The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 01:57am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
You won't see a whistle blown regularly on this play because it was a legal play.
Not according to the NBA website:

NBA.com - NBA’s Misunderstood Rules
If a player has one foot on the floor or lands with one foot first to the floor, he may only pivot with that foot. Once that foot is lifted from the floor to shoot or pass it may not return until the ball is released. If a player jumps off one foot on the count of one he may land with both feet simultaneously for count two.
He caught the dribble with one foot on the floor in front of the 3-point line. He stepped back with the other foot and then back for another step with the first foot.

That, according to the NBA rule, is indeed a travel.
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 02:11am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
Not according to the NBA website:

NBA.com - NBA’s Misunderstood Rules
If a player has one foot on the floor or lands with one foot first to the floor, he may only pivot with that foot. Once that foot is lifted from the floor to shoot or pass it may not return until the ball is released. If a player jumps off one foot on the count of one he may land with both feet simultaneously for count two.
He caught the dribble with one foot on the floor in front of the 3-point line. He stepped back with the other foot and then back for another step with the first foot.

That, according to the NBA rule, is indeed a travel.
The pivot foot is the left foot on this play. He caught the ball with the right foot on the floor...step one is the one made by the left foot as it happened after he gained control of the ball. He then stepped with the right back. This is the second step and made the left foot the pivot foot.

Another thing, that website is old...it uses old language that the rule book does not use anymore. The rule I quoted is from the current rule book. What you've quoted is referencing language from 2008 I believe (and even then, I don't believe this would have been a violation back then either).
Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Only the ladder is real. The climb is all there is.

Old Thu May 30, 2013, 02:36am
Official Forum Member

Here is Joe Borgia, NBA Vice President of Referee Operations, on Making the Call with Joe Borgia. He explains it quite well...

Chaos isn't a pit. Chaos is a ladder. Many who try to climb it fail and never get to try again. The fall breaks them. And some, given a chance to climb, they refuse. They cling to the realm, or the gods, or love. Illusions.

Old Thu May 30, 2013, 06:14am
Esteemed Forum Member

What About Bob Pettit ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeschmit View Post
The St. Louis area, with no NBA team ...
What about the Hawks? Wait? I'm being told ... what? Where? Atlanta? Never mind.

"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 11:59am
9/11 - Never Forget

Send a message via Yahoo to grunewar
Game 4 Update......

NBA fines Heat's James, Pacers' West, Stephenson for flopping
Old Thu May 30, 2013, 04:22pm
Official Forum Member

Old Thu May 30, 2013, 05:40pm
NFHS Official

I thought the illegal screen on LBJ was right.

I don't know the NBA rule set, but for NFHS I believe it is a travel.

On the verticality play, I thought it was a good call.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 01:12am
Official Forum Member

Did anyone notice that the old trail made that call on the illegal screen, almost from half court? Crawford was right in front of the call and it was inside the arc. He was C at the time, transitioning to trail (the lead was across the lane as the whistle was blown) and was right in front of the play.

I just thought that coverage was rather odd considering Crawford was right in front of the matchups and gave the call up yet the trail was the one who made that call from that far back.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 01:40am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by APG View Post
Another thing, that website is old...it uses old language that the rule book does not use anymore. The rule I quoted is from the current rule book. What you've quoted is referencing language from 2008 I believe (and even then, I don't believe this would have been a violation back then either).
That website is the NBA's own website. How is anyone supposed to know that a currently published description of the rule by the NBA is not current? I could see it being out-of-date if it was a 3rd party or if it was just changed, but 5 years!
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 08:37am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMBReferee View Post
Did anyone notice that the old trail made that call on the illegal screen, almost from half court? Crawford was right in front of the call and it was inside the arc. He was C at the time, transitioning to trail (the lead was across the lane as the whistle was blown) and was right in front of the play.

I just thought that coverage was rather odd considering Crawford was right in front of the matchups and gave the call up yet the trail was the one who made that call from that far back.
Crawford is focused on the dribbler and the player sliding over to defend the dribbler. Especially because the dribbler "didn't use the screen", it's a great call for the off-ball official to get.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 08:48am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:

There is nothing weird or unusual about that call at all. For one when 3 players come together on the perimeter, the official with secondary coverage needs to come and help. And the contact took place at the top of the circle area and LBJ came from the other side of the court to the ball. Great call by the T. If anything that play could blow up on Crawford and not know why a player is falling down.

I know I had a situation in camp where this kind of situation happened where I was "On ball" and a screen took place around the ball. I did not call a foul because I did not really see the entire play and when the evaluator commented on the play they talked about how "we" missed it. But mostly let me off the hook by saying, "You were on ball and needed help from your partner." In my experience as well this is a good get from another official because the player likely came from someone's primary to the ball to set a screen. I also know an former NBA official/current NBA evaluator in my area often talks about this kind of play and needed two officials to officiate the area in these situations.

Peace
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 09:13am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
There is nothing weird or unusual about that call at all. For one when 3 players come together on the perimeter, the official with secondary coverage needs to come and help. And the contact took place at the top of the circle area and LBJ came from the other side of the court to the ball. Great call by the T. If anything that play could blow up on Crawford and not know why a player is falling down.

I know I had a situation in camp where this kind of situation happened where I was "On ball" and a screen took place around the ball. I did not call a foul because I did not really see the entire play and when the evaluator commented on the play they talked about how "we" missed it. But mostly let me off the hook by saying, "You were on ball and needed help from your partner." In my experience as well this is a good get from another official because the player likely came from someone's primary to the ball to set a screen. I also know an former NBA official/current NBA evaluator in my area often talks about this kind of play and needed two officials to officiate the area in these situations.

Peace
Had a play like this in a college game this year. I was trail and had no idea where the screen came from and if it was legal. The Lead reached all the way up to the top of the free throw circle. I thanked him for it at halftime.
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 10:43am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I find your surprise at this rather odd. If old trail can't call this, is there anything at all you would consider that position responsible for on a play like this one? Seems to me this is his call to make all the way.

West Houston Mike
Old Fri May 31, 2013, 11:47am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
That website is the NBA's own website. How is anyone supposed to know that a currently published description of the rule by the NBA is not current? I could see it being out-of-date if it was a 3rd party or if it was just changed, but 5 years!
Dunno...I will say that in the 2012-2013 NBA Officials Media Guide, their misunderstood rules section uses similar language to what you posted. So it's seems the NBA is just not being clear with what they mean.