The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 06:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Confused In Connecticut ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
Are you using the FIBA definitions here?
NFHS: A team tries to score by shooting the ball into their own basket.

Am I right, or do I have this half-ass-backward?
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 06:06pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Equipment ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe it is written somewhere that you can throw the ball off your own backboard without violating. Don't believe it has anything to do with being considered a try.
You may be right? Something about being allowed to use one's own "equipment"? I never did like that citation, mainly because I never really understood the rationale behind it, and how the interpretation related to the rules, as written.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 06:10pm
Esteemed Forum Member

9.5 Situation ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
I believe it is written somewhere that you can throw the ball off your own backboard without violating. Don't believe it has anything to do with being considered a try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
You may be right? Something about being allowed to use one's own "equipment"? I never did like that citation, mainly because I never really understood the rationale behind it, and how the interpretation related to the rules, as written.
9.5 SITUATION: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he/she throws the
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used. In (b) and
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official
constitutes another dribble, provided A1 is first to touch the ball after it
strikes the official or the board. (4-4-5; 4-15-1, 2; Fundamental 19)

4-4-5: A ball which touches the front faces or edges of the backboard is
treated the same as touching the floor inbounds.

4-15-1: A dribble is ball movement caused by a player in control who bats
(intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once
or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own
backboard.

Fundamental 19: A ball which touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same
as touching the floor inbounds, except that when the ball touches the thrower’s
backboard, it does not constitute a part of a dribble.

Food for thought: A1 dribbles and comes to a stop after which he throws the
ball against his own backboard ... and catches the ball ... RULING: Legal ... a team’s own backboard
is considered part of that team’s “equipment” and may be used.

My question: Can he legally start a new dribble?

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 10, 2013 at 06:30pm.
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 08:33pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by maven View Post
That's right. Throwing the ball off your own backboard is treated as a dribble. If a player has picked up (ended) his dribble and then throws the ball off the backboard, that would constitute an illegal dribble.

A player who receives the ball, throws the ball against his own backboard, and continues to dribble the ball after it returns to the floor has not violated.

I've never seen either one.

Wrong.

Everything you say is true if you throw it off the OPPONENT'S backboard.

You've got ends of the floor confused.

"You should never be proud of doing the right thing." - Dean Smith
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 10:09pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay R View Post
Not ALL levels. FIBA would be illegal.
Forgive me but I do not think of FIBA on any level in the rules department.

Peace
Old Wed Apr 10, 2013, 10:13pm
Do not give a damn!!

People also get these distinctions mixed up too, because in a sport like football you score points at the opponents end zone and defend your end zone. I see people get these mixed up in other sports where that classification is not the same as it relates to other sports where a "goal" is usually scored. It think soccer uses the same definitions as you see in football.

Peace
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 12:39pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
ball against: (a) his/her own backboard; (b) the opponent’s backboard; or (c) an
official and catches the ball after each. RULING: Legal in (a); a team’s own backboard
(c), A1 has violated; throwing the ball against an opponent’s backboard or an official

(intentionally strikes the ball with the hand(s)) or pushes the ball to the floor once
or several times. It is not a part of a dribble when the ball touches a player’s own
backboard.

Fundamental 19: A ball which touches the front face or edges of the backboard is treated the same

ball against his own backboard ... and catches the ball ... RULING: Legal ... a team’s own backboard

Another question: If the carom goes into A1's backcourt and A1 is the first to touch the ball, has A1 committed a backcourt violation?
Old Thu Apr 11, 2013, 02:07pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Like The Way You Think ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
Another question: If the carom goes into A1's backcourt and A1 is the first to touch the ball, has A1 committed a backcourt violation?
Good one.

Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 06:28am
Esteemed Forum Member

Tuff Enuff (Fabulous Thunderbirds) ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevadaref View Post
Channeling my inner JR in his memory.
Anybody as tough as Jurassic Referee to tackle this one?

Quote:

backboard.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post

Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 07:04am
Official Forum Member

Here are my answers which are based upon the definitions of player and team control.
1. As the player relinquished player control by throwing the ball off the backboard in his frontcourt, if he is able to retrieve the ball he has all rights as if he just caught a pass from a teammate.

2. Since only player and not team control ended, it would be a backcourt violation. The thrown ball does not automatically equate to a try for goal.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:02pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Thanks ...

Quote:
2. Since only player and not team control ended, it would be a backcourt violation. The thrown ball does not automatically equate to a try for goal.
Agree.

Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:08pm
Esteemed Forum Member

I Need A Little More Convincing ...

Quote:
1. As the player relinquished player control by throwing the ball off the backboard in his frontcourt, if he is able to retrieve the ball he has all rights as if he just caught a pass from a teammate.
So let me see if I have this straight. The player ends his dribble. Now he throws it off his own backboard, it's a throw, not a try. The ball bounces off his own backboard, and, by definition, this act does not constitute a part of a dribble. The player now catches the ball as it bounces off his own backboard. All legal so far.

Now you're going to allow him to start a new dribble? I need more convincing, and remember, this was a throw, not a try.

NFHS 9-5: A player shall not dribble a second time after his/her first dribble has ended, unless it is after he/she has lost control because of:
ART. 1 . A try for field goal.
ART. 2 . A touch by an opponent.
ART. 3 . A pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player.

Did the player lose control because of a try? No.
Did the player lose control because of a touch by an opponent? No.
Did the player lose control because of a pass or fumble which has then touched, or been touched by, another player? No.

So why are you allowing the player to dribble a second time?

Last edited by BillyMac; Tue Apr 16, 2013 at 04:12pm.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 04:22pm
Esteemed Participant

Quote:
Here are my answers which are based upon the definitions of player and team control.

Not sure I agree with your #1.

4-4-5 tells us that a ball hitting the backboard is treated the same as a ball hitting the playing court. 4-15 tells us that throwing the ball off the backboard is not part of the dribble, but the dribble ends when the player catches the ball. So if he bats the ball up off the backboard and catches it, his dribble ends at the catch. He can't dribble again.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyroad View Post
Not sure I agree with your #1.

4-4-5 tells us that a ball hitting the backboard is treated the same as a ball hitting the playing court. 4-15 tells us that throwing the ball off the backboard is not part of the dribble, but the dribble ends when the player catches the ball. So if he bats the ball up off the backboard and catches it, his dribble ends at the catch. He can't dribble again.
I think I agree with you. The player may have lost player control but not in a way that grants them the right to dribble again.

Even if the player catches the ball after having dribble, then throws it off the board, and then catches it again, the player is legal as that action is not considered a dribble. But it would be a violation to dribble again.
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
I think I agree with you. The player may have lost player control but not in a way that grants them the right to dribble again.

Even if the player catches the ball after having dribble, then throws it off the board, and then catches it again, the player is legal as that action is not considered a dribble. But it would be a violation to dribble again.
I'm not disagreeing but I am trying to understand what category this "throw" falls under. It's not a dribble but we aren't going to let the player dribble again? It's not a shot but we will let the player catch the carom and shoot it? If the carom goes into the backcourt, we won't allow him to retrieve it legally? If it's not a pass, shot, dribble or fumble, what rules are we using to make our assumptions on what this player may do legally after retrieving this "throw"?