The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sun Jul 14, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

Random partners

Normally I try and work with my normal partner, but got called for an AAU tourney this past weekend. Got paired with an interesting fellow for a few games. It was two man, and he didn't shift properly based on where the ball went out of bounds, wouldn't properly bounce the ball to the players, as the lead he wouldn't run to the baseline, sometimes he never got down there on a short possession, and other unprofessional things.

My question is how do I deal with this? I am in my thirties and this gentlemen was in his late forties or early fifties, so I don't want to be "out of line". I have seen him as a varsity level official. In the third game I started to do the cool "hang ten" hand motion to switch sides to be in the proper place because I became sick of bouncing the ball across the lane on the baseline.

I feel you should always officiate to the best of your abilities no matter the contest. Being somewhat new to officiating, I don't want an assignor to see me out of position or improperly officiating for future assignments.

What do you think?

Pfan
Old Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:19pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Summer ball? I'm going to bounce across the lane on a regular basis as lead rather than rotating over; especially if I'm working extra (more than two consecutive) games. If my partner doesn't like it, I'll adjust, but most guys around here will do this.

Are you saying he walked down the court as lead?
Old Sun Jul 14, 2013, 10:27pm
Official Forum Member

Summer ball is a different animal. Games are on a time schedule. We try to keep things moving. Do we switch on every foul? No. Do we rotate on every OOB call? No. Do we walk all the way to the reporting area to signal a foul? No. Do we go to the proper positions for timeouts during every timeout? No.

Summer ball is a different animal.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 05:51am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Agreed

Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Summer ball is a different animal. Games are on a time schedule. We try to keep things moving. Do we switch on every foul? No. Do we rotate on every OOB call? No. Do we walk all the way to the reporting area to signal a foul? No. Do we go to the proper positions for timeouts during every timeout? No.

Summer ball is a different animal.
We have 70 minutes from the start of game one to the start of game two. 28 minute running clock - clock only stops for TO's and all whistles w/ 2 min left in the game. Clock doesn't even stop for FT's. 2 x 30 sec TO's per half - they don't carry over. 3 min half time.

There's still stuff for me to work on and keep active.

"Coach, take all the time you want with those subs."

Last edited by grunewar; Mon Jul 15, 2013 at 09:23am.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 05:57am
Esteemed Forum Member

Relaxed Fit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Summer ball? I'm going to bounce across the lane on a regular basis as lead rather than rotating over; especially if I'm working extra (more than two consecutive) games. If my partner doesn't like it, I'll adjust, but most guys around here will do this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BktBallRef View Post
Agree, especially if both the assigner, and your partner, are on the same page. We use similar "relaxed" mechanics here in our Catholic middle school games, during the regular season.

But please note, nobody around here would ever use these "relaxed" mechanics during any of our regular season high school games (any level), or during any regular season middle school games assigned by our high school assigner.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 06:32am
Do not give a damn!!

It is summer ball for God's sake. Nothing is done the proper way to the letter. Heck I have as Trail bounced the ball to the opposite side of the court on a throw-in.

I worked an AAU Tournament this past week, ending Friday. Games were stop clock as normal and shot bonus at 10 fouls. There were many times we did not switch and we did not move mechanically to keep games moving. The only time I would do all the mechanics properly, is at camp during the summer. Otherwise we are trying to keep moving and save legs. In some cases I did 6 games in a row and I will be damned I was going to do everything perfect. And you deal with it because it is summer. Work on other things like your play calling and coverage areas.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:31am
Back from the DL

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
It is summer ball for God's sake. Nothing is done the proper way to the letter.
One exception: Ref camp.

The summer ball, "move things along" attitude will certainly affect your evaluation there, and it's a tough mentality to break when all officials are in shorts, games are the usual running-time procedure, and few players wear numbers.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:35am
certified Hot Mom tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
One exception:
.....and it's a tough mentality to break when all officials are in shorts
And wearing belts.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 10:58am
Official Forum Member

Padg -

You think BMac wears a psi if shorts that needs a belt ????
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:24am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bainsey View Post
One exception: Ref camp.

The summer ball, "move things along" attitude will certainly affect your evaluation there, and it's a tough mentality to break when all officials are in shorts, games are the usual running-time procedure, and few players wear numbers.
You obviously did not read my entire comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
. The only time I would do all the mechanics properly, is at camp during the summer.
I am aware of the difference, but this was not a camp setting this guy was working or participating in. And what happens in a camp might be subjected to who is running the camp. A lot of camps are not run the same and in some cases do not want certain things done as to either keep the games moving or would not be appropriate for the setting. For example some places do not have a regular bench and table area, so you adjust. But I agree that you do everything there unless is it otherwise stated.

Peace
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 11:30am
Official Forum Member

As for wondering if you should approach him or not. Assigners at all levels are looking for leaders...crew chiefs..."Referees". Those types of people are not afraid to ask questions or talk to people...sometimes you also must lay down some tough love...it is all part of the job.
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 05:26pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Hot Pants Don't Require A Belt ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Padgett View Post
And wearing belts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Multiple Sports View Post
Shorts that need a belt?
Shut up. And, shut up.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 05:29pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Rookies Can Be So Cute ...

My only exception to the "relaxed" mechanics summer "rule", other than for a camp, is if I'm working with a rookie who wants to work on his, or her, mechanics. If that's the case, then I'll be glad to play along, as long as if it's only for a game, or two.

Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 09:00pm
Official Forum Member

It's hard to describe in words, but he would let the ball fall out of his hands and usually the player had to go out of position to get it. It appeared to everyone to be extremely lazy and like he didn't want to even be there.

As far as the lead going down to the paint, he walked his way down there. Some plays he never got to the baseline. Again, laziness and didn't want to be there.

I'm looking to move up the ranks, do some varsity this year, state tourny by the time I turn 40, college ball (someday), etc. I understand it's summer ball, but as officials, don't we always want to put our best foot forward?

pfan
Old Mon Jul 15, 2013, 09:02pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfan1981 View Post
... I understand it's summer ball, but as officials, don't we always want to put our best foot forward?

pfan
No. Just like not every employee at your local Walmart will give you the same level of customer service.