The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Basketball

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:14pm
Official Forum Member

Professionalism

How do you handle officials who actually think they are better then they actually are??

How do you handle officials who think they "have arrived" after only being on the University/College list for 1 year?

How do you handle officials who think they now have the right to talk down to up and coming officials?

How do you handle officials who do not respect the small colleges and treat them like second class citizens because they apparently made it to the big leagues now??

How do you handle the officials who have not earned respect from coaches and players but now seem to demand it just because of the level of official they are now??

How do you handle officials who actually have the nerve to ask the assignor to be chosen to go to a National Championship? Or who also asks to work the big high school tournaments because of their status??

How do you handle such an ego when in reality they are just above average, only made the University panel because another member moved away which opened up the spot and they are not getting the "big assignments" because every one else knows what a knob they are! haha
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Since you apparently have these problems in your own life...how do YOU handle them?
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:20pm
Official Forum Member

How do you handle officials who actually think they are better then they actually are??

The truth is that none of us are probably as good as we think we are.

How do you handle officials who think they "have arrived" after only being on the University/College list for 1 year?

First of all, that is your perception of them. Who cares? Not your problem. Worry about you instead.

How do you handle officials who think they now have the right to talk down to up and coming officials?

Not something I would spend any time worrying about.

How do you handle officials who do not respect the small colleges and treat them like second class citizens because they apparently made it to the big leagues now??

Not something I would spend any time worrying about.

How do you handle the officials who have not earned respect from coaches and players but now seem to demand it just because of the level of official they are now??

This is getting old....... Move on. You must have other things to worry about.
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:30pm
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by gottaluvhoops
I do not need to handle anything like that.

Quote:
Once again, not my problem.

Quote:
Another thing I do not worry about.

Quote:
I am not even sure I understand the question.

Quote:
Once again not an issue I try to deal with.

Quote:
How do you handle officials who actually have the nerve to ask the assignor to be chosen to go to a National Championship? Or who also asks to work the big high school tournaments because of their status??
Is that not an issue for the assignor?

Quote:
How do you handle such an ego when in reality they are just above average, only made the University panel because another member moved away which opened up the spot and they are not getting the "big assignments" because every one else knows what a knob they are! haha
What is the University panel? I have never heard of such thing.

It sounds like you have a lot of issues where you are. And it sounds like you are trying to control people that you have no right to control. Unless you are speaking as an assignor or evaluator, I really do not know how you could handle anyone but tell them the truth or take games away. It sound like you got too much involved in feelings of individual officials.

Peace
Old Mon Feb 11, 2008, 08:34pm
certified Hot Mom tester

OK, who's the official that got the assignment you wanted?
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 01:03am
Official Forum Member

Cool

I was just curious as to how some might handle the bigger than life egos out there in the officiating world as to not get sucked into it.

There was no assignment that this official received over any one else.

I know cream rises to the top!
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 01:27am
Do not give a damn!!

Quote:
I was just curious as to how some might handle the bigger than life egos out there in the officiating world as to not get sucked into it.

Unless you are a close friend or a mentor, I do not think it is in your best interest to be telling anyone what they should or should not do. For one they might tell you go fly a kite. And in the world of officiating, some people have to learn the hard way. You could organize some training that helps people realize that they should or should not expect in officiating but that is all you can do. After that all you can do is let people figure out what is their path. Some people will cut it and others will not cut it. All you can control is yourself.

Peace
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 07:23am
In Memoriam

Quote:

Zebraman gave you the best advice.

"Worry about you instead!"

That's professionalism.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 08:46am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

I work on what I can work on, and don't worry about things that are outside my control.

Maybe you and Joey Crawford could have a meeting under some bridge.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 09:38am
Lighten up, Francis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zebraman
Quote:

The truth is that none of us are probably as good as we think we are.
I didn't see this thread until this morning, but I think Z nailed the answer. Everybody thinks that they're better than they really are. That's why we go to camp, because objective observers see the flaws that we don't see in ourselves.

As for all the other stuff, others have already given you the answer. Control what you can control and don't worry about the other stuff. When you work with this guy, you can't control him or his ego or the respect that he gets. Just work the game as hard as you can and somebody will notice.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 10:38am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

Cream doesn't always rise to the top, just like in everything else in life. The harder you work, the better your chances of reaching your goals. These kinds of megalomanical folks tend to take care of themselves. Over time, most of them ultimately fail and drop. However, most people always seem to focus on the ones who haven't fallen. Work every game like its your last and your career depends on good crew performance.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:08am
Fav theme: Roundball Rock

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I didn't see this thread until this morning, but I think Z nailed the answer. Everybody thinks that they're better than they really are.
Yup.

Neil Payne, former DOO for the CFL, once said:

Quote:
If you were to ask an official and a coach how important an official was to a football game, responses would be light years apart, but in reality, an official is probably twice as important as a coach thinks he is, but only half as important as he thinks he is.
Works for ability too, though maybe not on a 2-to-1 scale.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:18am
Official Forum Member

Quote:

This is every official in my association......I just work with them. Get in get done, get out.

No seriously, we have a pretty good group of guys, I mean when there are only 42 of you, it's.....let's just say, we are what we are. We deal with it. I had one official during a college scrimmage, we were suppose to have 3 officials and he and I showed up, the 3rd didn't, he said to me, " I hesitate to go out there with just YOU", I dealt with his giant ego. I was in my 7th year, he in his 3rd, but he went to a camp to get college games and I did not. I am not interested in getting college games, I am 53 years old and got into officiating late in life. I love doing high school ball.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:29am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Have my assistant puke on their shoes.
Old Tue Feb 12, 2008, 11:40am
Official Forum Member

Send a message via AIM to Dan_ref
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scrapper1
I didn't see this thread until this morning, but I think Z nailed the answer. Everybody thinks that they're better than they really are. That's why we go to camp, because objective observers see the flaws that we don't see in ourselves.
There was a study done a while ago that showed people with less ability/aptitude for a certain thing tend to have a better view of how well they perform relative to others than people who have more talent (if that makes sense).

The idea is the more talent you have for something the more you see your own flaws, and you are less satisfied with how you do. Those with less talent don't see their own flaws.