Originally Posted by just another ref View Post
I hear the thread lock rattling.
Approximately 140 posts too late.
Old Sun Aug 04, 2013, 11:18pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Have Fun, Let's Play Ball ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That's for your pregame captain's meeting.
Not mine: Players properly equipped, Players wearing uniforms properly, Practice good sportsmanship.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Sun Aug 04, 2013, 11:55pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
That is not what we're discussing. We're saying that telling a player not to move is just as likely to perpetuate the rule myth as an official who calls traveling on a throw in. It's not a direct relationship between #1 and #3 above. It's a coach who has heard #1, maybe back when he was a player, and then believes it to his core (like a player or coach believing they get 2 steps without a travel).
Then you are missing my point all together. Because I do not believe that what we say quickly defines or perpetuates anything. It is that simple. And trying to suggest otherwise is not really listening to what I feel about this topic. If you feel differently then so be it, but not my point of view and nothing you are going to say is going to change that feeling based off of my extensive experience with this or other issues in the rules. I have been doing this for some times and I feel most of the time players and coaches could give a damn what we say, especially when they argue when we tell them actual rules in other situations. I have given coaches T's much more over things where actual rules were explained in rather detail then two words that no one but one or two people may or may not hear.

IN MY OPINION is not my responsibility to teach a coach something that they could read in the rulebook. Maybe this does not happen in your state, but they give coaches rulebooks and casebooks at the state level (or at least they once did). So any issue they can read for themselves and find out what is actually listed. But if they actually pick one up and read it is another story. It is a running joke in our state that with Rules Meetings (now on video) that used to be attended in person and required for all schools to have a representative watch the meeting and the content discussed. It is well known that the school would send a low-level coach (often said the Freshman B coach) to those meetings or to watch the video and the varsity coaches would have no idea what was actually discussed or the content of the material even mentioned. So when POEs about slapping the back board were emphasized some years back as an example, coaches would want a T for slapping the backboard no matter how legitimate a block attempt was or would complain that we should call a GT for the slapping of the backboard as well. And that would be the first week of the season when a coach would go off about a rule that not only was discussed, but discussed much of the meeting and the rule discussed in detail. So now all of a sudden two words means so much that they not assume something based off of those words, but cannot comprehend a rule that was gone on in detail. My state has said over and over and over again that "Two hands on the ball handler is a foul." But the minute you call that handcheck, you get an argument. STOP GIVING THESE COACHES THAT MUCH CREDIT!!! I also say somethings on the first of multiple FTs "Relax guys on the first one." I will never forget someone tried to tell me that "You should not tell them that, coaches do not want them to relax." Well I have yet in all my years to have a single coach get upset with me about me saying that to convey the message that the ball is not live. And I have said in on purpose waiting for that time to come, I am still waiting. I guess I will be waiting for a coach to get upset if I happened to say, "Don't move."

Peace
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 01:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I'm as old as dirt, officiating thirty-two years, and I don't remember that mechanic.
You youngsters - what are we gonna do with you?
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 06:09am
Esteemed Forum Member

Still Crazy After All These Years (Paul Simon) ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
I guess I will be waiting for a coach to get upset if I happened to say, "Don't move."
And while you're waiting for that to happen, I'll still be waiting for you to respond to my questions:

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
JRutledge: What does the IHSA say? How about your own "Chicagoland" mechanics? I know that you guys use your own mechanics. Go anything in writing?
They probably don't tell you what not to say, doesn't matter, although I'm pretty sure that if they did tell you what not to say, it wouldn't be not to say, "Designated spot". I'm more interested in what they, like the NFHS, and IAABO (realizing that you have your own set of mechanics independent of either), suggest what Illinois, or Chicagoland, officials should say during a designated spot throwin. There have to be some type of written mechanics guidelines. What do these say in regard to administering designated spot throwins?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Mon Aug 05, 2013 at 06:18am.
Old Mon Aug 05, 2013, 08:23am
Keeper of the HAMMER

I'm reminded of the time a friend of mine tried showing me Amway, and his grandson, unable to contain his excitement in the middle of the presentation, exclaimed,

"Show him the circles, Grandpa!"

This is just going in circles now. It's run its course.