The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Sat Apr 06, 2013, 08:51pm
Courageous When Prudent

Worry about what your partners, observers, and supervisors have to say about your professionalism.

And maybe the ADs and game admin who deal with you away from the court.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 01:34am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I recently was reviewing the rankings as provided by coaches and especially in the areas of professionalism. I was on both ends of the spectrum - either exceeds expectations or needs improvement. Let me also just say at the outset that I really hate coaches giving rankings on officiating crews - I am not a person who has been working in this area for 20 years, so not everyone knows my name like others. I am not sure how coaches can go back and evaluate officials when they don't remember their names. But thats another topic.

I am really struggling with this area and maybe because I am trying to define what "professionalism" means in the context of officiating. I did not have a single coach technical this year, in fact I felt that in most of the games I officiated, I personally did not have those situations where professionalism could be called into question. What's a little frustrating is that I actually felt overall this year, I handled coaches and players much better than in years past, yet my evaluation makes it appear that I got worse. The crews I worked with had very few problems, of course we had a coach here or there where we needed to take care of the situation, but for the most part it was a good year. I try to not put too much stock in this, but this is an area where its hard to read a book on, or study the rules more. Am I missing something or should I just let it go?
My views on professionalism usually have nothing to do with technical fouls. Are you hustling up and down the court, and getting in position? Are you officiating the game the same from beginning to end? Is a blowout officiated the same as a close game? Can I communicate with you or are you standoff-ish? On a foul, do you always give the mechanic in addition to the player number? Do you always make sure my team wins? Just kidding about the last one. Seriously, work hard, be consistent, and do all the little things.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 07:07am
Whack! Get Out!!!

Collectively, coach ratings can be useful. Take all the ratings and average them — and, assuming you collected enough data, you'll have a pretty good ranking of your officials from top to bottom. From what I have seen, this often mirrors ratings by other officials and observers ... There are differences, of course, but the same officials tend to be in the top quadrants across the board.

Individually, coach ratings of "needs improvement" as well as "excellent" can both be summarily ignored. They don't count for much and are often based on the coaches last experience with that official, whether he won/lost the game, etc.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 09:52am
Esteemed Forum Member

And Don't Try To Join Under Another Name ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad View Post
Collectively, coach ratings can be useful. Take all the ratings and average them, and, assuming you collected enough data, you'll have a pretty good ranking of your officials from top to bottom. From what I have seen, this often mirrors ratings by other officials and observers. There are differences, of course, but the same officials tend to be in the top quadrants across the board.
Brad: You have forfeited your official membership in the He Man Coaches Haters Club. You have forfeited any dues that you may have paid. Please turn in your badge, and secret decoder ring. No due process is needed here. We have you quoted on the internet, and, according to Abraham Lincoln, the dead president on the five dollar bill, we are supposed to believe everything that we read on the internet, and as we all know, "Honest Abe" would never lie about the internet.
"For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life." (John 3:16)

“I was in prison and you came to visit me.” (Matthew 25:36)

Last edited by BillyMac; Sun Apr 07, 2013 at 11:19am.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 09:04pm
Whack! Get Out!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyMac View Post
Brad: You have forfeited your official membership in the He Man Coaches Haters Club. You have forfeited any dues that you may have paid. Please turn in your badge, and secret decoder ring. No due process is needed here. We have you quoted on the internet, and, according to Abraham Lincoln, the dead president on the five dollar bill, we are supposed to believe everything that we read on the internet, and as we all know, "Honest Abe" would never lie about the internet.
Bwahahaha nicely played

Now I'm kind of interested in how well coach ratings and observer / official ratings reflect each other ... I was really only commenting based on my observation, which isn't really analysis of the data. Definitely going to look at this.
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 09:26pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Here in my little corner of the Constitution State, coaches have absolutely no say in regular season ratings, rankings, assignments, etc.
Making assignments and having input are not always the same exact thing. I am sure they have some input even if that input is indirect or with the people that make the actual decisions. Because if the coaches have a complaint, they will complain to someone. Now that might be taken for the most part as a grain of salt, but if their are a series of the same complaints coming over and over, I bet that has some influence on someone.

