The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 02:00pm
certified Hot Mom tester

NBA game with two officials

Last night's Portland - New Orleans game was played with two officials, Gary Zielinski and Sean Corbin. The third official, Jack Nies, suffered an undisclosed injury prior to the game and was unable to work. The league could not get a third official there in time. Darn - and I was available, too.

I watched some of the game on TV and they did a very credible job, from what I could tell. It was fun seeing the lead official run from side to side on the baseline. Of course, the jerk announcer, Mike Rice, put them down a few times, and also of course, the replays showed they were correct.

Ah - the memories of when Earl Strom and Jake O'Donnell would work an entire finals playoff series by themselves. Those were the good old days.

OK - working with Dr. Naismith was really the good old days.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 03:06pm
We don't rent pigs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
Last night's Portland - New Orleans game was played with two officials, Gary Zielinski and Sean Corbin. The third official, Jack Nies, suffered an undisclosed injury prior to the game and was unable to work. The league could not get a third official there in time. Darn - and I was available, too.
They were afraid you'd be distracted by dreams of Bart Simpson.

Lonesome Dove
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 04:37pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via Skype™ to shishstripes
When I lived in the Portland area I went to a Portland-Minnesota game and midway through the 2nd quarter one of the officials ran off the court (ended up he was ill). Watching NBA officials work 2-man is certainly an experience. The L was often clear over near the T's sideline.
Old Sat Jan 03, 2009, 08:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post

I watched some of the game on TV and they did a very credible job, from what I could tell. It was fun seeing the lead official run from side to side on the baseline. Of course, the jerk announcer, Mike Rice, put them down a few times, and also of course, the replays showed they were correct.

Ah - the memories of when Earl Strom and Jake O'Donnell would work an entire finals playoff series by themselves. Those were the good old days.

OK - working with Dr. Naismith was really the good old days.
Watching a game like that was most likely a great clinic in 2 person/strong side officiating...

I like working with Gary....