Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 04:13pm
Working Mom Referee

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
If I get my interpreter to approve this article, and I'm pretty sure that he will, I guarantee you that, as the law of the land, these false statements will be banished, and that we won't be hearing these statements from all but just a few officials here in my little corner of Connecticut. I can see this being presented to new officials every year, so that they don't form any bad habits, as some of us old-timers have, unfortunately, already done.
*But getting back to the point here: BillyMacs I hope your approval goes through because it would truly help to start banishing some of the misconceptions that inhere.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:14pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Better Than "Don't Move" ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Most players have no idea what you mean when you say "Designated spot" or what that means they can or cannot do. So saying that and expecting them to know is silly to me. Sorry, but that is beyond silly. Now I say to a player that can move around the end line, "You can run the endline" as that is how they know move along the end line and usually how they ask a question about their ability to do so. Saying "Anywhere along the line" is silly to me when we are trying to communicate to them.
Another thread:

Quote:
Maybe it's overkill, but our local interpreter has instructed us to indicate, "That's your spot", accompanied by pointing to the spot, or, "You can move" (Option: "You've got the whole line"), accompanied by a sweeping motion of the arm while pointing, on all backcourt endline throwins, and only backcourt endline throwins. Some will criticize that it's excess verbiage, and signalage, and not necessary, that the kids should already know this, but at least the statements agree with the actual rules. I believe that IAABO mechanics also require this, but I may be mistaken.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
NFHS Officials Manual, 2.2 PUTTING THE BALL IN PLAY 2.2.2 C End Line 5. states ; "When the clock is stopped, use the proper verbal and visual signal to indicate whether a spot throw-in or running the end line privileges are in effect." - Signal 26 = Spot Throw-in, Signal 23 = Run End Line.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:44pm
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
The coach kept saying, "But he can't move". My partner tried, and I tried, to explain the movement limitations on a designated spot throwin, but he wouldn't accept any of that, he just kept saying, "But he can't move". Eventually, I had to tell him to, "Sit down".
Just think, if you would have teed him up, you could have told him to "Sit down" and also "Now you can't move".
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:45pm
Working Mom Referee

I wonder where the notion of admonishing players to "stay behind the half ct line during tech shots" originated? Must've had a logical origin--maybe to prevent aggressive behavior between opponents or shooter and the player that fouled.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:56pm
Do not give a damn!!

Billy,

Keep in mind "Don't move" is not used to tell them the rule much of the time. That is so they do not follow you around away from their spot too. There are times when we bounce the ball to them and they go to another spot then where the violation or foul took place.

And once again, I really could give a damn about what the NF book says. We do not use it and it has nothing to do with a lot of basic things we do as officials. There are so many situations that book never covers and even when my state used it, the book was useless in so many situations. And even by things you have said here, your state does what they want as it relates to IAABO standards. I am glad you referenced the Manual, but not the end all be all of what we do.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 08:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I do it, but I find this to be, for the most part, useless.
I have found it to be extremely helpful. The coaches are much quicker about getting their players out of the huddle. We're in the huddle after the first horn, and I have to resort to RPP about once every two seasons at most in high school games. Younger levels are different
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 08:03pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

The only thing I'm going to add to this list is: Anything during free throws except the number of shots left to take.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 06:24am
Esteemed Forum Member

The Sound of Silence (Simon & Garfunkel) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
The only thing I'm going to add to this list is: Anything during free throws except the number of shots left to take.
I will say, "Let it hit", to Catholic middle school players, early in the game, during the early part of the season.

Also, here, in my little corner of Connecticut, private prep schools use hybrid rules, combining NFHS, and NCAA, rules. Occasionally a private prep school will play a public school, or a private prep school from another state. In the early part of these games, I will often say "On the release", as much of a reminder to the players as to my partner, and myself. Other than that, I agree with you.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 05:23pm.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Can I Keep Him, He Followed Me All The Way Home From School ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
That is so they do not follow you around away from their spot too. There are times when we bounce the ball to them and they go to another spot then where the violation or foul took place.
I hate it when that happens, usually on sideline throwins, in the front court, below the free throw line extended, when the lead (two person game) has to make a long bounce to the inbounder.

Last edited by BillyMac; Thu Aug 01, 2013 at 05:21pm.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 06:32am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Sharpshooternes: It seems that you forgot one important step, sounding your whistle.
Forgot to type this step in my post. Did not forget to do it at the time of the incident.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
I hate it when that happens, usually on sideline throwins, in the front court, below the free throw line extended, when the lead has to make a long bounce to the inbounder.
That is why I say "I'll bounce it to you there" then step away if I'm not already away. Much more appropriate than "don't move".
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 01:04pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That is why I say "I'll bounce it to you there" then step away if I'm not already away. Much more appropriate than "don't move".
Eitehr way it goes, I am still saying, "Don't move." I think it makes little difference and nothing I have heard changes my mind or seems relevent to what a player thinks they can or cannot do.

Peace
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 04:19pm
Get away from me, Steve.

We've also taken to tweeting our whistles as we come in on the first horn. Picked this up from some NCAA Men's officials and it's worked well for us. Easy for them to ignore the horn, but the whistle grabs attention.

I didn't put a ball on the floor once last season in over 60 games.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 04:25pm
AremRed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
NFHS Officials Manual, 2.2 PUTTING THE BALL IN PLAY 2.2.2 C End Line 5. states ; "When the clock is stopped, use the proper verbal and visual signal to indicate whether a spot throw-in or running the end line privileges are in effect." - Signal 26 = Spot Throw-in, Signal 23 = Run End Line.
I say "SPOT THROW" while pointing to the spot (Signal 26). I say "YOU HAVE BASELINE/ENDLINE" while motioning back and forth (Signal 23).

Quote:
The recent thread on rules regarding the jump ball to start the game has given me an idea for an article for our local board's newsletter. The working title is, "Things Officials Should Probably Not Be Saying In A Game".

I want concentrate on things that officials often, or sometimes, say during a game that do not have any basis in the rules.
Perhaps include a section including "mechanics officials should probably not being doing during a game".

Like my signal letting my partners know which teams are in the single/double bonus. Or doing whatever this guy is doing.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 04:38pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I would have a violation every single game if I did not make it clear they could not leave on the release.

Peace
Closed Thread