The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 05:19pm
Working Mom Referee

"Judgment calls" are what we do...

Various rules-making organizations have earnestly endeavored to establish "rules" for basketball play; furthermore, these organizations regularly convened committees and training programs to--dare I say--establish "interpretations" for such rules. We all appreciate and benefit enormously from our "rule books" as they establish validity, reproducibility, and credibility to our officiating profession. Yet, a rule book cannot possibly predict nor legislate all possible scenarios that occur within a competitive hoops game; therefore, we must use our judgment.
For example, when coaches compel their players to "play hard/tough" and their actions/style of play then influences the opposition to "play hard/tough"---which in turn causes officials to use their interpretation and "allow" such a style of aggressive of play because we don't want whistly "ticky tack" fouls.
As an example, last night I reffed a game where the coaches were encouraging a style of aggressive play--like hard defensive hedges on screens, strongly pursuing 50/50 balls, and the such. So, we must use our judgement to enable the "game to be played" instead of whistling every little tap or touch--within the confines of fair play. In short, we must use our judgement.
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 06:00pm
Do not give a damn!!

OK. Is this a question or a statement?

Peace
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 07:01pm
Official Forum Member

um...amen?
Old Sun Jul 28, 2013, 11:25pm
This IS My Social Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
Various rules-making organizations have earnestly endeavored to establish "rules" for basketball play; furthermore, these organizations regularly convened committees and training programs to--dare I say--establish "interpretations" for such rules. We all appreciate and benefit enormously from our "rule books" as they establish validity, reproducibility, and credibility to our officiating profession. Yet, a rule book cannot possibly predict nor legislate all possible scenarios that occur within a competitive hoops game; therefore, we must use our judgment.
For example, when coaches compel their players to "play hard/tough" and their actions/style of play then influences the opposition to "play hard/tough"---which in turn causes officials to use their interpretation and "allow" such a style of aggressive of play because we don't want whistly "ticky tack" fouls.
As an example, last night I reffed a game where the coaches were encouraging a style of aggressive play--like hard defensive hedges on screens, strongly pursuing 50/50 balls, and the such. So, we must use our judgement to enable the "game to be played" instead of whistling every little tap or touch--within the confines of fair play. In short, we must use our judgement.
Seems like you invest time putting your post-game thoughts into words. That is an admirable practice. If your purpose for posting it here is to validate those thoughts, I hereby validate those you've expressed as it fit the circumstances that confronted your crew that night.
I, for one, don't mind considering a post like you submitted here, if that's the intended purpose. I suspect lots of stuff that goes into my post-game journal should really be run past someone else, just to make sure I'm on the right track, and so that if I'm on the wrong track, I can redirect my attitude and actions in upcoming games.
Seems that's what this poster was doing, right?
Thanx for sharing.

Last edited by Freddy; Sun Jul 28, 2013 at 11:28pm.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 07:51am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freddy View Post
Seems that's what this poster was doing, right?
Thanx for sharing.
I find it difficult to tell what she was doing, given the language (composition, vocabulary, structure) used.

Last edited by bob jenkins; Mon Jul 29, 2013 at 08:28am.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 08:01am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob jenkins View Post
I find it difficult to tell what he was doing, given the language (composition, vocabulary, structure) used.
I thought "he" is a "she".
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 08:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
fixed. thanks.
Old Mon Jul 29, 2013, 04:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Your Guess Is As Good As Mine ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
Travelling Man = Working Mom Referee
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Tue Jul 30, 2013, 09:47pm
Working Mom Referee

Seems like I need to post a picture of me---so as to remedy confusion--lol.
My screen name = "Travelling Man" because that is what I told a coach who expressed displeasure at a 'travelling violation' I called on his player. His player was unexpectedly double-teamed when he recv'd the inbound pass after a carefully designed play subsequent to a timeout coach called. A1 recv'd the inbound pass, then shuffled his feet--it was a close game (1 pt difference) with 15 secongs left. The coach said "what you called that travelling?!". I replied, "travelling man!" Hence my screen name.
It was the right call obfiously.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 05:38am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
Seems like I need to post a picture of me---so as to remedy confusion--lol.
My screen name = "Travelling Man" because that is what I told a coach who expressed displeasure at a 'travelling violation' I called on his player. His player was unexpectedly double-teamed when he recv'd the inbound pass after a carefully designed play subsequent to a timeout coach called. A1 recv'd the inbound pass, then shuffled his feet--it was a close game (1 pt difference) with 15 secongs left. The coach said "what you called that travelling?!". I replied, "travelling man!" Hence my screen name.
It was the right call obfiously.
Since you are so much into words such as sudoriferous and antidisestablishmentarianism, I think the correct punctuation would be "Travelling, Man." You really need a comma. "Travelling man." means 'that male person of society likes to travel, almost as an occupation.' Whereas, "Travelling, Man" means 'hey dude, that was really a travel and I am right and you are wrong.' A comma is exorbitantly needed in this sentence to avoid a plethora of confusion and perhaps a conundrum.

Last edited by Sharpshooternes; Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 05:42am.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:16am
Esteemed Forum Member

Cheerio, Pip Pip, And All That Rot ...

Quote:
Travelling Man.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
I think the correct punctuation would be "Travelling, Man".
My spell check keeps flagging this and wants to change it to "Traveling Man". Travelling Man must be a British-Kansan.

Ricky Nelson wants to spell it another way:

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Jul 31, 2013 at 06:21am.
Old Wed Jul 31, 2013, 06:40pm
Working Mom Referee

@Billymacs: Yes, you are correct. I concede that the correct grammar is "Travelling, Man". You are right; I am wrong.
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 05:56am
Esteemed Forum Member

God Save The Queen ...

Quote:
I concede that the correct grammar is "Travelling, Man". You are right; I am wrong.
Watch your spelling, although it would be 100% correct in the United Kingdom.

Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 06:41am
C'mon man!!

Quote:
@Billymacs: Yes, you are correct. I concede that the correct grammar is "Travelling, Man". You are right; I am wrong.
Why is Billy Mac getting the credit?
Old Thu Aug 01, 2013, 08:32am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpshooternes View Post
Why is Billy Mac getting the credit?
Didn't you hear, they're related