The Official Forum  

Go Back   The Official Forum > Softball
Register FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search

LinkBack Thread Tools Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 07:49pm
Official Forum Member

I've been tagged with making a 15 minute presentation to our officials (baseball and softball, rookie to 25 year veterans) concerning PROFESSIONALISM.

I have a few ideas about:
personal appearance
promptness
rules knowledge
proper mechanics/positioning/hustle
communication/hand signals/voice
mutual respect
calm confidence, accept the emotional environment in which the game is played - expect excited responses
leadership
interaction with fans/crowd

I'm sure that will all fit in 15 minutes.

Give me some of your ideas of what you might talk about had you been tagged.

Thanks, Tony

Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 08:06pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
I've been tagged with making a 15 minute presentation to our officials (baseball and softball, rookie to 25 year veterans) concerning PROFESSIONALISM.

I have a few ideas about:
personal appearance
promptness
rules knowledge
mutual respect
calm confidence, accept the emotional environment in which the game is played - expect excited responses
leadership

I'm sure that will all fit in 15 minutes.

Thanks, Tony

I WAS tagged last year to give this same discussion. I basically talked about all the things you mentioned: looking the part, being to a game early, knowing the rules and mechanics, discussing the game with your partner. I also included examples of what make an umpire professional or not.

Professional: clean uniforms and gear, shiny shoes, confidence but not arrogance, calling the game without BEING the game, thinking the game, moving with runners, getting good position, calls coaches "coach" or "sir" or "Ma'am"---basically, doing everything we all do daily.

Unprofessional: shows up 5 minutes before game time, uniform is wrinkled/sloppy, dirty shoes, makes up rules, tries to dominate the game, yells at coaches, doesn't do pregame with partner, doesn't think the game, doesn't move during game, etc.

These were easy for me to come up with...I just looked at how several umpires in our association work...stand flatfoot an all plays, don't move with runners, horrible angles, signals are bad, make up rules to get out of games, concentrate on going home more than the game, etc.

Really, it sounds like you have a good list. The hardest part is getting it down to 15 minutes.
Old Wed Apr 07, 2004, 09:02pm
Ref Ump Welsch

Wink

I would avoid calling the coach "sir" or "maam". My UIC said saying anything other than "coach" could put those folks on a power trip that's going to make things worse. I would have to believe him, since he's been around for about 30 years, and has the girth to show it.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 07:03am
Official Forum Member

When giving ground rules, look the coaches & team captain in the eyes. AND DON'T WEAR SUNGLASSES WHILE GIVING GROUNDRULES !
I hate these UMPs who think they're motorcycle cops handing out a speeding ticket.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 10:31am
Official Forum Member

If I know both coaches, I will use their names. If I know neither or only one, then I'll address each as "coach".

I like to arrive early enough to review ground rules with the home coach. Then I will go over the ground rules during the pre-game plate meeting - having already had the time to address anything unusual or innapropriate with the home coach.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 11:33am
Official Forum Member

I agree with Chuck's comment about sunglasses and would take it one step farther. Take the sunglasses off whenever addressing a coach or player. I mean face to face, if you are telling a batter to get in the box, I don't mean take off the mask, glasses then. But is a coach comes out of the dugout to discuss (they never question, just discuss) a call take them off then also.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 11:46am
Official Forum Member

Here's some of my thoughts on some of these topics:

[QUOTE]Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown

Quote:
personal appearance
Uniform is clean, neat, not wrinkled, and worn properly. Hat is clean with no sweat stains. Shoes are clean (not necessarily shined to a high gloss)

Quote:
promptness
[/b]Be at the game site at least 30 minutes before game time. Be on the field in time to allow for equipment check, pregame conference, any pregame ceremonies.

Quote:
rules knowledge
[/b]Know the rules, study the book and other resources.

Quote:
[/b]Attend the clinics to learn this stuff. You look better when these things are done.

Quote:
[/b]Same as above

Quote:
mutual respect
[/b]If you want to be respected, show respect.

Quote:
leadership
Quote:
[/b]I think this one is dictated by each individuals personality. Some people can say and do things that others cannot or don't feel comfortable with.

Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:07pm
Official Forum Member

maybe tell the umps you will be checking the rule book at the end of the end of the year to see if it is still in their possession and looks read....
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 01:29pm
Official Forum Member

One big thing the NCAA is going after this year is professionalism OFF the diamond.

For example, being aware of who is around in the Hotel and Resturant. If you see the team or coaches in a resturant, then maybe you should find another place to eat.

Be carefull because the "Good Ol Boy" in the bar last night is really the All American Pitchers Dad and knows exactly what you were doing.

Be above Reproach......

Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 02:01pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by kellerumps
One big thing the NCAA is going after this year is professionalism OFF the diamond.

For example, being aware of who is around in the Hotel and Resturant. If you see the team or coaches in a resturant, then maybe you should find another place to eat.

Be carefull because the "Good Ol Boy" in the bar last night is really the All American Pitchers Dad and knows exactly what you were doing.

Be above Reproach......

How do they plan to draw the line? For example, when I am staying out of town to work some games, I like to have a beer or two with my dinner. Would that be "above reproach" in their eyes?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 02:22pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by DownTownTonyBrown
... snip ...

Thanks, Tony

I have a video tape of my last game if you want it.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 02:35pm
Official Forum Member

No having a Beer or two with dinner is not a problem.

All they are stressing is to be aware of who is sitting around you and watch what you say and how loud you say it.

I go out and have a good time when on the road....

That's all.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 02:45pm
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Is it an example of what to do, or what not to do?

It's a small world, but I wouldn't want to have to paint it.
Old Thu Apr 08, 2004, 05:01pm
Official Forum Member

Location: The Land Of The Free and The Home Of The Brave (MD/DE)
Quote:
Originally posted by Skahtboi
Quote:
Originally posted by CecilOne
Is it an example of what to do, or what not to do?
I guess you haven't observed my total lack of humility, but you will never see me modify a post with IMHO.
Old Fri Apr 09, 2004, 10:25am
Official Forum Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Ref Ump Welsch
I would avoid calling the coach "sir" or "maam". My UIC said saying anything other than "coach" could put those folks on a power trip that's going to make things worse. I would have to believe him, since he's been around for about 30 years, and has the girth to show it.
I respect your opinion, but it's a habit...I was raised to call everyone sir or maam...my family is pretty traditional. Sometimes, depending on the coach, I feel calling them sir/maam can defuse a situation. But then again, it could give "big head Todd" another dose of helium for his huge ego...just gotta read the situation.

That being said, if I know both coaches, and they know me, AND the call me by my name, I'll call them by their name.