The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:35pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
It's hard to describe in words, but he would let the ball fall out of his hands and usually the player had to go out of position to get it. It appeared to everyone to be extremely lazy and like he didn't want to even be there.

As far as the lead going down to the paint, he walked his way down there. Some plays he never got to the baseline. Again, laziness and didn't want to be there.

I'm looking to move up the ranks, do some varsity this year, state tourny by the time I turn 40, college ball (someday), etc. I understand it's summer ball, but as officials, don't we always want to put our best foot forward?

pfan
What BNR said, plus this:

If your partner is being lazy, don't fall into the trap. You don't have to rotate and switch like you do during the season, but you can make changes without appearing lazy. It's not that hard, frankly.

I'm not saying your partner appeared lazy, I'm just acknowledging it's possible. Of course, it's also possible you expect too much. Now, to quote some random dude I read on Facebook:

"I've found that when I get partners who are less than enthusiastic, it's a good chance for me to work on being the best partner I can be in adverse conditions; to lead by example.

Also, as long as the summer leagues are paying half (or less) than the schools pay during the season, you're going to increase the number of officials who a) are just less professional in general, or b) don't give the same effort as they do in February."

Whether you think it should be that way is irrelevant, it just is.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 03:01am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post

Also, as long as the summer leagues are paying half (or less) than the schools pay during the season, you're going to increase the number of officials who a) are just less professional in general, or b) don't give the same effort as they do in February.".
100% true and why I stopped doing summer leagues.
If we negotiate a fair price for our work with the schools, why would I want to go do that same job for half that amount so that some AAU organizer can pad his wallet? It is sad how people permit themselves to be taken advantage of without even knowing it. They are actually happy to be working six games a day at a tournament. What they don't realize is that it hurts all officials and if they would refuse to do more than three, then the event organizers would be forced to raise the fees in order to attract more people and each person could make the same amount by only working half as much. Silly monkeys!
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 10:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
if they would refuse to do more than three ,,,
Honestly, isn't this the limit you can take anyhow? My mind goes late in the third game and it's a challenge to finish sometimes.

I don't mind working summer ball for reasonably reduced rates. I'm typically there for 2 or 3 games, get a good run, see more plays, deal with some bs, work on a thing or two and cover my refreshments for the week. I don't feel taken advantage at all, as a matter of fact, I consider any time in the gym as well spent honing the skills.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:27am
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post
Honestly, isn't this the limit you can take anyhow? My mind goes late in the third game and it's a challenge to finish sometimes.

I don't mind working summer ball for reasonably reduced rates. I'm typically there for 2 or 3 games, get a good run, see more plays, deal with some bs, work on a thing or two and cover my refreshments for the week. I don't feel taken advantage at all, as a matter of fact, I consider any time in the gym as well spent honing the skills.
While someone else pockets the rest of the money...

I'll do it at a camp. I won't do it for $20/game.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 11:58am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
100% true and why I stopped doing summer leagues.
If we negotiate a fair price for our work with the schools, why would I want to go do that same job for half that amount so that some AAU organizer can pad his wallet? It is sad how people permit themselves to be taken advantage of without even knowing it. They are actually happy to be working six games a day at a tournament. What they don't realize is that it hurts all officials and if they would refuse to do more than three, then the event organizers would be forced to raise the fees in order to attract more people and each person could make the same amount by only working half as much. Silly monkeys!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLydic View Post

This is how I approach my AAU schedule. I work no more than 3 games in a day. I give availability only for tournaments where I want to work that level of play. I make it known that a major reason for my limited availability are the game fees.

Last edited by Raymond; Tue Jul 16, 2013 at 12:19pm.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:16pm
Get away from me, Steve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
This is how I approach my AAU schedule. I work no more than 3 games in a day. I give availability only for tournaments where I want to work that level of play. I make it known that a major reason my limited availability are the game fees.
I'm with you there. If I can work top-notch play (which means boys varsity equivalent or better), I'll do 2 or 3. But it's all gotta be on my terms. Time's way too precious in the summer.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 12:21pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rich View Post
I'm with you there. If I can work top-notch play (which means boys varsity equivalent or better), I'll do 2 or 3. But it's all gotta be on my terms. Time's way too precious in the summer.
I am only going to work 3 person and only if I can pick or know my partners...plain and simple.
Old Tue Jul 16, 2013, 02:41pm
Do not give a damn!!

Anything I work is to see plays more than anything. I prefer not to work AAU for the most part and I worked a National Invitational this past week simply to work on play calling. And we get paid more then $20 for sure. Not over $30 but it was worth it to do that rather than sit at home and not officiating for months. That being said this last tournament was done by an association I respect and treats me very well. When this tournament was run by others, I did not work it at all or very limited. And I get to work mostly with other quality officials which makes the experience much more fun to work.

Peace
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 08:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
I feel you should always officiate to the best of your abilities no matter the contest. Being somewhat new to officiating, I don't want an assignor to see me out of position or improperly officiating for future assignments. What do you think?
I do a ton of summer games. I agree 100%.

You never know who is watching.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 01:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by D-League View Post
I do a ton of summer games. I agree 100%.

You never know who is watching.
I agree. Some things are accepted in summer/rec, like not making long switches. But there is never an excuse for not hustling up the court in my opinion.
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:23pm
Working Mom Referee

Yes, I agree, one should always aim to practice proper hand signals, court rotations, and other such official distinctions. Even when I do 4th 5th grade club basketball ther is always someone in the stands with an IPad recording the games. Plus, you will tend to "degrade" your official signaling skills if you only use them during "higher level" reffing episodes.
I must admit tho, I do not like it when my partner does not rotate positions on calls--especially on shooting fouls---because it keeps me on the side in the coaches "reach". Really, sometimes I need a break of distance from those coaches constant bantering and such.
Am I alone or anyone else here agree?
Old Wed Jul 17, 2013, 03:34pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelling Man View Post
Yes, I agree, one should always aim to practice proper hand signals, court rotations, and other such official distinctions. Even when I do 4th 5th grade club basketball ther is always someone in the stands with an IPad recording the games. Plus, you will tend to "degrade" your official signaling skills if you only use them during "higher level" reffing episodes.
I must admit tho, I do not like it when my partner does not rotate positions on calls--especially on shooting fouls---because it keeps me on the side in the coaches "reach". Really, sometimes I need a break of distance from those coaches constant bantering and such.
Am I alone or anyone else here agree?
All the rec games I do are 2 man. And shooting fouls are always handled by the book (to do otherwise wouldn't make much sense). Calling official reports. Non-calling official administers. You don't always switch on shooting fouls.
You can always take advantage of the rule "the calling official has the option of going to Lead (opposite table) to avoid a confrontational situation with coach/bench".

Good point with the iPads and videos. If I'm an official, I'm less concerned with videos of bad calls. Any assignor knows that bad calls happen. But I don't want to be the subject of a video where I'm being lazy and miss a call because I couldn't be bothered to jog up the court.

Last edited by HokiePaul; Wed Jul 17, 2013 at 03:37pm.
Old Thu Jul 18, 2013, 12:02pm
Working Mom Referee

lol @ 'being the subject of one too lazy to jog up the court" ohhh lol sad but true!