Peace
Old Sun Apr 07, 2013, 09:44pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRutledge View Post
Making assignments and having input are not always the same exact thing. I am sure they have some input even if that input is indirect or with the people that make the actual decisions. Because if the coaches have a complaint, they will complain to someone. Now that might be taken for the most part as a grain of salt, but if their are a series of the same complaints coming over and over, I bet that has some influence on someone.

Peace
I think any system (peer, observer, assignor-power) weeds out officials who received the same complaints over and over again.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 12:42pm
Keeper of the HAMMER

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coach Bill View Post
My views on professionalism usually have nothing to do with technical fouls. Are you hustling up and down the court, and getting in position? Are you officiating the game the same from beginning to end? Is a blowout officiated the same as a close game? Can I communicate with you or are you standoff-ish? On a foul, do you always give the mechanic in addition to the player number? Do you always make sure my team wins? Just kidding about the last one. Seriously, work hard, be consistent, and do all the little things.
I can tell you, there are differences in how I officiate a blow out vs a close game (this is the expectation in my area, not my preference). That said, the one thing I focus on in blow outs is hustle, making sure I'm still in position.

This point makes me wonder if you also officiate, or have at some time. Or do most coaches look for the foul mechanic?
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:14pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
...This point makes me wonder if you also officiate, or have at some time. Or do most coaches look for the foul mechanic?
I would think so.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:36pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
What does "usually do not have anything to do with TF's" mean to you coach. It does not seem to fit with your overall statement.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:41pm
Back from the DL

Quote:
Brad: You have forfeited your official membership in the He Man Coaches Haters Club.
Little Rascals/Our Gang reference. Nice.

That said, if we spend much time wringing our hands over the lower part of our ratings, shouldn't we spend just as much time patting ourselves on the back over the higher marks?

Of course, we typically don't do the latter, so why do the former? Pay attention to the collective.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 01:48pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam View Post
I can tell you, there are differences in how I officiate a blow out vs a close game (this is the expectation in my area, not my preference).
Same here. The bigger the score difference, the less/more advantage contact creates for one team vs the other.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 02:15pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallfouls View Post
What does "usually do not have anything to do with TF's" mean to you coach. It does not seem to fit with your overall statement.
Seems to fit his overall statement perfectly to me. None of the rest of his paragraph has anything to do with Technical Fouls. He's saying whether you do or don't call them has nothing to do with his interpretation of your professionalism ... and with the exception of those few officials who issue T's with vehemence and vitriole, I agree with him.

West Houston Mike
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 02:22pm
Courageous When Prudent

Quote:
... Can I communicate with you or are you standoff-ish? ...
I don't start the game standoff-ish, that always results from less than professional communication from the coach.
Old Mon Apr 08, 2013, 02:41pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packersowner View Post
I am really struggling with this area and maybe because I am trying to define what "professionalism" means in the context of officiating. I did not have a single coach technical this year, in fact I felt that in most of the games I officiated, I personally did not have those situations where professionalism could be called into question. What's a little frustrating is that I actually felt overall this year, I handled coaches and players much better than in years past, yet my evaluation makes it appear that I got worse. The crews I worked with had very few problems, of course we had a coach here or there where we needed to take care of the situation, but for the most part it was a good year. I try to not put too much stock in this, but this is an area where its hard to read a book on, or study the rules more. Am I missing something or should I just let it go?
Just relax. It's one data point. Coaches will give higher marks for professionalism for people they know and are comfortable with. Aggressive officials always get lower marks in this area when they are new or unknown, and if they are good officials, it is seen as "toughness".

Professionalism is really pretty easy. Earn your money. Show up on time, look good, know the rules, physically hustle/show passion for what you are doing, and treat everyone in the gym with the respect that they deserve. The last thing, and toughest thing, is to be the biggest person possible if someone doesn't show you the respect that you are showing them, while doing your job. You will never do it perfectly every night, but over time, you will maximize how "professional" you are, and my guess is that your ratings in this area will be pretty good if you consciously try to do these things.

Last point, coaches that hold grudges over legitimate T's are not terribly successful and don't last long, as a rule. No different than officials that hold grudges. Coaches and officials that are successful have to work together well. There are exceptions, but they are rare.