone did or did not play organized basketball doesn't make any difference at all.

For example, why does it matter if the coach did or did not want the T? The fact of the matter is his actions dictated that he should get one, so he did. I think that one of the dangers of having played basketball is believing that you know what the team is or is not trying to accomplish by doing a certain thing. Where do I see this all the time? Fouling to stop the clock. Some officials, who get into the mindset of thinking "okay, this team is trying to foul" get quick on the whistle, and will call fouls before they happen IMO.

Coaches are coaches, players are players, and officials are officials. At one point or another, we all may have been one of the others, but come game time, we're each our own seperate entity. We should stick to the job we have, because only the coaches know why they do what they do (and sometimes, even that is debatable).

Just my 2 cent.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:44am
Official Forum Member

I have found that beginning officials who have played the game seem to figure out what not to call quicker than those who never played.

However, I have known a few fantastic veteran officials who never played the game other than on the playground.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:45am
Official Forum Member

I don't think it makes a tremendous difference. I began working baseball and football over the past few years. I gave up playing both long ago, but it doesn't seem to have an effect as an official. I think there are cases where officials that didn't play the game lack some understanding, but on the other hand, I've worked with officials that were players and coaches that still looked at the game through the eyes of a player or coach. This can be as much a problem or more.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 11:58am
In Memoriam

Lightbulb

Quote:
Oversimplified.
Factor in :
Non-playing - interest, knowledge, effort, experience, mentors' and partners' (interest, knowledge, effort, experience).
Playing - interest, knowledge, effort, experience, coaches' and teammates' (interest, knowledge, effort, experience).
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:12pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

I think the people that played the game have an easier time when they start out and are better at first. I think officials that did not play have to learn a lot of the ins and outs of the game and have a harder time overcoming that. It does not mean these are automatic. I think officials that did not play the game for years do struggle. All my sports I officiate I played at the varsity level. It was at least clear to me that I understood things about the game that other officials that did not play seemed to not understand. There are always exceptions and this is certainly not an absolute, but this is the reason I have not taken up other sports.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:20pm
Official Forum Member

I think its important to have played organized and competitive ball, but it doesn't matter much what level you played at. There are size and speed issues that lead to college opportunities, yet, these same skills are not the sole determination of who can officiate.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:29pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge
... but this is the reason I have not taken up other sports.

Peace
Rut,
Same here.

I just got an ugly vision of you and me working a volleyball game.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

I will say this, the money sounds really good and easy.

Peace
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:56pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mick
Rut,
Same here.

I just got an ugly vision of you and me working a volleyball game.
I would pay money to see that happen.

I have been asked to officiate other sports, but personally I don't feel comfortable working a sport that I did not play. I grew up playing baseball and basketball, so it just seems easier to understand the rules if you understand the game.

The only rule I know for sure in volleyball is you can't reach under the net and pull down your opponent's shorts if they are going up for a spike. So, I'm assuming I still have a little way to go in understanding that sport...

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 12:58pm
Official Forum Member

Depends on the player that played before.

The role player, the student of the game, they do well out of the gate.

From my experience, the players who were the stars or scorers, make terrible officials...they call the game the way they wanted it called as a player, every call is a block, a PC foul is never a possibility, reaching in and over the back are a big part of their vocabulary and they might even have a signal for them too.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:00pm
In Memoriam

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
I would pay money to see that happen.

I have been asked to officiate other sports, but personally I don't feel comfortable working a sport that I did not play. I grew up playing baseball and basketball, so it just seems easier to understand the rules if you understand the game.

The only rule I know for sure in volleyball is you can't reach under the net and pull down your opponent's shorts if they are going up for a spike. So, I'm assuming I still have a little way to go in understanding that sport...
I heard the back row attack is/was illegal at some point.
...Whatever that means.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:03pm
Official Forum Member

Tell him to rent Hoosiers and watch the part where Hackman asks for the T.
Old Thu Feb 22, 2007, 01:04pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
What??? Well there goes my strategy for the annual staff vs. student volleyball game this spring!!