The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack (1) Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
  1 links from elsewhere to this Post. Click to view. #1 (permalink)  
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:24pm
Working Mom Referee

You call yourself a Referee, but You never played varsity hoop?

I played HS varsity and small college hoop. This gives me insight on what players go through during a game, for example I can see how they get annoyed by pesky defenders which causes them to commit violations, how they experience stress of waning time and being down by 1 or 2 pts and the urgency that envelopes them, and also I know how they feign fouls--like initiating contact on drives when defender has LGP and they are looking to exploit the "gray areas" of the call. (i.e., 'flopping'). Also, there are just some aspects of hoop that I cannot verbalize but I can sense during a game--simply because I've been in the same situation that the players have been in. I know that my hoop playing experience gives me unique insight and I use it in the execution of my officiating practice. I don't mean to sound erudite, but officials who have not played competitive hoop are more prone to be duped by players who are prone to deceptive feigning.
I'm sorry to say this and will likey recieve feedback from the posters here. Yet, it also begs the question: can a coach who has never played varsity actually be an excellent varsity level coach? Can a ref who has never played in the nba be a good nba ref? But that is not really the point here.
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:27pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
Yet, it also begs the question: can a coach who has never played varsity actually be an excellent varsity level coach? Can a ref who has never played in the nba be a good nba ref? But that is not really the point here.
Huge disparity here. How many high school coaches didn't play high school ball? Very few, I imagine. How many NBA refs didn't play in the NBA? Practically all of them.

Lonesome Dove
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 11:47pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
can a coach who has never played varsity actually be an excellent varsity level coach? Can a ref who has never played in the nba be a good nba ref? But that is not really the point here.
Many wreck league players are former HS players. Does that make them capable referees?

As long as we are asking hypothetical questions, can a former player pass a rules or mechanics test?

No doubt, being a former player gives one perspective as a referee, but most everyone in the gym (fans and players included) have played the game at some point. It is not the top credential for a referee by any means.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:17am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
I played HS varsity and small college hoop. This gives me insight on what players go through during a game, for example I can see how they get annoyed by pesky defenders which causes them to commit violations, how they experience stress of waning time and being down by 1 or 2 pts and the urgency that envelopes them, and also I know how they feign fouls--like initiating contact on drives when defender has LGP and they are looking to exploit the "gray areas" of the call. (i.e., 'flopping'). Also, there are just some aspects of hoop that I cannot verbalize but I can sense during a game--simply because I've been in the same situation that the players have been in. I know that my hoop playing experience gives me unique insight and I use it in the execution of my officiating practice. I don't mean to sound erudite, but officials who have not played competitive hoop are more prone to be duped by players who are prone to deceptive feigning.
I'm sorry to say this and will likey recieve feedback from the posters here. Yet, it also begs the question: can a coach who has never played varsity actually be an excellent varsity level coach? Can a ref who has never played in the nba be a good nba ref? But that is not really the point here.
You are entitled to have any opinion that you want to have, no matter how ludicrous it might be.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:34am
Keeper of the HAMMER

New refs always have misconceptions to shed, such as giving too much advantage against pesky but legal defenders.

The higher level the newer official played, the harder those misconceptions are to shed.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 12:45am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
You are entitled to have any opinion that you want to have, no matter how ludicrous it might be.
And to be a poor writer, even when trying to use big words to make yourself sound intelligent. (I am not talking about you, Rich)

I never played past 7th grade and I like to think I'm pretty capable on the court.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 01:27am
Official Forum Member

I don't think they have anything to do with each other. Experience is the key factor...if you're seeing plays over and over...you're more prone to not to get fooled by the player. Now does playing experience help with the learning curve? It can. But I also don't think, for example, Leon Wood's ( current NBA official) former experience as an NBA player somehow gives him an upper hand on Joe Crawford.

Everything you've alluded to can be learned by experience aka seeing plays (and something that experience comes the hard way) and if you're fortunate enough, through watching film.
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 08:04am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
But that is not really the point here.
What is the point, man?
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:20am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
Huge disparity here. How many high school coaches didn't play high school ball? Very few, I imagine. How many NBA refs didn't play in the NBA? Practically all of them.

Just one: Leon Wood (#40 in your program).

MTD, Sr.
Ohio Assn. of Basketball Officials
International Assn. of Approved Bkb. Officials
Ohio High School Athletic Association
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:20am
certified Hot Mom tester

According to Travelling Man's logic, airplane pilots should be selected based on how many times they've been a passenger.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:25am
Administrator

Quote:

1) You need to get a proof reader who will help you break your posts into readable paragraphs.

2) Your posts always read like a "fanboy's" posts.

3) Come on, you are a fellow Jayhawker, unless you are a dreaded K-Stater, .

4) Much to the consternation of officials who only officiate soccer and no other sport, any competent H.S. basketball official can become a competent H.S. soccer officials in four to six weeks. Which nullifies your premise. Officiating soccer is easier than officiating basketball.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:48am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark T. DeNucci, Sr. View Post
Just one: Leon Wood (#40 in your program).

MTD, Sr.
Is Haywood Workman still on the NBA staff?
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 09:58am
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Is Haywood Workman still on the NBA staff?

, me bad! Yes he is, #66 in your program; this was his fifth year in the NBA. And lets not forget the retired Bernie Fryer.

MTD, Sr.
Toledo, Ohio
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 10:03am
Archaic Power Monger

"You call yourself a Referee, but You never played varsity hoop?"

No, I don't call myself a referee, I am a referee (or more technically, an official).

Having never really played competitive basketball, it was a higher learning curve in some aspects to learn the game. One nice thing is that I had few misconceptions about the rules and got to build the foundation from an official's perspective.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 10:22am
MABO Member

If one has the opportunity to play competetive ball and then takes up officiating then I can see the point that Travelling Man is making.

IMO, all that playing experience does is reduces the amount of time or the steepness of the learning curve.

Anyone can become a very competent official given enough time.

All references/comments are intended for educational purposes. Opinions are free.