The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 09:58am
Official Forum Member

Officials in the IU/W. ILL game

One of the officials (while center) during free throws would position himself inside the three point line half way between the endline and the free throw line (odd). The other two guys stood about even with the three point line and half way between the free throw line and the top of the key. This guy is doing big ten games I'm sure he has a reason for being where he is. Does anyone else do this, and if so, what advantage do you gain by this location?
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:02am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by j51969
One of the officials (while center) during free throws would position himself inside the three point line half way between the endline and the free throw line (odd). The other two guys stood about even with the three point line and half way between the free throw line and the top of the key. This guy is doing big ten games I'm sure he has a reason for being where he is. Does anyone else do this, and if so, what advantage do you gain by this location?
I've never seen this. But since the first thing you do as C after the throw goes up is to step down to better see the rebounding action, perhaps he's just saving steps and starting down there. If that's the case, it makes some sense. Why not put the C down there and bring the T down to watch the line? It's not like the T is doing anything other than hiding from the coaches at the half line.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:05am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
It's not like the T is doing anything other than hiding from the coaches at the half line.
If he's doing this on the last FT or either FT on a 1&1 then he's doing it wrong.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:13am
Official Forum Member

I also noticed that, it was either this game or the Duke Holly Cross game I was flipping back and fourth and cant remeber now, Anyway, one of the officials was doing a visable count for the 10 second count on a free throw.

Is it different in the colledge ranks that they do this? I dont work those levels im just starting to work high school but, it was just something I noticed.
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_ref
If he's doing this on the last FT or either FT on a 1&1 then he's doing it wrong.
True. Although that does not negate my point. Why not put the C down there, bring the T in closer, and give him something to do during each free throw?
Official Forum Member

He did it on all free throws
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:25am
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter
I also noticed that, it was either this game or the Duke Holly Cross game I was flipping back and fourth and cant remeber now, Anyway, one of the officials was doing a visable count for the 10 second count on a free throw.

Is it different in the colledge ranks that they do this? I dont work those levels im just starting to work high school but, it was just something I noticed.
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who does this. Since it's in the mechanics, I'll keep it up until I'm told by my assigner to stop.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:32am
Courageous When Prudent

Maybe he was trying to relieve his boredom:

Western Illinois 21 19 40

Indiana 41 51 92
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back In The Saddle
True. Although that does not negate my point. Why not put the C down there, bring the T in closer, and give him something to do during each free throw?
Who watches the players along the lane? If the C is where it was described, how can they watch the players along the opposite side of the lane for violations, cheap elbow fouls, etc.? I believe the current Fed. mechanics, and NCAA-W, for that matter, is to have the C step onto the court from the sideline about 6 feet, and up almost even with the top of the key. That gives them the good look across the paint and at the shooter.

This way, the L should watch the opposite side of the lane from them, the C should watch the shooter and the other side, and the T gets all the other players that aren't on the lane. As j51969 posted, it sounds like the C was way too far down.

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 10:59am
Jerry Blum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snaqwells
Sometimes I think I'm the only one who does this. Since it's in the mechanics, I'll keep it up until I'm told by my assigner to stop.

Are you talking about the visible 10 sec count? If so I agree it is supposed to be done. At least in High School. I do it every time. And like Snaqwells said I will keep doing it until I'm told differently or they change the rules.

By the way my visible count is me opening and closing my outside hand down by my side.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:05am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcarter

It's supposed to be visible (just a "hand flick" or "opn and close the hand") in FED and NCAAM, not visible in NCAAW.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:11am
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Who watches the players along the lane? If the C is where it was described, how can they watch the players along the opposite side of the lane for violations, cheap elbow fouls, etc.? I believe the current Fed. mechanics, and NCAA-W, for that matter, is to have the C step onto the court from the sideline about 6 feet, and up almost even with the top of the key. That gives them the good look across the paint and at the shooter.

This way, the L should watch the opposite side of the lane from them, the C should watch the shooter and the other side, and the T gets all the other players that aren't on the lane. As j51969 posted, it sounds like the C was way too far down.
JIm, we don't watch opposite sides in NCAA-W anymore...L is in close-down on last shot and watches strong-side rebounding and C has weak-side rebounding, so the old watch across isn't really applicable anymore...
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:20am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad
JIm, we don't watch opposite sides in NCAA-W anymore...L is in close-down on last shot and watches strong-side rebounding and C has weak-side rebounding, so the old watch across isn't really applicable anymore...
Uh oh.

When did that change? (Please say this year...) When I was at one camp this past summer, I saw a clinician rip a camper for not watching across the lane and missing an obvious violation. Now I purposely left off watching the top player on your side as C, etc., but I was just trying to point out where the C was described is not really a good spot to be.

I do agree once the shot is released, primaries change. Is that what you meant?

(Used with permission.)
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 11:43am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by M&M Guy
Uh oh.

When did that change? (Please say this year...)
I don't have my CCA manual, but I believe that applies to NCAA-M also. 'C' watches free-thrower and players on his side of the lane, 'L' watches players on his side.

Even though in my Men's JuCo game Saturday I (as 'C') called a lane violation on A2 on the opposite side of the lane from me. The observer didn't say anything to me after the game.
Old Thu Dec 07, 2006, 02:26pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef
I don't have my CCA manual, but I believe that applies to NCAA-M also. 'C' watches free-thrower and players on his side of the lane, 'L' watches players on his side.

Even though in my Men's JuCo game Saturday I (as 'C') called a lane violation on A2 on the opposite side of the lane from me. The observer didn't say anything to me after the game.
This is correct. The Men's mechanic is watch the players on the lane closest to you. I recently read it in the CCA manual.