The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 08:38pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
I'm not disagreeing but I am trying to understand what category this "throw" falls under. It's not a dribble but we aren't going to let the player dribble again? It's not a shot but we will let the player catch the carom and shoot it? If the carom goes into the backcourt, we won't allow him to retrieve it legally? If it's not a pass, shot, dribble or fumble, what rules are we using to make our assumptions on what this player may do legally after retrieving this "throw"?
You could consider it a special exception in the rules, only applicable to a specific situation (being allowed to catch the ball) but not stretched beyond. IOW, the player can catch the ball and dunk, as it's legal to throw the ball off of the backboard and retrieve it. He cannot, however, he doesn't get a new dribble or a fresh start in the BC.

Just thinking "out loud."
Old Tue Apr 16, 2013, 10:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronny mulkey View Post
I'm not disagreeing but I am trying to understand what category this "throw" falls under. It's not a dribble but we aren't going to let the player dribble again? It's not a shot but we will let the player catch the carom and shoot it? If the carom goes into the backcourt, we won't allow him to retrieve it legally? If it's not a pass, shot, dribble or fumble, what rules are we using to make our assumptions on what this player may do legally after retrieving this "throw"?
Seems like more like a fumble.

However, if I see it in a game, I'm probably going to judge it to be a try unless it is obvious that it is not.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 09:21am
Official Forum Member

Cameron: "However, if I see it in a game, I'm probably going to judge it to be a try unless it is obvious that it is not. "
It seems that we're over-thinking this. The simplicity of the wording by the NF leads me to feel that they want virtually any ball thrown off a player's own backboard to be considered the same as a definite "try". Thus, all subsequent action(s) by that player are to be judged with similar parameters.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 10:41am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob1968 View Post
Cameron: "However, if I see it in a game, I'm probably going to judge it to be a try unless it is obvious that it is not. "
It seems that we're over-thinking this. The simplicity of the wording by the NF leads me to feel that they want virtually any ball thrown off a player's own backboard to be considered the same as a definite "try". Thus, all subsequent action(s) by that player are to be judged with similar parameters.
You are, of course, right. But it is overthinking that can lead to understanding the true meaning of the related rules whether it is for this situation or others that will require knowing the exact meaning of the rules.
This is just good exercise in rules study.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:00pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
So A1 gets stuck behind his own basket, A1 throws the ball at the bottom flat edge of the backboard and catches it, he should now be allowed a new dribble b/c you are judging what he did as a try?
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 02:31pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadNewsRef View Post
So A1 gets stuck behind his own basket, A1 throws the ball at the bottom flat edge of the backboard and catches it, he should now be allowed a new dribble b/c you are judging what he did as a try?
He did use the qualifier "virtually". I think your sitch would be the exception to everything else he said.

West Houston Mike
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 03:33pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Keep It Simple Stupid ...

Quote:
The simplicity of the wording by the NF leads me to feel that they want virtually any ball thrown off a player's own backboard to be considered the same as a definite "try".
I disagree with the idea that the Federation wants us to treat virtually all of these as a try because if they wanted that, they would have said it, in either the rule, or in a case play.

However, unless it's some type of written rules exam, I believe that most of us, possibly including me, would treat virtually all of these as a try, whether we're backed by rule, or not.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Wed Apr 17, 2013 at 05:47pm.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 05:04pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
I disagree with the idea that the Federation wants us to treat virtually all of these as a try because if they wanted that, they would have said it, in either the rule, or in a case play.

However, unless its some type of written rules exam, I believe that most of us, possibly including me, would treat virtually all of these as a try, whether we're backed by rule, or not.
I see it's time for our annual, "Pass" of one's own backboard thread.

I am of the camp that anything, no matter how ugly it may seem, that is put towards one's basket is an attempt to score points. Even an alley-oop pass that goes in the bucket.
Old Wed Apr 17, 2013, 05:46pm
Esteemed Forum Member

Pepperidge Farm Remembers ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by deecee View Post
Even an alley-oop pass that goes in the bucket.
Anybody remember the time when, if the "pass" came from behind the three point arc, and accidentally went in, that it only counted as two points? It's true. It's true.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:50am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camron Rust View Post
You are, of course, right. But it is overthinking that can lead to understanding the true meaning of the related rules whether it is for this situation or others that will require knowing the exact meaning of the rules.
This is just good exercise in rules study.
I agree that your comment regarding the value of this discussion. The difficulty is in the application. Just last night, I had the wondeful, "But it was touched by the defense!" comment from a coach, when all the neccessary elements for my backcourt call were present . . .
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:54am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Because of this discussion, I'd consider not allowing a second dribble. But, it might be tempered by how much he!! I'd be willing to take, from the kid's coach, fans, my partner(s), at that moment . . .
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 08:58am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post

However, unless it's some type of written rules exam, I believe that most of us, possibly including me, would treat virtually all of these as a try, whether we're backed by rule, or not.
Case Book 4.15.4 C (c) indicates that the NF considers the second dribble to be legal. (This is the simple wording I was refering to, earlier.)

Last edited by Rob1968; Thu Apr 18, 2013 at 08:58am. Reason: spelling
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:04am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Case Book 4.15.4 C (c) indicates that the NF considers the second dribble to be legal. (This is the simple wording I was refering to, earlier.)
Only if it is judged to be a try. Otherwise there would not be the need for this portion of the case play: " in an attempt to score (try), "
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:10am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Only if it is judged to be a try. Otherwise there would not be the need for this portion of the case play: " in an attempt to score (try), "
Agreed. Has any of us ever seen, a) a player attempt to utilize this action? - b) an official call the second dribble a violation? The frequency of such actions must be minute.
Old Thu Apr 18, 2013, 09:41am
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Agreed. Has any of us ever seen, a) a player attempt to utilize this action? - b) an official call the second dribble a violation? The frequency of such actions must be minute.
Because of this thread it will probably happen in my next game.