The Official Forum

The Official Forum (https://forum.officiating.com/)
-   Basketball (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/)
-   -   Pass Off Backboard (https://forum.officiating.com/basketball/94754-pass-off-backboard.html)

Gargil Wed Apr 10, 2013 07:43am

Pass Off Backboard

I saw LebRon James passed the ball to himself off the backboard after he had ebded his dribble. Is this legal in NFHS?

JRutledge Wed Apr 10, 2013 07:44am

It is legal at all levels. It is only a dribble if you throw the ball off your opponent's basket.

Peace

APG Wed Apr 10, 2013 07:45am

Legal play at all levels of play

Edit: Except apparently for FIBA

Raymond Wed Apr 10, 2013 08:50am

You must never have seen Moses Malone play.

dahoopref Wed Apr 10, 2013 08:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by badnewsref (Post 890247)
you must never have seen moses malone play.

lmao!

Jay R Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:43am

Quote:

Originally Posted by JRutledge (Post 890234)
It is legal at all levels. It is only a dribble if you throw the ball off your opponent's basket.

Peace

Not ALL levels. FIBA would be illegal.

APG Wed Apr 10, 2013 10:53am

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay R (Post 890277)
Not ALL levels. FIBA would be illegal.

Is that only because FIBA makes the opposite distinction between an opponent's basket and one's own basket?

rockyroad Wed Apr 10, 2013 11:12am

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 890247)
You must never have seen Moses Malone play.

Ha!!

BillyMac Wed Apr 10, 2013 04:28pm

Self Pass And Dunk ???

NFHS. We've discussed this many times before here on the Forum. Many believe that anything thrown off of one's own backboard should, or must, be treated as a shot, so all bets are off in regard to illegal dribble, travel, team control, etc. I'm not sure that there is a written citation that confirms this, but this is what most follow in regard to such a play.

Raymond Wed Apr 10, 2013 04:31pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillyMac (Post 890381)
NFHS. We've discussed this many times before here on the Forum. Many believe that anything thrown off of one's own backboard should, or must, be treated as a shot, so all bets are off in regard to illegal dribble, travel, team control, etc. I'm not sure that there is a written citation that confirms this, but this is what most follow in regard to such a play.

I believe it is written somewhere that you can throw the ball off your own backboard without violating. Don't believe it has anything to do with being considered a try.

Freddy Wed Apr 10, 2013 04:34pm

Just Making Sure

We are talking about the front of the backboard, right?

:D

maven Wed Apr 10, 2013 05:12pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by BadNewsRef (Post 890382)
I believe it is written somewhere that you can throw the ball off your own backboard without violating. Don't believe it has anything to do with being considered a try.

That's right. Throwing the ball off your own backboard is treated as a dribble. If a player has picked up (ended) his dribble and then throws the ball off the backboard, that would constitute an illegal dribble.

A player who receives the ball, throws the ball against his own backboard, and continues to dribble the ball after it returns to the floor has not violated.

I've never seen either one. :)

Adam Wed Apr 10, 2013 05:18pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 890390)
That's right. Throwing the ball off your own backboard is treated as a dribble. If a player has picked up (ended) his dribble and then throws the ball off the backboard, that would constitute an illegal dribble.

A player who receives the ball, throws the ball against his own backboard, and continues to dribble the ball after it returns to the floor has not violated.

Are you using the FIBA definitions here?

Raymond Wed Apr 10, 2013 05:20pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by maven (Post 890390)

I believed you have misread my post and the rule.

Jay R Wed Apr 10, 2013 06:00pm

Quote:

Originally Posted by APG (Post 890280)
Is that only because FIBA makes the opposite distinction between an opponent's basket and one's own basket?

I don't think so. FIBA releases interpretations yearly and we were told to treat a pass off the backboard (any backboard I believe) as a dribble.